I just changed my oil.... and......

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lharrell79

Reaction score
You can relax, it's not another oil thread. However, I just changed the oil for the first time on my new/used 07 FJR, and found a chunk in the oil catch pan.

I just got the bike about 3 weeks ago, and got around to changing the oil today. After I put the drain plug back in, I pulled the drain pan out from under, and to my surprise, there was a chunk of aluminum. It is about the size of a small piece of gravel. If you clipped off the tip of your key, it's about that size. Anyways, it's fairly mangled, but looks curved on one side. Possibly part of a tranny gear? The rest of the oil had already drained into the container of the catch pan, so there was no way to inspect the rest of it.

Should I be worried at all? The bike runs great, and shifts great. Should I just run her until something gives?

Thanks, Lucas

Last edited by a moderator:
the gears are not aluminum. Was there any other fine shavings or particles stuck to the drain plug?

You can relax, it's not another oil thread. However, I just changed the oil for the first time on my new/used 07 FJR, and found a chunk in the oil catch pan.
I just got the bike about 3 weeks ago, and got around to changing the oil today. After I put the drain plug back in, I pulled the drain pan out from under, and to my surprise, there was a chunk of aluminum. It is about the size of a small piece of gravel. If you clipped off the tip of your key, it's about that size. Anyways, it's fairly mangled, but looks curved on one side. Possibly part of a tranny gear? The rest of the oil had already drained into the container of the catch pan, so there was no way to inspect the rest of it.

Should I be worried at all? The bike runs great, and shifts great. Should I just run her until something gives?

Thanks, Lucas
How many miles are on the bike? When was the oil changed last? Who was the previous owner? Just need more info .

Mick

How many miles are on the bike? When was the oil changed last? Who was the previous owner? Just need more info .

Mick

[\quote]

I got the bike with 16175 on the clock. It's now got about 16500. The previous owner was an old man, who didn't do his own maintnence. As far as I understand, he took it to a little motorcycle repair shop in Sabinal, TX for the oil and tire changes. The oil that came out today looked pretty old.

Thanks, Lucas
Can't be good. Either it was a piece of crap that has been circulating in the engine since manufacture; wreaking all sorts of damage along the way or a chunk that broke off something in the engine. (piece of a piston skirt??) As someone mentioned, if it is, in fact aluminum (alloy), it can't be a tranny gear.

Good luck with it.

Iharrell,

Well I don't know what that Chunk is but Keep it along with your Oil Filter (I presume you changed it) just in case you may need it for inspection later. It may come in use IF you have a YES program still in place with this FJR...you can call 800-962-7926 Yamaha Customer Service-Cypress/CA to see if it does.

Looks like the previous Owner was charged but the work does not appear to have been done.

Hope everything continues to run well for you.

No offense here, but are you sure it's aluminum? Put a magnet to it make sure it's not steel.

I would change your oil again sooner then recommended to see if there are still metallic parts coming loose etc. If not no worries keep riding. If each time you change the oil and there are new metallic chunks in the oil something maybe coming apart.

Good luck. ;)

It's likely a piece of casting from one of the cases and it is too big to circulate. Toss it and enjoy your bike.

Not much you can do about now. If everything seems O.K. just keep riding and stay on top of you maintenance schedule.

Good luck,

Dave

Well, I rode her into work this morning, and all is well. Actually better than before. I'm thinking the oil that was in it before was crap. When I got the bike 3 weeks ago, I was having trouble with the clutch catching when I would let it out between gears. It would go something like this: Pull clutch in, shift, slowly let clutch out, nothing, nothing, catch. The clutch would catch suddenly. I just figured it was me getting used to a different bike.

I used Rotel tomato 5W40 synthetic during the oil change last night. A few things I noticed this morning were:

-The shifts are a little harder, but firmer. (Last week, when I would shift, it would slide into gear with ease, but almost seemed loose.)

-The clutch is much smoother now. (There is no sudden catch anymore. I just ease the clutch out, and catches like normal.)

-Before the oil change, temperature was 4-5 bars. This morning it was 3-4. However, it's 35F outside this morning.

-Before the oil change, when I would hammer the throttle from around 3000rpm, the motor would vibrate until around 5000rpm. I figured it was because I was so low in the rpms. This morning the vibrations around 3000rpm were very suttle. Again, this is only when I hammer the throttle. If i'm just cruising, and easing into the throttle, there are no vibes ever.

I'm probably going to change the oil after the next 1000 miles, just to see how it looks, and to check for more metal. The original oil almost looked muddy. I'm thinking it was old, and burned. With all that said, she still runs like a raped ape.

Lucas

It is NOT any gear as they are ALL made of steel, and it has NOT circulated anywhere as it would have been caught in the oil filter chamber.

If you want to get to the bottom of this, send a sample of oil to be analyzed. The report from that will determine the integrity of the engine by indicating how much and what kind of metal is floating around. Your dealer should have access to this, otherwise, look online for such companies.

Hope this helps

Open up the oil filter, if it's clear of any further debris, I would think the piece you found was an anomaly and feel pretty sure everything is okay.

Open up the oil filter, if it's clear of any further debris, I would think the piece you found was an anomaly and feel pretty sure everything is okay.
If the original oil was as bad as he described, shouldn't he be changing the oil filter anyway?

If the original oil was as bad as he described, shouldn't he be changing the oil filter anyway?
What he means is after removing the filter, cut it open and inspect the filtration system for contaminates. However most do not have a filter can-opener. A hack saw 'might' work but may also defeat the purpose as it will throw contaminates into the filter while cutting.

It will be fine; some what common keep in mind the people your asking do not do there on oil changes!!!
Welcome to the forum reecebike. Careful you don't make too many assumptions about people you don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts