If it is below 40 deg F, should I have the middle cowl open or closed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

should I have the middle cowl open or closed

• open (adjusted away from the frame) makes rider warmer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • closed (adjusted closest to the frame) makes the rider warmer

• It doesn't do a darn thing

• I'd rather have pie

• wgara

• free Britney

• Total voters
Like others, I had completely forgotten about that adjustable cowl until this thread/poll was started. In the last week I've had 2 morning commutes with temps right at freezing. The first morning I had the cowl closed and my legs were cold. This morning I had the cowls open and my legs were noticeably warmer.
Because my built in leg thermometers have been calibrated to standards traceable to NIST, I can definitively state that cowls open are warmer. Dont' try to argue; I'm right and you're wrong :excl: :devilsmiley:
I'm opposite.. Hot as hell, open cowls, felt no mo heat on the legs. So I figured ( :huh: ) must be warmer closed...

We'll see....

I wonder if we are all adjusting them "out" the same amount. What is the total travel from full in to full out?
Kurt
I had an interesting experience in figuring out the answer to your question. The all-knowing sales guy showed me how you can use a coin to unlock the cowl and move it out. When he did it, it only moved out a quarter inch or so. So initially I did the same thing, thinking it was simply slotted underneath and that this was the limit of travel. Then I saw a picture of how the cowls are really supposed to be opened. Wow, you need to actually pull those screws out, move the cowl outward and then reinsert the screws into the outboard captive nut. When the cowl is opened correctly, you can see the holes where the screws fasten in the closed position. There appears to be only 2 possible positions. Here's a picture: https://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/am_inset9.aspx

Thanks Harald! I didn't know what everyone was talking about and I am too lazy to look it up in my manual. I'll open mine and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks Harald! I didn't know what everyone was talking about and I am too lazy to look it up in my manual. I'll open mine and see if it makes a difference.
Twisty,

You don't need a winter position down 'nere in Georgia. You don't have one! ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if we are all adjusting them "out" the same amount. What is the total travel from full in to full out?
Kurt
I had an interesting experience in figuring out the answer to your question. The all-knowing sales guy showed me how you can use a coin to unlock the cowl and move it out. When he did it, it only moved out a quarter inch or so. So initially I did the same thing, thinking it was simply slotted underneath and that this was the limit of travel. Then I saw a picture of how the cowls are really supposed to be opened. Wow, you need to actually pull those screws out, move the cowl outward and then reinsert the screws into the outboard captive nut. When the cowl is opened correctly, you can see the holes where the screws fasten in the closed position. There appears to be only 2 possible positions. Here's a picture: https://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/am_inset9.aspx
Nice post. Glad I asked! I was not doing it correctly.

Kurt

28 degrees out this morning, and "IN" or "OUT" does not matter at this point. If it gets any colder I'll have to put the lining in my jacket & pants...Ride until they salt the roads.

It must be a personal thing because it was also 28 degrees this morning here and my cowls open made a HUGE difference in the warmth of my legs. Maybe the moist air here in Seattle makes a difference in perceived coldness? Those heated grips sure are nice! :yahoo:

About that Georgia weather; I used to live there and can remember a few ice storms in the winter. And I still remember that one cold week riding my bike with temps down to 17 degrees at night. Thank God for that National Cycle Plexi-fairing windshield that I put on for winter riding and the snowmobile suit. Had to alternately put my gloved hands behind the cylinder head on my 83 GS1100ESD to thaw them out while going down the road. This was north of Atlanta near Marietta (I suspect south GA doesn't get that cold).

I really am more concerned about Britney. Shouldn't we all be discussing her needs? I wonder what her thoughts might be.

I really am more concerned about Britney. Shouldn't we all be discussing her needs? I wonder what her thoughts might be.
The total sum of Britney's thought as between the parentheses

( .......UM......Drink...... )

Moving the cowl out about 1 inch keeps about one inch of air off my legs. So it's slightly warmer. What if I cut a slot in the lower cowel. Will I get out more heat on my knees and less on my feet?

Outboard directs heat at the rider.

A simple way to test this is open just one - you'll feel the difference.

And make ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the little plastic bars are in the metal spring clips - or you may be waving bye-bye to your panel -

Yup, but at 90 mph with the fairing panel firmly in place my right cowling flew off. Dealer looked at the part and one of the slightly bent clips and replaced it without a word. Yamaha asked for the part and told the dealer they would cover the cost. My cowlings stay firmly closed and in place ever since.

All you guys wondering about the cowl position just need to get a winter FJR (they made them from 2003 thru 2005) and just keep that second gen for the summer months. :lol:

And make ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the little plastic bars are in the metal spring clips - or you may be waving bye-bye to your panel -

Yup, but at 90 mph with the fairing panel firmly in place my right cowling flew off. Dealer looked at the part and one of the slightly bent clips and replaced it without a word. Yamaha asked for the part and told the dealer they would cover the cost. My cowlings stay firmly closed and in place ever since.
OK, I'll bite - after reading this never-ending thread (and contibuting to it) I decided to look into the open cowl thing. When I removed the screws (actually cam screws on mine) I thought the whole panel would come off and I would slide it outward. Nope, the bottom is hinged. I actually tried pulling it off before I realized the bottom part was not going to move. The top of the cowl just "flips" open and I reinserted the screws into the outside holes. Did not have to mess with any "plastic bars" or "metal springs". At least not that I could determine. Will be out riding tomorrow so I will not have the benefit of any feed back from you'all. At least on my AE I do not see how the thing would blow off - but ya never know. I'll report back.

QUOTE(Captain B @ Nov 3 2007, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK, I'll bite - after reading this never-ending thread (and contibuting to it) I decided to look into the open cowl thing. When I removed the screws (actually cam screws on mine) I thought the whole panel would come off and I would slide it outward. Nope, the bottom is hinged. I actually tried pulling it off before I realized the bottom part was not going to move. The top of the cowl just "flips" open and I reinserted the screws into the outside holes. Did not have to mess with any "plastic bars" or "metal springs". At least not that I could determine. Will be out riding tomorrow so I will not have the benefit of any feed back from you'all. At least on my AE I do not see how the thing would blow off - but ya never know. I'll report back.

OK, I am back to report. No parts missing. Wind chill factor between 35-45 farenheit. Yes, I can feel warm air flowing up through the open cowl if I put my hand over it, but riding - ABSOLUTELY NO HOT/WARM/TEPID ETC. blowing on my upper legs. Opening the cowls made zero difference in warming the rider in "cold" weather (no comments from the peanut gallery north of the Mason-Dixon). So I still vote for pie. So, if you want to be warmer - put the windshield up.