Idle Issue?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karmak

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone else with a Gen II is experiencing a fluctuating idle, or are aware of any problems with the control chip. My '08 has experienced this from the day it was new. The idle goes uppity downity, not a lot - almost imperceptible on the tach, but noticeable. It does this despite whatever idle speed is set, additional fuel with an EFI controller, different Barbarian Jumper Mod settings, throttle bodies in synch, etc. Anyone else have this issue?

I also have a little bit of a jumpy idle....... I had to adjust the idle to the max setting to get it to idle at 1,100 rpms, I don't know if that's normal or not?? But in the end I guess the bike still runs good and its hardly noticeable so I don't worry about it. :unsure:

+1.....especially to the second poster.

If you have to turn the idle adjuster all the way in just to get to 1100rpm, THAT bike is in need of a TBS.

Could easily apply to the OP. Poorly sync'd carbs/throttle bodies will cause idle "hunting".

Well the bike was idling at about 800 rpms and I recently did a TBS and spark plug change. I changed the idle before the TBS and then after the TBS was done the idle still sat in the same spot (1,100)????? sorry not trying to hijack the thread

Same problem here on my '08. I did the TBS, and not much change. Like you, it's not a large fluctuation, but noticable.

How many miles on the bike? 20,000 or more?

Have the PAIR (Air Induction) System reeds been cleaned or blanking plates replaced to shut off PAIR System?

Carbon buildup on PAIR reeds can cause blow-back into the throttle bodies and cause irregular idle. SeaFoam is your friend.

Barbarian Jumper Mod on Gen-II typically makes the idle smoothness worse because the ECU "hunts" more often.

TBS and spark plugs are still by far the most common cause, as already mentioned above.

I also have a little bit of a jumpy idle....... I had to adjust the idle to the max setting to get it to idle at 1,100 rpms, I don't know if that's normal or not?? But in the end I guess the bike still runs good and its hardly noticeable so I don't worry about it. :unsure:
I'd recommend starting over with the TBS. You may have to reset Cylinder-3 to something like 1.5 turns CCW from shut, then match the other cylinders to #3 again. Typically TBS settings can creep out of range over time and you eventually run out of idle adjustment.

My experience is that most Gen-IIs with some miles on them, will idle 1,100 at 1.0 to 1.5 turns CCW on the idle adjust when TBS is properly set.

Sorry guys, but as in my post I said the TBS had been done with no change. Idle fluctuated same before Jumper mod. PAIR crap is gone/removed, but idle jumped around before that also. I did TBS on numerous occasions past two years and latest past weekend, everything is in synch, perfect. Judging by the replies, I am inclined to believe Bustanut's explanation, I had forgotten to synchronize the muffler bearings. I vaguely remember some vibration that may have originated in the bearings, but now I suspect the vibration has telescoped up to the idle adjustment.

Bustanut, do you do the procedure with an oscilloscope, or a sextant?

Bustanut, do you do the procedure with an oscilloscope, or a sextant?
I prefer a glow in the dark 19.2 volt vibrating butt plug over the aforementioned stuff.

Jus me though..

The queens here do enjoy the high voltage shit..

Howie?

:jester:

I too have noticed that the idle is jumpy. I just bought my 09 and it has a little over 130miles. Idling at 1K with a variance of .1K both sides. I also had it just shut off on me. I dont know if it was cause I was low on gas (2.4 miles on F-trip) or if I should look at the recall ignition switch...i should check just to be sure.

On a side note, what is TBS?

It's kinda wierd that my bike would exhibit the same issues...it's barely broke in ... >_<

Last edited by a moderator:
I too have noticed that the idle is jumpy. I just bought my 09 and it has a little over 130miles. Idling at 1K with a variance of .1K both sides. I also had it just shut off on me. I dont know if it was cause I was low on gas (2.4 miles on F-trip) or if I should look at the recall ignition switch...i should check just to be sure.
On a side note, what is TBS?

It's kinda wierd that my bike would exhibit the same issues...it's barely broke in ... >_<
TBS=Throttle body synchronization, similar to synching carbs. As your bike is breaking in the throttle bodies often get out of synch to some degree or another, causing some vibration, etc. The dealer can check it out down the line, or you can do it yourself. Many on this board do it themselves, it isn't hard once you do it the first time. There is more than enough help here for you to do it when the time comes and just do a search on TBS, you'll find a lot. Most use a synch unit made by Motion Pro for less than $100.00.

PS: Not likely your ignition, that takes place over time due to heat in the components, your bike is too new (if the problem is endemic to 09s). Maybe low gas, hit kill switch accidentally, idle dropped too low, etc. Try setting idle to 1200. Be careful about stalls going from a dead stop into a turn, the FJR is top heavy and you'll drop like a cartoon. Don't ask how I know. Blip the throttle a bit and take off straight for a couple of feet, then turn. If you're new to the FJR, you'll see how top heavy it is at rest, slow moving, etc. More chance of dropping it at stops, in your garage or the driveway than almost anywhere else!

Last edited by a moderator: