It's Been A While

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good on you. If you can't dazzle them with brilliance then baffle them with BS. Either way it's a paycheck. Congrats.

I remember the last time I saw and spoke to my maternal grandfather. It was mid April 1987, I just returned from my honeymoon and was set to graduate from college in less than 1 month. On the way home, we stopped to say hello at Grandpa's. The real world was falling down on me and I was scared shitless to say the least. A man of few words, Grandpa graduated with honors from the University of Hard Knocks with a degree in Work Your Ass Off. He worked 50 years for only 1 company his whole life, started out sweeping floors and cleaning toilets, and on the day they gave him the gold watch, he was relieved as 2nd in command (large company) to enjoy his retirement.

I asked for vocational advice and have never forgotten his words.

"Boy, listen to me. There are only 3 things you need to know:

1. Show up early.

2. Stay Late

3. Ask Questions

That's it. The rest will take care of itself."

He died a few days before my graduation.

Andy - I wish you the best of luck and offer congratulations on your new employment.

Sometimes in life you just have to take chances. Hope all works out well for ya!

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats. Would love to join you as I'm closing in on the 1-year anniversary.

Now get off the internet and get to work! (I did notice you're not replying during work hours) Well done!

15 months ago I was just almost nothing but now I am something (meaning bought a new bike so could go on a adventure)

Andy... Congratulations on a new chapter of your life....As for being terrified, just remember Beemerdon was a welder at Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant. Containment # 2 was built backwards and he still got paid.

My advice is simple... Be honest...Put in more time than asked... Be early... Ask questions and seek out opportunities for more training or education.

Good Luck

From the title of this thread, I thought Andy was going to do a confession regarding his sex life...

...as there's been too much of that lately.

Yep, it's been a while.
15 months.

I am excited as hell and just as terrified. This is a type of work I've never done and the subject matter is something I know squat aboot. It's all good, though.

'Cause it's been a while.
Well congratulations! Going by the above quote is it safe to assume this job is NOT something in the Adult Film industry?
smile.png

Best of luck whatever you are doing, I hope you make enough money to support LOTS of Geek Ride Reports this upcoming year.

Another Contrats Andy. Sometimes the only thing more stressful than not working is working ;)

...Beemerdon was a welder at Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant. Containment # 2 was built backwards...
And has been converting electricity into uranium ever since. In the end it may not matter because they also inadvertently built the plant on the Hosgri Thrust Fault that they didn't know was there.

Andy... Congratulations on a new chapter of your life....As for being terrified, just remember Beemerdon was a welder at Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant. Containment # 2 was built backwards and he still got paid.
My advice is simple... Be honest...Put in more time than asked... Be early... Ask questions and seek out opportunities for more training or education.

Good Luck
And if you should unfortunately fail at your new endeavor Andy don't worry about it, You can always join up with the Losers in the Coast Guard like Dr. Rich did!

CONGRATULATIONS, bikergeek!

No advice from me, only the simpatico BTDT and it sucked more than a brand new vacuum cleaner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations Andy! I did notice that the current employment rate had gone up by .0000000000000000001% and was wondering if it was someone that I knew. Good luck in the new endeavor and make sure you contact me if you find yourself in my neck of the woods.