IBR Tire Choice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colin24

IBA# 446
Reaction score
I will be running my '05 FJR in the IBR this year. As such I am looking for some info from any former IBR entrants who have run an FJR in the IBR. What tire did you use and did it go the whole way?

At the moment I am strongly considering the Pilot Roads and have a set on order that will go on the bike in the next couple weeks. Hope to run them to the end before the start of the rally.

Normally I run a Pirelli diablo/angel. I like the tire, good performance and reasonably good milaege. But it wont go the distance, I figure around 7000 miles maybe 8000 if I baby it. Which would mean having to change tires part way through the rally. Which is something I would really like to try and avoid.

And of course running a tire for 11 days straight at an IBR pace would tend to demand more from the tire than just bopping back and forth to work every day. so any input from IBR vetrans on this front would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

- Colin

Colin others have rode the IBR on Metzler 880's. Personally I would not do so due to poor wet weather ,tarsnake performance. Plus they are just OK in the dry compared to Pilot Road's. I would have new Pilot Roads at the start scrubbed in and swap out the rear at some checkpoint. So a extra rear wheel with tire scrubbed in is in order. You may be able to make it with the 880's, rember the increased risk of PUNCTURE and poor wet weather grip as the tire wears.. You have way to much at steak mentally, financialy and physically to squeak out this ride with one set of tires.

Have a great ride !!

Colin,

I always run PR2s...but this spring I installed a set of ME880s on a trial basis as I want to start the IBR on the 880s. I was concerned with the reports of cold/wet weather performance. Last weekend I rode the Cape Fear rally on the 880s. I rode through about 15 hours of torrential rains and extremely strong winds.... . On the way home I hit snow. Although the 880s are not PR2s, I was pleased with how they performed in weather given my expectations. Note that I am not an aggressive rider and that probably helped with my initial impression of the 880s.

Note: Although I am an IBR newbie, many of us on the IB5000 last year found that our tires were lasting longer than the same tire running regular local rides..... the slab runs probably had a lot to do with that. I still plan on replacing my tires at the first checkpoint as added insurance against punctures....

Last edited by a moderator:
Last weekend I rode the Cape Fear rally on the 880s. I rode through about 15 hours of torrential rains and extremely strong winds.... . On the way home I hit snow.
I had a coffee with Peter yesterday and he was telling me about the weather and snow storm you guys hit. I would've bagged it and skipped having the tale to tell :D

I ran PR2s during the 09 IBR and the 10n10. I changed tires mid-rally on both, simply because the opportunity to do so was too good to pass up (in 09 there was a checkpoint very near my house, and the 10n10 had me passing right by my good buddy's shop just before the checkpoint). I was pretty convinced that the PR2s would have lasted me the whole rally, so for the 10n10 I actually measured my tread depth each day to get an idea. Based on the rate of wear, and because I knew ahead of time that my route wouldn't be taking me on any serious non-pavement surfaces, I'm confident that the rear would have lasted the whole rally (the front did, plus CA to SLC and back, and then some). I've got a few sets of PR3s, but I don't feel like I have enough time to be sure that they're going to do the job. We picked up my used tire later that year, and it currently has over 11,000 miles on it and still rolling (about 5,500 rally miles, the rest non-rally).

So, given the original parameters, I had planned to run a single set of PR2s for the whole rally. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little apprehensive - a few good Canadian roads can leave even a brand new set of tires weeping for mercy - but I had a contingency plan and I figured it was the most reasonable option. Then the parameters changed. As such, I'm thinking once again that to pass up a gimme opportunity for a tire swap would be asking for Murphy's Law to come down on me with a vengeance. I plan on shipping a full wheel with the required tools, doing a quick swap, and shipping the old one home.

YMMV ;)

'07 with 10K miles on one ME880 and went the distance with cupping at 7K.

09 I went combo of a PR2 and leftover Azarro at LA with 12.5K total. No way I could have gone 12.5 on a single ME880.

I'd go the latter combo again.

Last weekend I rode the Cape Fear rally on the 880s. I rode through about 15 hours of torrential rains and extremely strong winds.... . On the way home I hit snow.
I had a coffee with Peter yesterday and he was telling me about the weather and snow storm you guys hit. I would've bagged it and skipped having the tale to tell :D
Steve that wasn't during the rally.... That was just getting home from...