I've got a dent in one header pipe

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, how would one go about removing the dent?
Well in this case, I would try to force a large ball brg (that readily rolls through an intact pipe) through the dinged one while heating it up with a torch. So, now you may ask, how do you push it around the bend? A couple of ways come to mind. First, you could stuff a few smaller pebbles behind the BB and push them with a dowel and hammer. Several short pieces of smaller diameter pipe instead of the stones would probably work OK too. You only have to push the BB past the dent and it should then roll out the other end. ;)
Still not so easy, as the other end is the catalytic converter, and getting access to insert a ball bearing and the rest of this means fully removing the headers...fairings, radiator, mufflers. :dribble: It's a lot of work for something that probably isn't hurting anything.

So, how would one go about removing the dent?
Well in this case, I would try to force a large ball brg (that readily rolls through an intact pipe) through the dinged one while heating it up with a torch. So, now you may ask, how do you push it around the bend? A couple of ways come to mind. First, you could stuff a few smaller pebbles behind the BB and push them with a dowel and hammer. Several short pieces of smaller diameter pipe instead of the stones would probably work OK too. You only have to push the BB past the dent and it should then roll out the other end. ;)
Still not so easy, as the other end is the catalytic converter, and getting access to insert a ball bearing and the rest of this means fully removing the headers...fairings, radiator, mufflers. :dribble: It's a lot of work for something that probably isn't hurting anything.
I agree! :)

Any good with a welder ? You could tack weld a small bit of steel rod to the centre of the dent so you could then use a slide hammer to gently pull the dent back out. Once done remove the bit of tack welded steel and grind smooth again.

I got a similar dent riding slowly (3 MPH) over a high speed bump in a parking lot intended to keep people from cutting through. I was only loaded with me. None of the store owners would offer to do anything. I have ridden it as such for 3 years with no affect.

Any good with a welder ? You could tack weld a small bit of steel rod to the centre of the dent so you could then use a slide hammer to gently pull the dent back out. Once done remove the bit of tack welded steel and grind smooth again.
Truly the finest answer to the original question.

Fudge, Ed China would be proud!!

Don't do that anymore!
+1 It ain't a KTM.
Airboss...he says it ain't a KTM.

Tell that to that dood (cough/Duane/cough) at EOM last year...

photo.jpg
SHhhh! I was there...that never really happened :lol:

Thanks a lot, you guys. You reminded me that I have a couple of dents in my pipes. Now I'm going to worry a lot before I forget again...WBill

the #1 cylinder after the lastest curb moto was twice as closed off as it shows there

but in hindset, I would have replaced the header while the pipe mounts were being fixed in the first place

ebay used but perfect Gen I ('03) replacement header was $130 to replace it

also shown are the broken pipe mounts from the first "experience"

4995313965_cccd87b4be.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mholiver/sets/72157623710720129/