I'm gettin' an idea!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

What would DoG do?
Reaction score
[SIZE=18pt]5 Glaciers to See Before They're Gone[/SIZE]Full Article

By Ethan Schowalter-hay

[SIZE=12pt]Mountain and continental glaciers ebb and flow based on broad climatic cycles. In recent years, from New Zealand to Scandinavia, most have retreated at startling rates. Since 1980, for example, the world's alpine glaciers have receded by more than 36 feet. While the particular reasons for the widespread decline are not entirely clear, an increase in average global temperatures and variations in precipitation are likely causes.[/SIZE]

Columbia Glacier - Alaska

Southeastern Alaska is famous for tidewater glaciers: big ice fields spilling from mountains directly to the sea. While some continue to advance, the 2,000-square-kilometer Columbia Glacier, which sweeps from the Chugach Mountains into Prince William Sound, has been decreasing in size with great rapidity over the past several decades. After a long period of stability, it shrank from 41 miles long in 1980 to 33 in 2001. Icebergs calved from its retreating snout pose a threat to shipping.
1938Washburnneg10621600p.jpg

I'm not sayin' I can go, but if Old Michael does, I won't have to....

Last edited by a moderator:
Toecutter: We could put a 50 pound block of ice in Old Michael's bathtub and posters on the wall; and he could write about it!

You live in Cali, can't you ride to the coast and watch it float by?

p.s. This needs a smiley of some sorts, not sure what is appropriate though.

Go for it Toe. It's not that difficult of a ride to Valdez, about 3500 miles for you. A day to OR, another day to P.G., another day to Whitehorse, )or push on to Tok), then an easy day to Valdez. Do the fly tour to see the glacier, (its about 30 miles from Valdez), and ride home. Could even cut down from Watson Lake to Hyder for a diversion on the way back, or take the ferry from Vancouver Island to Prince Rupert and head up from there to Watson Lake, then NWest to Alaska.

FYI - There are closer glaciers. Banff ice fields, Bear glacier outside Hyder, Salmon glacier outside Hyder.

Go for it Toe. It's not that difficult of a ride to Valdez, about 3500 miles for you. A day to OR, another day to P.G., another day to Whitehorse, )or push on to Tok), then an easy day to Valdez. Do the fly tour to see the glacier, (its about 30 miles from Valdez), and ride home. Could even cut down from Watson Lake to Hyder for a diversion on the way back, or take the ferry from Vancouver Island to Prince Rupert and head up from there to Watson Lake, then NWest to Alaska.
FYI - There are closer glaciers. Banff ice fields, Bear glacier outside Hyder, Salmon glacier outside Hyder.
Glacier National Park in Montana is easier to get to as well, and the glaciers are supposed to be gone in less than two years. Just an option..

Latest posts