Is this a bad idea? Draining final drive cold?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CopB8

Reaction score
I want to change the final drive gear oil on my bike but it's wet and cruddy outside so I can't (don't want to) take it for a pre-draining spin. I know you're supposed to get some heat in the gear oil before you drain it so I was wondering if there's any reason I shouldn't put the bike up on the center stand, open the garage door, and let the bike run in gear for 5 or 10 minutes? Will that even be enough to get the oil to drain well.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
There could be an argument for getting it warmed up, some may say just to drain it. I'll bet we would be just as divided on this subject as any other "oil" or "tire" thread.

I always think, "It was hot when I stopped it and any suspended contaminants went to the bottom anyway. How much viscosity change do you get with hypoid gear oil from hot to cold anyway?"

Curiously, these final drives seem to last forever regardless of which extreme one believes. As long as the oil actually gets changed.

I say do whatever you feel most comfortable with. You'll be right either way.

+1. You'll never drain all the Gear oil anyway even if it is hot. Some small amount will be left behind. So you could always just let it drain longer and it would probably be a wash.

There is also an argument for letting the gear oil set overnight and draining so any particulates will settle to the bottom and be drained out vs still being in suspension in the gear oil you tried to warm up.

One of those things not worth worrying about I guess.

FWIW

When I am changing oils, I drain them and (After sitting time) I pour a small amount of fresh oil through to hopefully carry out some of the residue left behind.

It may help - don't know, just a routine I have stuck with.

One of the things you should never do is turn the wheel while adding oil because so much oil will stick to the gears that you will overfill. One of my owner/service manuals states that if you do turn the wheel, you should wait at least 30 minutes to let the oil settle to the bottom to verify the oil level. I think the same rationale would apply if you attempt to warm the oil up before draining, let it drain for at least 30 minutes before refilling.

Hot or cold doesn't matter. Oil just fows out better if its warm. Give it an extra 5 minutes to drain if you're worried about it. Donno what the thing about turning the wheel, sticking oil and overfilling has to do with it, but whatever...

Hot or cold doesn't matter. Oil just fows out better if its warm. Give it an extra 5 minutes to drain if you're worried about it. Donno what the thing about turning the wheel, sticking oil and overfilling has to do with it, but whatever...
If you turn the rear wheel with the engine to warm up the oil, it is going to be stuck to the gears instead of sitting in the bottom of the case next to the drain plug. Warm oil will flow better than cold oil but it will have further to flow and will take more time since it will be trying to stick to the gears.

If you turn the rear wheel with the engine to warm up the oil, it is going to be stuck to the gears instead of sitting in the bottom of the case next to the drain plug. Warm oil will flow better than cold oil but it will have further to flow and will take more time since it will be trying to stick to the gears.
So how does that cause the case to be overfilled? Its not magic. Even if oil is stuck to the gears, when the oil gets to the top, it's full. If someone simply puts in a premeasured amount, maybe, but the amount of oil stuck to the gears is minimal...Hot or cold. Sounds like old wives tale baloney to me.

So how does that cause the case to be overfilled? Its not magic. Even if oil is stuck to the gears, when the oil gets to the top, it's full. If someone simply puts in a premeasured amount, maybe, but the amount of oil stuck to the gears is minimal...Hot or cold. Sounds like old wives tale baloney to me.
Do you change your own gear oil? The next time you are putting oil in and can see the oil level, try turning the wheel and watch the oil level drop. Add some more oil, turn the wheel, and watch the oil level drop again. Then guess at how much oil is required to fill to the correct level.

Measure final drive oil? How? I put in the amount specified by the Service Manual. Does not matter if the gears are spinning or not. 0.2 liters is 200MLs no matter what.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Pterodactyl" data-cid="1125042" data-time="1391987919"><p>

Measure final drive oil? How? I put in the amount specified by the Service Manual. Does not matter if the gears are spinning or not. 0.2 liters is 200MLs no matter what.</p></blockquote>

If one puts in a measured amount it makes no difference BUT if you spin the wheel and add oil until it appears to be full then you will overfill because of the oil clinging to the gears. I overfilled mine once doing it that way.

Someone please explain how a case full of oil doesn't have oil clinging to the gears. MAYBE spinning the rear wheel removes air bubbles which are accounted for in a full case, but "oil clinging to the gears" is bullshit in a basket!

No, I've done it. It's not that big of a deal. The oil level drops after you spin it because some does cling to the ring gear. Within a few minutes the level recovers as the lube drips off again. I guess if I went out and tried to change that lube right now (at 20F) it might take a really long time to recover