Installed my Hexacones lastnight.... WTF NO WAY !!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wicked Webby

Right is Harder than Wrong.
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Installed my Remus Hexacones on my 07 lastnight. Install was super simple and went on very nice.

Took the baffles out right away. Sounded great and looked AWESOME!! Very satisfied with these

REMUS HEXACONES!!

Road my 07 FJR into work (30 miles) with a big grinn on my face. Sweet music to my ears and felt like a(seat of my pants) performance gain.

Got off my bike in the garage and NOTICED SOMETHING!!!!!! The front carbon fiber area of the left muffler had some large white air bubbles( I am guessing from the exhaust heat..expansion??) forming and growing...One looked like it popped!!. Has anyone had this problem with their REMUS HEXACONES? I hope not!! Must be some type of defect with this muffler's carbon fiber weave(isolated problem I hope). It now looks terrible!! I hope MAXMOTO (Knut) stands behind the product. Is it suppose to have some type of manufactors life time warranty??

Here is what I am talking about:

DSCN5609.jpg

DSCN5607.jpg

Kinda pissed!!

Email sent to MAXMOTO (Knut).

I will keep you all posted on how this gets handled.

I hope he continues his great customer service.

WW

UPDATE !! SCROLL BELOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS AND ADDITIONAL PICS!! THUMBS UP TO MAXMOTO AND REMUS!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been buying Remus products for about 10 years now. Maxmoto has always come through in every way I have asked of them.

Shouldn't be a problem.

I put mine on last night. My first ride with them on was the commute in this morning (about 26 miles). I inspected them real quick and didn't notice anything. I will inspect again after the ride home.

It looks more like a chip (??). Did you ride through any rocks that might have been thrown up? Or is your CF piece loose and it's vibrating? :unsure:

No, it's bubbling, see how there are also blisters ABOVE the spring area? Pretty hard to imagine a large volume of media getting bounced up at the right angle, including magically bouncing AROUND the spring between the upper blister and the ground, from up off the road like that.

Sounds like Remus will take care of you, if not your direct vendor. Sorry to hear, though...

You're right, I didn't see the delamination on the other side of the spring.

Dayum thats awfully fast fer them buggers ta crap out on ya. Bet they'll fix em for you though.

However........ The carbon fiber exhaust systems I've seen don't look good very long :( That stuff ain't made for taking the heat of exhaust systems and keeping up appearances :(

Gixxer down the road was ugly after a year :eek: an the R1 at work, is lookin bad after one summer.

:jester:

As much as my wallet's been screaming to be let loose and buy a set of these, I've got to admit that I'm somewhat glad I've been resisting. $900+ is a bit steep for something that, while I've no doubt sounds awesome, starts looking a bit ratty after only a few hundred miles or less (I've been reading similar complaints on other boards). That said, I'm sure it's little more than a QA issue with a vendor that will be dealt with as efficiently as only those Austrians can. :p

UPDATE FELLAS!!!

I got a call from Patrick at Maxmoto today. I got to admit I was a little concerned about if they were gonna back up the product. I wondered if they might say something like, " Well it is not unusual for carbon fiber to have some slight defects.. ect etc etc etc..."

BUT...

The only thing Patrick said was, "Where do we sent you a replacement muffler and it will be shipped out today with a return prepaid label for you to ship us back the defective one so Remus can inspect it." He was very nice, helpful, professional and all apologies. Patrick also said that Remus will back up all their products 100%!! It also sounds like some type of isolated slight defect in the carbon fiber weave. He added that they didn't expect me or anyone to just accept that it would look like that.

TWO BIG THUMBS UP TO MAXMOTO; KNUT, FRANK, PATRICK, JED AND EVERYONE ELSE INVOLVED WITH THEM. THEY PROVE TO BE TOP NOTCH!!

BY THE WAY... I LOVE THE WAY THE REMUS HEXACONES SOUND AND THE NEW THROTTLE RESPONSE IS AWESOME!!! 1ST GEAR THROTTLE WHEELIES ARE A LOT EASIER TO OBTAIN(NOT ON PURPOSE). MY 07 DOESN'T SEEM TO BE AS HERKY JERKY TWITCHY ON LOW END OF THE THROTTLE EITHER ANYMORE!!

OH YA.... ALMOST FORGOT.... THE CHICKS DIG THESE WAY SEXY COOL PIPES!!!

OUT OF FAIRNESS... HERE ARE SOME (HAPPY) PICS OF MY 07 WITH THE HEXACONES. AND YES! THEY SOUND AS GOOD AS THEY LOOK!!!

DSCN5611.jpg

DSCN5613.jpg

DSCN5615.jpg

DSCN5616.jpg

DSCN5618.jpg

THANKS AGAIN MAXMOTO !!!!!!!!!!!

WICKED WEBBY

Yeah, MN women are way too easy, I decided to move to CA last year just to find some snooty ones ;) Even a big fat guy like me can get laid every day in MN... right....

You guys are horrible...

NIce looking cone. Now do you sound like a wanna-be Harley???? vrmm vrmm vrmm :yahoo:

Just a little humor. What do they sound like? A deep hollow sound? or maybe like a deep roar?

How is the new sound received by the rider on the bike following you ?

Well,

The best way I can try to describe the sound (without baffles) is a wee bit quieter than my Akropovic system on the zx10r. It is not whiny or tingy... A throaty growly report that is louder than the stock system. I would call it a half-way point between the stock exhaust sound and a full Akropovic system, with the baffles out. Not annoying by any means and nice to be able to tone it down if you later desired(baffles back in). I think it sounds GREAT!!

WW

Check out UFO's link to his Remus Hexacone Video/sound byte :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNHCGLDbHz4

Thanks UFO

Dude!!!!!!!! Howd ya get that crazy lean angle in the second shot let alone the "rocket" shot pic goin staight up!! Screw the pipes! yer a madman :crazy:

Sorry, been a long day an four hours left till :drinks: Piss off odot. :fuck: I know yer thinkin of me whilst downin a cold un :alcoholic:

:jester:

From the looks of the photos, it appears that there were some voids in the clear-coat which protects the (carbon fiber) graphite lay-up. When the voids heat up, they expand and burst, as you can see. Likely air and/or moisture trapped during clear-coating due to some sort of contamination. No structural issue for the graphite. Cosmetic in nature, but still due for replacement since it's new.

Good on Maxmoto for standing behind their product!

You will likely have to keep an eye on the clear-coated surfaces to ensure the graphite remains protected. Suggest keeping a good coat of wax on the clear-coat. Once the graphite becomes exposed, it will wear and fray and start to look really crappy.

Looks nice! Now you got me thinking 'farkle'.

PS - Just checked out the pricing of said farkles. No wonder they stand behind their product. They better for that kind of money!

I think it sounds GREAT!!
Me too (heard 'em at WFO), but I just can't justify spending money on sound and looks. Not enough function for my tightness. Saving for suspension upgrade.
Hey Toecutter,

Yep, I hear you on deciding where to spend the $. Luckily for me, I have more $ than time these days. So I want to make the most of my time on my FJR. I have my suspension set pretty tight and run 39/42 for pressures and I have found my 07 to handle pretty darn well, in fact.. really well. Yes, I scrape the hell out of the pegs left/right during high speed adventures and push the skins hard, BUT I don't honestly know if I would want to push her harder than I already do(or need to). That being said...How cool is that having some go fast rear race shock on the FJR!! WAY KOOL!!

WW