Idle speed adjustment on 2013 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_bris

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to adjust the idle speed on a Gen 3.

I had a high frequency vibration issue at around 60mph and have adjusted the TBS (idle only) and re-torqued all the engine mount bolts and the vibration problem has been resolved.

After doing the TBS adjustment it now idles at 1500rpm and I can't see how to adjust it down, although I have not pulled the tank off again to have a closer look.

Unfortunately in Australia the workshop manual is not yet available so I can't look up how to adjust the idle speed.

I would think it's in the same location as prior gens Dave.. I'm sure somebody with a gen 3 will chime in soon and berate me if I'm wrong

there is no idle adjustment knob on the Gen III. It's all electronic now. Shop manual says use the Yamaha Diagnostic Tool to check the" ISC leaning value".

Capture-11_zps2b16894e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume you mean it idles at 1500 when warm. Did you bump anything in the throttle actuation, or flop something over where it interferes with the throttle closing?

I will lift the tank on the weekend to ensure there is no obstruction to the cable and linkages. Good suggestion.

Yes it now idles at 1500 when warm.

I have a copy of the 2013 Service Manual (and User Manual) in .PDF format if you are interested.
I have a hard copy but would love to have a PDF of same. I use an iPad to carry all sorts of manuals, aviation charts and other reference material around when I travel. How might I get a PDF version?

I have a copy of the 2013 Service Manual (and User Manual) in .PDF format if you are interested.
I have a hard copy but would love to have a PDF of same. I use an iPad to carry all sorts of manuals, aviation charts and other reference material around when I travel. How might I get a PDF version?
Seriously, just talking about a PDF version of the FSM can get you some really hard stares around here.

Since your a FNG, it's only been a few days since you signed up for the Forum, so the Forum Guidelines should be fresh in your memory. But in case they aren't, let me remind you of Guideline #9:

9. FJRForum.com is aware of only one legitimate online source for copyrighted service manuals--that being Yamaha at this link. Promoting piracy or referencing spurious manuals that are too cheap to be legal on eBay or other websites is not allowed. (meaning you provide in advance compelling evidence it's a bonafide source to an admin) Buy a frickin' $90 manual for your $14K+ motorcycle! We've worked long and hard on this forum to as FJR owners and won't stick our finger in Yamaha's eye by ripping off manuals. And if a dealer offers to sell you an electronic copy....they're likely breaking the law too and probably irritating Yamaha corporate.

However, if you feel like taking your "legitimately purchased" FSM and running it thru a scanner for yourself, knock yourself out. Otherwise, asking for a source of illegally copied manuals is not a good idea on the FJR Forum.

Welcome to the forum....just don't poke the bear. :p

Seriously, just talking about a PDF version of the FSM can get you some really hard stares around here.

Since your a FNG, it's only been a few days since you signed up for the Forum, so the Forum Guidelines should be fresh in your memory. But in case they aren't, let me remind you of Guideline #9:

9. FJRForum.com is aware of only one legitimate online source for copyrighted service manuals--that being Yamaha at this link. Promoting piracy or referencing spurious manuals that are too cheap to be legal on eBay or other websites is not allowed. (meaning you provide in advance compelling evidence it's a bonafide source to an admin) Buy a frickin' $90 manual for your $14K+ motorcycle! We've worked long and hard on this forum to as FJR owners and won't stick our finger in Yamaha's eye by ripping off manuals. And if a dealer offers to sell you an electronic copy....they're likely breaking the law too and probably irritating Yamaha corporate.

However, if you feel like taking your "legitimately purchased" FSM and running it thru a scanner for yourself, knock yourself out. Otherwise, asking for a source of illegally copied manuals is not a good idea on the FJR Forum.

Welcome to the forum....just don't poke the bear.
tongue.png
Sorry, didn't know, among other things, that Yamaha for certain didn't provide such things. FYI, General Aviation aircraft manufacturers these day commonly provide, free of charge, all sorts of manuals in PDF and/or internet-inquiry mechanisms. Tjis includes maintenance manuals, owners manuals, parts lookups, etc.

Yep, the TBS can change your idle speed-it did when I did the TBS on my '04 at least. The few times I did the TBS it was only out a little and made only a slight difference as it adjusts the smoothness at idle only. Since the '13s require the shop tool to adjust the idle, I'll live with the idle smoothness as it is. However, it would seem to me, that you could adjust your idle down by adjusting all your TBS screws (up or down as needed) while keeping the vacuum even on all four. Anybody want to try? Later,,, De
smile.png

Yep, the TBS can change your idle speed-it did when I did the TBS on my '04 at least. The few times I did the TBS it was only out a little and made only a slight difference as it adjusts the smoothness at idle only. Since the '13s require the shop tool to adjust the idle, I'll live with the idle smoothness as it is. However, it would seem to me, that you could adjust your idle down by adjusting all your TBS screws (up or down as needed) while keeping the vacuum even on all four. Anybody want to try? Later,,, De
smile.png
Actually, the diagnostics can be reached on the GenIII on the multifunction screen by "booting" the bike in diag mode. The process is described in several places in chapter 8 of the Service Manual, though, and not real easy to find. I brought my bike up in this mode yesterday to check the state of the ISC (code 67).