It's Been Awhile

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin_Ireland

Reaction score
It's been awhile since I've been on. I'm over here in Afghanistan but in a week I'll be heading home for vacation. The wife and I have a short 3 day trip planned during the 12 days I'll be home. We are going to be riding down to TN and thru the mountains to see the color of the leaves. According to Accuweather they are suppose to change earlier there because of the elevation.

Kevin

FWIW, your service for this country is appreciated. It's a great sacrifice, not only for you, but for your family, that you have chosen -- volunteered to serve your country and put the rest of your life on hold for all these years. When I was young I didn't think the way I do now and now I can only wish that I'd made the decision you did. It is a great honor to serve your nation by wearing that uniform, an honor I'm too old to seek any more. If I could go back and change a few things, that would be one of them.

Enjoy your vacation and thanks for touching bases with your other "family" (dat-be-us) before heading home.

Have you been keeping up with the forum at all while deployed?

Gary

darksider #44

Thank you everyone. I need to update my picture. I retired, again, last year after I came home from Iraq. I'm over here in Afghanistan as a military contractor. I'm doing the same job over here that I did while wearing the uniform. We have two friends (husband/wife) who are going to ride up from Atlanta then go on the trip with us.

Unfortunately, not yet. I had to fly back to the States last March to get my front teeth fixed. I chipped them after getting blown up by a recoiless rifle round. When I come back this time I'm going to be reassigned and don't know where I'll be going. I'm looking for a job stateside but all I'm getting offered are more jobs over here or Africa/North Africa.

?.. get my front teeth fixed. I chipped them after getting blown up by a recoiless rifle round...
Ok, I'm ignorant. The last time I fired a rifle was about 53 years ago, a WWII bolt action Enfield 303 (IIRC).

So, how come a "recoiless" gun can hit you in the teeth? (Ouch.)

?.. get my front teeth fixed. I chipped them after getting blown up by a recoiless rifle round...
Ok, I'm ignorant. The last time I fired a rifle was about 53 years ago, a WWII bolt action Enfield 303 (IIRC).

So, how come a "recoiless" gun can hit you in the teeth? (Ouch.)
LOL Well, I wasn't firing the recoiless rifle. The U.S. hasn't had it in their inventory since Vietnam. The Taliban use a Russian made 82mm one. Now for how I chipped my teeth, that is a funny story. We had just came back from a Afghan National Police compound where we were interrogating a prisoner and I had to really use the bathroom bad. I was walking towards a Port-a-potty when the round from the Recoiless rifle hit it. The door flew off and hit me in the head which is how I chipped my teeth.

It was a good thing that I had to get a SPOT report out first or I would of been in the Port-a-potty when it was blown up. That would of been a real shitty way to go.

Ok, I'm ignorant. The last time I fired a rifle was about 53 years ago, a WWII bolt action Enfield 303 (IIRC).So, how come a "recoiless" gun can hit you in the teeth? (Ouch.)
LOL Well, I wasn't firing the recoiless rifle. The U.S. hasn't had it in their inventory since Vietnam. The Taliban use a Russian made 82mm one. Now for how I chipped my teeth, that is a funny story. We had just came back from a Afghan National Police compound where we were interrogating a prisoner and I had to really use the bathroom bad. I was walking towards a Port-a-potty when the round from the Recoiless rifle hit it. The door flew off and hit me in the head which is how I chipped my teeth.

It was a good thing that I had to get a SPOT report out first or I would of been in the Port-a-potty when it was blown up. That would of been a real shitty way to go.
Well, sort of funny.
I have a sneaking suspicion, given the circumstances, you found it so funny at the time that you wet your pants ...