"I want you to enjoy your bike."

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My heart goes out to you, I've gone down the road you're headed. It worked out good for us and hopefully it will for you to. Lean on family and friends, they are your support and know your needs the best. And this is kinda like a family, so we're here for you.

I am more frightened than I've ever been in my life. After 46 years of marriage, the thought of losing her is devastating. I can't use my usual therapy of riding, I don't want to be away from her, so other than a bit of shopping, the bike stays in the garage.
She is normally very strong in any sort of crisis, but this time she is not, and is frequently in tears. Not so much for herself, but, as usual, she is very concerned about the support she gives to others, particularly for the immediate family - she is a model mother and grandmother - for her brother and sister, for the voluntary work she has been doing in the local Children's Hospital, and for me.

Amongst her first words to me when we realised how serious this might be: "Whatever happens, I want you to enjoy your bike."
Whether you want them or not I will pray for you. That right there is a statement to how much she loves you and knows what makes you happy. She wants you to go on enjoying life no matter what happens. You have a special person to share your life with without a doubt. I would feel the same as you if I was in your shoes also. We just made 38 wonderful years ourselves. I will be hoping for the best for you. God bless your family through these times.

Dave

Hopes and prayers for your wife and you! positive thoughts all the way! Been married for 37 yrs myself and know that support of friends and family makes a lot of difference.

Ingie

Mcatrophy, I'm honestly hoping this is just a bump and can be fixed with a little medicine and a little time. You and your wife have been married nearly as long as I have been alive. You are doing the right thing. Stay by her side, and let everything else wait. We will worry about you and her from wherever our collective "here" is.

I don't pray much either. Sort of lost that a long time ago. However there are times when I just don't know what else to do. This would be one of those times. I'm hoping for the best for you!

You can't keep that stuff bottle up inside. 'Talking' to sort-of strangers on this forum can be good therapy, and it can help keep your sanity. I can't imagine what you are going through but I can send good karma your way. You've got a strong lady.
Quoting here because I think Flyer hit a real good point. I don't think we can do much, even with all the best wishes in the world, but what we can do, is be here. I hope you feel free to vent, rage, weep as needed, and maybe even, I hope, exult if it works out that way. But just having a place to go with all the feelings will definitely help, and I hope you feel free to use it extravagantly.

You yourself have been a real positive on this forum--your tutorials and photos on a lot of tech-y stuff have helped a lot of us, and you've always offered useful information generously. I can't do much in that line, but believe me, I can offer a sympathetic ear. What you're looking at now is something many of us may face, sooner or later, so please know we want to support you. And wish you both well.

I can't imagine how rough a time this is for you. She sounds like one hell of a loving and caring woman.

I'm hoping and wishing for the best possible outcome for you both.

I am not asking for prayers (that would be hypocritical of me). None of you know her (or me, for that matter). Family is, of course, rallying round and is providing support to both of us, I'm just outpouring here.
Meeting face to face doesn't mean we don't know a little something about you. Riding creates a family, and difficulty for one family member can be a difficulty for all. Offering prayers for strength for both of you, and hoping for the best possible outcome.

Thank you all for your good wishes and support, it is really appreciated.

We may not know everything about you, but who knows everything about anyone anymore? Although we do know something about you, we know you have a passion for some of the same things, that brings us together on this forum, we know you have a passion for riding on the other side of the road from us, and on the other side of the pond as us, and love showing us how that is done. Knowing what someone is passionate about, is knowing someone. I love that your wife is so supportive of you, and you of her. It brings me to emotion, that you two still care and feel so strongly about each other after 46 years or marriage. 46 years! You have been married a few years more than I have been alive! You two are very lucky, and I don't think that good fortune has left your sides yet. I will be sending good thoughts and wishes for the best outcome, your and your wife's way.

Very sorry to read this. I cannot imagine anything harder than losing a lifelong mate, or even the threat of it. Praying you both have many more years together; she sounds like a very special woman. No doubt, your presence and love are great solace for her.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot imagine your situation, anxieties, worries, or fears. Mrs. McAtrophy is in my prayers, which are not hypocritical, and I have summoned my strongest juju to send good vibes to the UK for your full family.

The love between you two is evident in your post. I am envious of that.

Just echoing what others have said, better than I could have. This is a great place to vent, and receive emotional support from your extended family of strangers.

Thoughts are with you, hoping for the best.

MCA - I hope you don't find this too nosey, but the suspense is concerning.

Is there any news? How are ya'll holding up?

Remember, no news is good news. Believe that.

(I'm putting this here because this is the nearest I have to Faceoff or Whatsit, I don't know where else to put out my thoughts.)
Wifey is ill, seriously ill. She's been unwell for months. She's been to the doctor many times with various issues, some new, some historical. We don't know whether this latest problem has been building, undetected, over time.

A week or so ago, she woke up and was obviously very jaundiced. Since then she's undergone various blood tests, so far showing something wrong with her liver function. She is on the verge of needing to be in hospital, and we've been given awful warnings that if she shows any signs of deterioration, she is to go in instantly.

So we know there is something wrong with her liver or bile ducts. But we don't know what. The immediate symptoms are serious, if any worse they are potentially life-threatening.

Yesterday she was given a CT scan, tomorrow she is going in for an ERCP, an extended gastroscopy that goes into the duodenum, and they will probe into the bike ducts looking for a blockage.

Best outcome: they find a stone blocking a duct, and can deal with the stone during the procedure (possibly draw it out or break it up). Worst outcome: cancer of the liver, potentially fatal.

I am not asking for prayers (that would be hypocritical of me). None of you know her (or me, for that matter). Family is, of course, rallying round and is providing support to both of us, I'm just outpouring here.

I am more frightened than I've ever been in my life. After 46 years of marriage, the thought of losing her is devastating. I can't use my usual therapy of riding, I don't want to be away from her, so other than a bit of shopping, the bike stays in the garage.

She is normally very strong in any sort of crisis, but this time she is not, and is frequently in tears. Not so much for herself, but, as usual, she is very concerned about the support she gives to others, particularly for the immediate family - she is a model mother and grandmother - for her brother and sister, for the voluntary work she has been doing in the local Children's Hospital, and for me.

Amongst her first words to me when we realised how serious this might be: "Whatever happens, I want you to enjoy your bike."

You made me cry. I have been married for 25 years to a wonderful woman. I feel your pain. I believe in God and I believe in an afterlife. If it is her time, kiss her and tell her that you will see her on the other side. If it is not her time, I pray that God heals her and gives you a few more years with her.

I have told my wife many times that if God calls me home, that she needs to have a great life. She needs to spend time with our kids and, if God desires, she needs to remarry. If your wife passes on, listen to her words. "Enjoy your bike" and enjoy your life. You will see her on the other side.

Best wishes to you and your wife.

MCA - I hope you don't find this too nosey, but the suspense is concerning.
Is there any news? How are ya'll holding up?

Remember, no news is good news. Believe that.
Not particularly good news. To cut a long story short, the CT scan shows a blockage in the base of the liver where the bile ducts come out. This means they couldn't use the originally proposed ERPC procedure (down the throat through into the duodenum), they couldn't get the probe right up the bile duct. So they attempted PTC (don't know what the initials stand for) where they go in through her side, into the liver, and attempt to reach the bile ducts that way. That failed because the swelling in the liver was causing too much constriction and the wire probe wouldn't get where they wanted. They've put in an external drain to get rid of some of the bile in the liver, and will attempt again, probably Tuesday, hoping the swelling will have reduced. That's all I know, but not all I fear.