Is importing FJR from Canada worth the hassle?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrWing

Reaction score
After several phone calls and e-mails to corporate headquarters with very little to show, I've decided to turn to the real experts. You guys.

Looking to bring in a 2016 or 2017 FJR-ES from Canada in order to get the color I want. Will the Canadian version meet the USA 49 state EPA standards and are the import taxes(I'm told 2.4%) worth the mountain of paper work involved? Any other advise you can offer, other than a paint job, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

H.

Presumable warranty issues (including unavailability of extended YES warranty), service questions (have you confirmed U.S. dealers would work on the bike as the VIN won't be from their market), metric questions, immobilizer vs. none factor, etc. makes me wonder if color is remotely that important...or that swapping panels (that's not painting) wouldn't be a better way to go.

I spoke with two dealers and they said they would honor the warranty as well as any recalls from corporate and the Canadian dealer didn't have any problems since I was only 26 miles across the straits if need be.

Of course saying it's not a problem and them actually coming thru is realistically up in the air. Hadn't thought of switching out the panels, thanks for that.

I told by US Customs and the Canadian dealer that importing is common and shouldn't be any big problem. Yamaha USA and Yamaha Canada were no help without a vin#. Protecting their turf I suspect. Will do the math and consider all of the above.

Thanks Igy

Its $37 bucks on the MV Coho ferry to Victoria from Port Angeles for motorcycles/riders. Victoria has two Yamaha dealers. So you can use them for warranty work. Now just to get it in here. So here is the paperwork: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/297/~/permanently-importing-a-motorcycle Its not impossible but the dealer should be able to work with the factory to get the paperwork you need. If they have done this before then they'll know what to do. I hope you are getting a good discount! Used to be that Canadians bought US FJRs into Canada because of the high exchange rate for Canadian dollars.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will throw my .02 in the pot!
U.S. Dealerships do not have a say, when it comes to manufacture warranty.

All bikes when they come into a dealership have the VIN run through the US Yamaha portal. A Canadian VIN will not even show up at all. When the dealership Service Advisor calls Yamaha with the VIN, the response will be that it is not a US valid VIN and as such is not eligible for warranty coverage in the States. No exceptions. Canadian VIN numbers fall under the European Yamaha portal.

I have seen Canadian registered BRP Can-Am Spiders here in So Florida come in for warranty and there is hoops that be jumped through to get warranty work done but proof of registration/ownership etc has to be sent to BRP in Canada proving that the bike is just here on vacation when it broke under warranty. Major hassle.

If you live on the border you could possibly take it into Canada for any warranty issues but there still might be a problem since it is registered in the States.

As said, you are probably better off buying plastics in the color you like or having it sprayed with the Canadian pink pokka dots
tonguesmiley.gif

The exchange rate presently is $127 Can = $100 US; which is fairly good for an American buying in Canada.

The exchange rate presently is $127 Can = $100 US; which is fairly good for an American buying in Canada.
Great point except ....Canadian pricing takes that difference into account in their retail pricing

When I bought my '07 new in '08, the list on it was something like $19,800 when the same US bike was listed at $13,400

YRMV

Down in Bremerton, Brothers has a 2012 with only 2500 miles on it for $9,000. Its blue. Is that the color you want? Maybe the newer Gen IIIs are better.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the current exchange rate and prices I've seen advertised from BC dealers, it sure would be tempting.

FJRs are pretty damned reliable too so the odds of a problem serious enough to require a dealer visit is low.

Roll the dice and get the color you want!

--G

I knew you guys would think of everything. Forgot about the Pokka dot bit. Riding blue for over ten years now, thought it might be time for a change.

Thanks again for the input.

H
punk.gif

I bought a lightly-used US 06 FJR in New Yawk City in 08 (after Bambi took out my 04 - and vice versa) and imported it into Canada. A little bit convoluted but as long as you follow their steps pretty straight forward. Never had a warranty claim in 150K+ miles on 2 FJR's. Yamaha US sends me the recall notices and I have Desert Valley Powersports look after them. Good excuse for another ride in the Palouse!

If the deal is right, I would go for it and don't worry. Just my $.02

Yamaha Canada recently announced that they would be rolled into Yamaha USA, instead of being a separate company. Sucks for the people losing their jobs, but good for getting Canadian bikes serviced in the USA (and vice versa) and we'll all get the same models.

When I was considering buying and bringing a Gen III bike down from Canada, I was told the Canadian bikes were not equipped to switch the dash from Metric to English (KM's to miles). The US bikes are able to switch. I have not confirmed this but something to consider if true. I was after the Raven Black at the time and the 2017 has solved that problem. Too bad there is no more "A" model though.

When I was shopping last year I ran the numbers. I got a better price buying my bike from D&H in Alabama and paid to have it shipped to Seattle. The dealer in BC wanted Canadian list and even with the exchange rate, (which was better than it is now), I would have cost me a bit more. Plus there's the paperwork. Some dealers will not honor a Canadian warranty and I didn't want to get stuck on the road somewhere without warranty service. I don't think there was a way to ship it across the border. I'd have to ride it to the border and jump through more hoops then ride it home. It was easier to get it from D&H and I got one of the first 2016 models delivered. Maybe even the 1st?? It was VIN number 0000039.