It's mine! All mine! Just bought a 2014 FJR1300ES. I LOVE IT!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madmatt2525

Reaction score
Wow!

What can I say that you guys don't already know? I am in awe of this bike.

I have been a cruiser guy for a while now and very active on a lot of forums catering to the Yamaha Road and Stratoliner bikes and after hearing someone talk about how nice a FJR was, i had to see for myself.

Took a test ride about a month or two ago on a demo unit 2014 A model and while it was thrilling, i just didn't think it was my type of ride...

Turned out I was wrong! Even though I wasn't won over at first, the seed was planted and I knew it was just a matter of time when I started checking the FJR forums every day, started thinking about mods I could add (sorry, I will never use the work "farkle!") and then it was all over when for the past few weeks I began dreaming about it.

I can bargain and deal with the best of them and found the best deals in the nation at Don and Roys in Wisconsin and Cold Springs Motorsports in Nashville. I even create a spreadsheet so I could track out the door price, tax, fees, costs to pick up bike, costs to ship it etc.. It's funny but I did all of this homework over the course of a few weeks and it never occurred to me then to try and see if one of my local dealers would wheel and deal. turns out they would and while they can't touch the deal Don and Roy's has (and no other dealer in the United States can!), they came dang close with one of the last ES's within 400 miles of Cincinnati and I was able to get them to sweeten the deal with a 4 year YES warranty hundreds off list price and lots of other little perks including a semi-decent trade in value for my old Honda Rebel. Factor in the money I saved not having to drive or fly out and the difference was not worth NOT buying it local.

So, took a long lunch, drove the rebel (on the highway no less) to the dealer and about 90 minutes later I was zipping back to work on the back of the most amazing feat of engineering mastery I have ever had between my legs!

I love EVERYTHING about it. I did already order the taller OEM touring shield because at 6-1, I have a very long torso and at the heighest setting the wind in my face is pretty severe. A full face or modular helmet would help too.

Next mods will be some sort of RAM mount for GPS, and probably get the highway pegs. I don't mind the heigth of the existing pegs but I have thought about lowering them. I also don't mind the stock middle location of the bars either, but I will probably set them to the rearmost position.

Seat is okay for now, but i have a long history of being pretty picky about where I place my bum so a custom is probably forthcoming.

What else? Oh yeah, for safety sake I may get some sliders or canyon cages. Who knows!?! Its a brand new bike to enjoy and the sky is the limit!

I will always love my extremely customized Roadliner "Big Red", but now she has a hot new neighbor in the garage!

Madmatt

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Madmatt!! We have two of those beauties in our garage. We traded up from 2005s. You may look into Techmounts vs Ram. They're more sleek in my opinion. Go with a modular (I have a Shoei) cuz I were glasses and it's easier to get on and off. A lot of fun miles ahead for you. Check out the EOM scheduled for Sept., you'll meet a lot of other happy FJR Owners there.

Motorcycle life, as you know it, will be forever changed...congratulations!

Wow!

What can I say that you guys don't already know? I am in awe of this bike.

I have been a cruiser guy for a while now and very active on a lot of forums catering to the Yamaha Road and Stratoliner bikes and after hearing someone talk about how nice a FJR was, i had to see for myself.

Took a test ride about a month or two ago on a demo unit 2014 A model and while it was thrilling, i just didn't think it was my type of ride...

Turned out I was wrong! Even though I wasn't won over at first, the seed was planted and I knew it was just a matter of time when I started checking the FJR forums every day, started thinking about mods I could add (sorry, I will never use the work "farkle!") and then it was all over when for the past few weeks I began dreaming about it.

I can bargain and deal with the best of them and found the best deals in the nation at Don and Roys in Wisconsin and Cold Springs Motorsports in Nashville. I even create a spreadsheet so I could track out the door price, tax, fees, costs to pick up bike, costs to ship it etc.. It's funny but I did all of this homework over the course of a few weeks and it never occurred to me then to try and see if one of my local dealers would wheel and deal. turns out they would and while they can't touch the deal Don and Roy's has (and no other dealer in the United States can!), they came dang close with one of the last ES's within 400 miles of Cincinnati and I was able to get them to sweeten the deal with a 4 year YES warranty hundreds off list price and lots of other little perks including a semi-decent trade in value for my old Honda Rebel. Factor in the money I saved not having to drive or fly out and the difference was not worth NOT buying it local.

So, took a long lunch, drove the rebel (on the highway no less) to the dealer and about 90 minutes later I was zipping back to work on the back of the most amazing feat of engineering mastery I have ever had between my legs!

I love EVERYTHING about it. I did already order the taller OEM touring shield because at 6-1, I have a very long torso and at the heighest setting the wind in my face is pretty severe. A full face or modular helmet would help too.

Next mods will be some sort of RAM mount for GPS, and probably get the highway pegs. I don't mind the heigth of the existing pegs but I have thought about lowering them. I also don't mind the stock middle location of the bars either, but I will probably set them to the rearmost position.

Seat is okay for now, but i have a long history of being pretty picky about where I place my bum so a custom is probably forthcoming.

What else? Oh yeah, for safety sake I may get some sliders or canyon cages. Who knows!?! Its a brand new bike to enjoy and the sky is the limit!

I will always love my extremely customized Roadliner "Big Red", but now she has a hot new neighbor in the garage!

Madmatt
You have been assimilated; resistance is futile.

I came from a cruiser as my "before" bike. The modifications for the FJR are more functional. "Farkles" is fine for BMW, but when I add Clearwater LED lights, Rambone GPS mount, or a custom saddle, or upgraded suspension, they are just accessories.
coolsmiley02.gif

Did I mention, resistance is futile? Pretty soon you won't look anything like a Pirate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got my 2014 FJR 1300 ES here in Indy a few weeks ago and feel the same way. Amazing bike, so much better than my cruiser.

As for GPS, I went with the Techmount stem mount in conjunction with the Ram Mount Cradle Adaptor and Ram Mount Cradle for my Garmin. Easy to install and has worked great so far. Love the position on the stem, just below the line of site on the dash.