Install Power Commander V

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kman09

Reaction score
I've installed Leo Vince Exhaust on my 09.

Need reliable shop to install and set-up Power Commander V ?

Why? You can do the install yourself in about an hour. Add another hour if you buy the autotune. I did this install at the recent Tech meet, and it was all plug & play. The actual install time went quickly; it took more time to remove and replace things (like the tank) than the actual install portion. If you can undo a bolt, you can install the PCV.

As to the setup, if you buy from Fuel moto (and they are the cheapest), they will download a map before they ship. There really is no set up. Just let them know you are running a Leo Vance pipe, and they can alter it and install for free. You can also download several maps from this forum onto the PCV, transfer is as easy as transferring a map to your Garmin.

The only reason to possibly need to use a shop is if you install the Autotune and you find that the Leo Vance pipes require a bung hole to be welded on (the Autotune includes this hole). However, I think most of the pipes are slip-ons and don't alter or remove where the stock O2 sensor plugs in.

I love the PCV. It totally eliminated any jerky throttle at low speed, and the whole engine feels so much smoother.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the PC V installs anything like the PC III, you will not need a shop. Need proof? I installed my PC III in about 45 minutes, and I've been called mechanically disinclined.

I removed my PCIII and installed the PC V with autotune in about an hour. It is very simple. If you have not had your tank up before it may take you a little longer, but it is something you can do. The software is preloaded.

I removed my PCIII and installed the PC V with autotune in about an hour. It is very simple. If you have not had your tank up before it may take you a little longer, but it is something you can do. The software is preloaded.

Have you noticed a difference in the 3 vs. 5 ?

Have you noticed a difference in the 3 vs. 5 ?

Haven't rode long enough to see what the effect of the Autotune is. It will be next year before I get a chance to see.

Why? You can do the install yourself in about an hour. Add another hour if you buy the autotune. I did this install at the recent Tech meet, and it was all plug & play. The actual install time went quickly; it took more time to remove and replace things (like the tank) than the actual install portion. If you can undo a bolt, you can install the PCV.

As to the setup, if you buy from Fuel moto (and they are the cheapest), they will download a map before they ship. There really is no set up. Just let them know you are running a Leo Vance pipe, and they can alter it and install for free. You can also download several maps from this forum onto the PCV, transfer is as easy as transferring a map to your Garmin.

The only reason to possibly need to use a shop is if you install the Autotune and you find that the Leo Vance pipes require a bung hole to be welded on (the Autotune includes this hole). However, I think most of the pipes are slip-ons and don't alter or remove where the stock O2 sensor plugs in.

I love the PCV. It totally eliminated any jerky throttle at low speed, and the whole engine feels so much smoother.

I have a 2009 and I don't like the heat down at my ankles, has anyone noticed less heat after installing a PCV, should be running richer than stock, therefore cooler?

kman09 said:

Hudson,

Received my P/C V Unit and I'm planning to install on Sat.,

One last question,do I need to do anything computer wise after install?

Or is it as easy as plug in and go?

Thanks for the support.

kman09 said:

Hudson,

You were right it took a little over and hour to install.

Bike runs great Fuel Moto did a nice job on the pre-map.

Thanks

Hudson,

You were right it took a little over and hour to install.

Bike runs great Fuel Moto did a nice job on the pre-map.

Thanks
Been following this thread, good timing. Just got my 07 and have been working on getting the snatchy throttle tamed. Very interested to hear how you like this set-up with regards to smoothness and fuel mileage. I am not looking for more power, just a better running motor and maybe better fuel mileage since in theory the air/fuel ratio is optimized. I have heard both ways, some get a loss is fuel economy and some have reported a little better.

I am not looking for more power, just a better running motor and maybe better fuel mileage since in theory the air/fuel ratio is optimized.
Don't get your hopes up for better fuel mileage. Fuel maps for the power commanders are generally tuned for smoothness/power. The lack of smoothness comes from the engine running relatively lean at part throttle (helps the bike pass emissions, improves cruising fuel mileage, etc). More fuel is necessary to get smoother throttle response, so you should expect fuel mileage to drop a bit.

Saying that "the air/fuel ratio is optimized" means nothing if you don't specify what it is optimized for. The stock FJR already has an optimized fuel map. It's just optimized to meet goals that are different than what many riders would prefer (emissions + efficiency, sacrificing smoothness).

Anyone that reports improved fuel mileage after installing a power commander is probably relying on the bike's MPG readout (which is inaccurate after installing a power commander) or something else changed (riding style, commuting patterns, seasonal changes, etc) to cause an improvement, or maybe they actually had a fuel map custom tuned for fuel mileage, in which case they definitely do not have improved throttle smoothness.

Another possibility for improved mileage after a power commander would be if you use large amounts of throttle (40%+) all the time. Fuel maps for stock bikes actually reduce fuel for high throttle positions. My guess is that Yamaha runs this area richer than necessary to be on the safe side in case you do basic air intake and exhaust mods to improve airflow (which would lean out the mixture, especially at high throttle positions). With the correct map on a power commander, tuned for your bike's setup, there would be no need for this safety net of extra fuel. But because there's no safety net, it's important to use a map tuned for a bike with the same configuration as your bike rather than just trying different maps and comparing how they "feel".

Shut the feck up Jeff!! You and your proven theory's are ruining the Mystique of this limp assed steed.

Last edited by a moderator:
You and your proven theory's are ruining the Mystique of this limp assed steed.
Isn't Mystique the name of one of your sheep? I don't see what this discussion has to do with the level of sexual satisfaction you get from your sheep.

Yea, don't burst my bubble. :rolleyes: Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is made up.
No need to let your bubble burst. If you read my last paragraph with the right mindset, you'll come to the conclusion that you just need to ride very aggressively (lots of 40%+ throttle) on curvy roads that allow you to continuously slow down then accelerate. Or continuously slow down and accelerate on the straight roads if curvy roads aren't an option for you (the extreme changes in speed will make you more visible to traffic, so it has a bonus side effect of increased safety). If you ride like that with your power commander, then you'll see improved fuel mileage compared to without a power commander under the same riding conditions.

Been following this thread, good timing. Just got my 07 and have been working on getting the snatchy throttle tamed. Very interested to hear how you like this set-up with regards to smoothness and fuel mileage. I am not looking for more power, just a better running motor and maybe better fuel mileage since in theory the air/fuel ratio is optimized. I have heard both ways, some get a loss is fuel economy and some have reported a little better.
I too was very dissapointed with the jerky throttle when I got my stock '07. In first installed a G2 Throttle Tamer, but was not that impressed. It helped you to "manage" the jerkiness a bit better, but did nothing to alleviate it. Decided to get a PC-V with the "smoothness" from FuelMotoUSA. These guys really know that Power Commanders. The smoothness map totally fixed the problem, but at the expense of 3 - 5 MPG. I consulted with them, and they recomemnded I also install the "economy" map. Since the PC-V can have two maps that are switchable on the fly, it sounded great. Well, the bike still runs far better than stock with the "economy" map, but I do switch to the "smoothness" map when I get in tight twisties. They also sell the handlebar mount switch. I don't watch my mileage that closely, but I think I'm at the about the same mileage as before the PC-V.

Another thing that really helps is to tighten up the throttle cable. Take ALL the slack out of it, and you'll also see an improvement there.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my setup now. Hope this helps.

Rick