It's Like Butta!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocket

Doctor Throckenstein !!!
Reaction score
I luv you guys! I read all your problems and get all this tech input, and it's great! What an inspiration and great resource you all are! Thank you for posting and helping to make my life better.

Little did I know that my bike was under the weather, or perhaps it was just getting tired of the meager amount of attention I was paying to it. Those oil/filter changes just aren't enough for it. No.

Evidently, it did not like my Audiovox cruise control, either. So my FJR spit off two nuts that were holding the throttle cable tube in place. No wonder my cc was acting up. How did I figure this out? Well, I got lucky.

Someone was having a bad vibration (I think it was Danica) and it was suggested that she get her bearings straight, or get a TB test or something to that effect. And I thought to myself, hmmmm, maybe I'd better pay attention.

Those new tires helped cut down my vibration some (especially after replacing the defective tire), but the Top Gun bar ends didn't seem to make a damn bit of difference. I knew I wanted to do some distance riding and be as comfortable as possible, and therefore I'm in this "smoothness" mode. Trying to get a buzz OFF.

So I took my FJR to the clinic and gave it a TB test. Sure enough, that poor sick bastard was not sync'd. Lo and behold, a few twists of the air screws, and we're all happy again.

The #3 screw is bottomed out. I brought all four VERY close in line based on the max I could get out of #3, which was between 26 and 28 on my cheapo Motion Pro.

The test ride was impressive. WOW! What a difference. Like a new bike again. I really had no idea that the engine had ebbed away that much, and how little "off" the TB's could be and make a BIG difference on how smooth the bike runs.

Ok, I won't go 8K miles before synching again. After all, it only took 15 minutes to to the TB synch. And OH what a difference! (and I found the CC nuts loose, too, thank goodness! They be thread loc'd now, baby!)

Now, the bike runs like BUTTA.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI I don't think the econ MP lines accurately indicate the vacuum level. I measure 25 cmHg to be just above the 22 cm line.

-BD

I wouldn't worry about it now, but if #3 is bottomed, next time I'd back it out a 1/2 turn or so and then adjust the rest to that. And not worry too much about the absolute reading.

- Mark

I wouldn't worry about it now, but if #3 is bottomed, next time I'd back it out a 1/2 turn or so and then adjust the rest to that. And not worry too much about the absolute reading.
- Mark
That's what I did the first time. We'll see how it goes this time with them all set up to match the max'd #3. It's so easy to re-do it, I can easily go change it again.

What are the implications of having it set up over the 26 mark, when it should be set properly down at the 22 mark? Does that change how lean the engine runs?

Just nice to have some of the buzz out.

I've added the TB sync to the every 4k service list along with the oil, filter etc.

Hard to believe how a few minutes and a simple procedure can make such a big difference.

Ok, it feels like I am being kicked in the head everytime I hear one of these stories. I keep meaning to do mine and it is like my wife has been saying lately "The road to hell is paved with good intentions".

I am gonna do it, I am gonna do it, I am gonna do it :D

Ok, it feels like I am being kicked in the head everytime I hear one of these stories. I keep meaning to do mine and it is like my wife has been saying lately "The road to hell is paved with good intentions".I am gonna do it, I am gonna do it, I am gonna do it :D
Actually it was YOUR story that got ME going! Thanks.

ohhhh, it's soOooOooo smooooothe.