intro to crash club

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2wheelingdawg

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend
Reaction score
Am i part of the club now? I didn't crash luckily, but my bike was run over in the parking lot. It had been sitting in the same spot for 5 days in a row, and some jackass :asshat: backed into it, knocking it off the center stand. Looks like pretty much every piece of plastic is going to have to be replaced, plus the left exhaust. How in the Fook did he catch both side bags? I still can't figure that one out. At least the guy owned up to it and reported it so they could find out whose bike it was. I got a police report, and his insurance called me yesterday afternoon with a claim number and said they were assigning an adjuster. I dropped the bike off at the Yam dealer up from the house. Any ideas to how long the repairs are going to take? If it is just the plastic, it should only be a matter of unscrewing the old and screwing on the new right? It seemed to ride fine in the parking lot at low speed, but i brought it home on the trailer. I was scared maybe there was front end damage and didn't want to take a chance of a high speed ejection. Looks like i am cage bound for a few weeks at least :grrr: :fuk: :angry03:

Last edited by a moderator:
dude

Please trust me when I tell you to get the quote and fix it your self! any idiot and a six pack can do this and you will pocket the cash from the cost of the work. I mean how hard is it to replace a bag? the cowling isnt much harder a job!

I am a complete mechanical nimrod and I can swap out all ofthe plastic problem in about an hour and a half the tail pipes are justa couple more nuts and bolts.

Am i part of the club now? I didn't crash luckily, but my bike was run over in the parking lot. It had been sitting in the same spot for 5 days in a row, and some jackass :asshat: backed into it, knocking it off the center stand. Looks like pretty much every piece of plastic is going to have to be replaced, plus the left exhaust. How in the Fook did he catch both side bags? I still can't figure that one out. At least the guy owned up to it and reported it so they could find out whose bike it was. I got a police report, and his insurance called me yesterday afternoon with a claim number and said they were assigning an adjuster. I dropped the bike off at the Yam dealer up from the house. Any ideas to how long the repairs are going to take? If it is just the plastic, it should only be a matter of unscrewing the old and screwing on the new right? It seemed to ride fine in the parking lot at low speed, but i brought it home on the trailer. I was scared maybe there was front end damage and didn't want to take a chance of a high speed ejection. Looks like i am cage bound for a few weeks at least :grrr: :fuk: :angry03:

I'm sure whoever hit your bike backed into one side bag, and it fell and killed the other. Parts are your waiting problem, and YES, FIX IT YOURSELF!!

The wait is generally for the parts.

Parts of the type you're trying to get are often significantly discounted, and relatively quickly acquired, from https://www.mrcycles.com.

If it was taking 6 months to get stuff, I'd be inclined to think that the dealer had not ordered things he'd said he ordered.

With most insurance, they will pay for a rental vehicle during your repair, so you might want to ask about this. If the insurance company is paying for a rental vehicle, it will provide an incentive to them to help get your dealer to finish the job up quickly. Loss of the vehicle due to the accident is a legitimate liability issue for the responsible party.

One thing about fixing it yourself, once the plastic is off and you find bent support brackets and the front subfame bent you will have to deal with their adjuster. The dealer is aware of the program and the complexities and should they find "extras" that are damaged they already have a working relationship with the insurance companies and adjusters.

You might see if you can get the old take-off parts returned to you, like the sidecases, etc.

the clown actually backed into the front nose of the bike head on, with his rear bumper. He knocked if of the center stand, bent the center stand, and i think pushed the bike into the curb, which i believe is what killed my left pipe. With the front end taking what i believe to be a fairly hard shot, shouldn't i let somebody who knows what they are doing check the bike over? I am a fairly decent wrench turner, but this is more than just a crunched side case. Yamaha parts warehouse is up the road about an hour in Kennesaw, hopefully they are in stock there and not Cali or Japan. I would hope being that close to the warehouse would cut down on order and delivery time.

I asked the claims rep for Geico (his insurance) over the phone about a rental, she told me that was included, but i didn't get the details as i was driving at the time. The service rep at the shop also said they dealt with Geico regularly and there has never been a problem.

Isn't there something called diminished value that the insurance has to pay for since it is considered wrecked now, plus being without the bike for probably 1-2 months?

the clown actually backed into the front nose of the bike head on, with his rear bumper. He knocked if of the center stand, bent the center stand, and i think pushed the bike into the curb, which i believe is what killed my left pipe. With the front end taking what i believe to be a fairly hard shot, shouldn't i let somebody who knows what they are doing check the bike over? I am a fairly decent wrench turner, but this is more than just a crunched side case. Yamaha parts warehouse is up the road about an hour in Kennesaw, hopefully they are in stock there and not Cali or Japan. I would hope being that close to the warehouse would cut down on order and delivery time.
I asked the claims rep for Geico (his insurance) over the phone about a rental, she told me that was included, but i didn't get the details as i was driving at the time. The service rep at the shop also said they dealt with Geico regularly and there has never been a problem.

Isn't there something called diminished value that the insurance has to pay for since it is considered wrecked now, plus being without the bike for probably 1-2 months?
You can have a shop do an I&R crash report. They should find any "structural" damage. They'll send an estimate to the insurance co. If they agree, that's what they'll pay. If there is no major damage see if you can get the check yourself, order the parts at www.cheapcycleparts.com (best prices I found) and you stand to make some cash on the deal!

Good luck.

4 months and counting,

No frame damage, just plastic, mirrors, 1 bag, stator cover, and a few other odds and ends.

Crashed bikes are the lowest priority at dealers during the middle of the riding season.

Sorry to hear about the damage to your bike but the good thing is your were not on it at the time, Im guessing you took it to Outdoor Power Sports to get it fixed? If so the owner (Randy) is a great guy and they have one of the best mech. in the southeast if you decide to have them repair it, His name is Mark and i would ask if he could do the work. He has worked on most of my bikes in the past and i never had a problem!!

cool, thanks, i took it to Outdoor Power Sports, good to hear some positive remarks on them. I don't know anybody that has used them for anything. I go there to buy my oil and stuff, but never left the bike before.