(In)Tech Day 2019

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, pencil me in for this tech day, providing my rdl seat is done by then. Production date is 3/19 and their website say 2-3 weeks for completion, don’t think that includes shipping. I recall rt 250 headed that direction is a great ride.

Looks like I'm in. Valve check (hopefully no adjustment), brake bleed. Maybe a full coolant flush as I'm doing the valves.

Almost all of the coolant gets drained in order to do a valve clearance check. Make sure you have a valve cover gasket and the O-rings for the coolant pipe.

Almost all of the coolant gets drained in order to do a valve clearance check. Make sure you have a valve cover gasket and the O-rings for the coolant pipe.
In all the valve checks we've done here we've never needed a valve cover gasket Bob. They are pretty heavy duty if you just be easy with em and keep Bill away from that part of the job.

He ham fisted his coolant pipe and had to trailer his bike home.

I was the one that had a hosed gasket. Bob, forgot about tech day so no ignition switch was ordered. I'm still thinking on coming up... I was thinking in lieu of the ignition switch, I'd like to do a fluids swap.... namely brake, clutch & forks. I specifically remember the last time that forks were done, we had put heavier oil in than previously to prevent the dive that I had been experiencing. I do not remember specifically what the oil was... but it worked pretty well... but will look into it. I ran across some fork oil not long ago & think that was leftovers from last flush. What specific fluids do I need for brake & clutch? Dot 3 syn, correct? I think that I have transmission fluid @ home for the fork flush... it is transmission fluid used for flushing, yes?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was the one that had a hosed gasket. Bob, forgot about tech day so no ignition switch was ordered. I'm still thinking on coming up... I was thinking in lieu of the ignition switch, I'd like to do a fluids swap.... namely brake, clutch & forks. I specifically remember the last time that forks were done, we had put heavier oil in than previously to prevent the dive that I had been experiencing. I do not remember specifically what the oil was... but it worked pretty well... but will look into it. I ran across some fork oil not long ago & think that was leftovers from last flush. What specific fluids do I need for brake & clutch? Dot 3 syn, correct? I think that I have transmission fluid @ home for the fork flush... it is transmission fluid used for flushing, yes?
I have plenty of transmission fluid. I can't remember what weight oil we used. Probably 5 or 7. Dot 3 or 4 brake fluid.

Not going to be there myself but to help those doing valve checks, the coolant crossover pipe O-rings are a 2-116 N70 Buna available anywhere that sells hydraulic hoses or fitting and only cost about .10 or less each. I work for a hydraulic cylinder shop and we go through them by the hundreds.

Did you do the forks, Bob? I thought that it was Jay & me when we were doing mass maintenance @ his place before he sold his house. Now, come to think of it, you could be correct.