Jordan's Bridge Plaque

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAxeman

Reaction score
As many of you know, my son Jordan was killed in Iraq in April of 2008 while defending his post from a vehicle borne IED. Shortly after that, New York State honored him by renaming the bridge crossing over our bay "The LCpl Jordan Haerter Veterans' Memorial Bridge". On Friday we installed a couple of bronze plaques that outline the incident which led to his death. The plaques were cast by the same foundry that cast the Iwo Jima monument. The pictures don't really do it justice....The photographic collage that was rendered in brass is unbelievably well done. I took 3 of the pictures myself. I took the bridge picture in the background on Memorial Day of 2008 so the flag is at half mast. The picture of him with the USMC sweatshirt on was taken at Camp Lejeune the last time I ever saw him. Jordan took the one all the way on the right himself 3 days before he was killed as he was driving his hummer through Ramadi. Anyway, here are a couple of photos.

Haerter-1.jpg

Haerter-2.jpg

049.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0115.jpg

As many of you know, my son Jordan was killed in Iraq in April of 2008 while defending his post from a vehicle borne IED. Shortly after that, New York State honored him by renaming the bridge crossing over our bay "The LCpl Jordan Haerter Veterans' Memorial Bridge".
Wow, I need to make a road trip.......

Axe - what a wonderful tribute to a young man who gave the ultimate gift for freedom.

Damn, tears again.

Thanks for posting, and like an earlier poster said, 'I need to make a road trip'.

That's some surreal stuff, Chriss.

And thanks for sending me those pics - I sent 'em off to my dad. I'm sure he'll pass them on.

For those of you saying you've got to make a road trip - do it. Sag Harbor is a very pretty area, and Chriss is a wonderful host and tour guide.

Whatever happened to the Jordan emoticon, anyway...

Please do make a road trip if you can. Be aware from points north and west the road trip also includes three very nice ferry rides to get to Sag Harbor. Pay tribute to Jordan for what he did, thank him for his conviction to enlist, embracing this country's values and his strength and courage to do what had to be done so that many others may live on.

Allow another couple of days to explore Sag Harbor and the rest of the two tips of Long Island because it is beautiful and full of interesting things to see.

Fred W, ionbeam and Cota95 took a tribute ride on April '09

IMG_0604-1.jpg

This group made the road trip in May '09, several coming from as far as northern Illinois (WheatonFJR is taking the picture) and gypsy from the Halifax area.

53.jpg

IMG_7413Sm.jpg

_DSC5880aSM.jpg

56.jpg

Under the Jordan bridge, an unapproved, unauthorized tribute.

bridge1.jpg

Bridge2.jpg

bridge3.jpg

23.jpg

I'd like to ask about some local information:

I mapquested Sag Harbor, and I see two bridges, the one this must be is Bay St over to North Haven? That would make sense as now that I look at it, the other one is HWY 60 from Noyack to North Haven.

On the ferries, can you take a bike/car ferry from New London? I bet I know right where those start at as my wife & I took Amtrak to Boston this yr from Florida, then came back to NL for my submarine reunion in Groton. The Amtrak station is right by the ferry landings...

This IS on my trip list, just trying to figure it out...

I heartily recommend this road trip as well...it was a MUST trip for me.

Thanks Chris for the update...that is some beautiful metal work.

As many of you know, my son Jordan was killed in Iraq in April of 2008 while defending his post from a vehicle borne IED. Shortly after that, New York State honored him by renaming the bridge crossing over our bay "The LCpl Jordan Haerter Veterans' Memorial Bridge".
Wow, I need to make a road trip.......
that is just a gorgeous tribute among many tributes

and yes, still on my bucket list

if folks here plan a trip, let us all know

flag.gif
flag.gif
flag.gif
flag.gif
flag.gif

I mapquested Sag Harbor, and I see two bridges, the one this must be is Bay St over to North Haven?
Yes.

On the ferries, can you take a bike/car ferry from New London?
Yes. Go Here <clicky> for more info. When we were there last year, we made our reservations a day in advance and didn't have any problems.

This IS on my trip list, just trying to figure it out...
I highly recommend it. We spent 2 nights on Long Island last year. The first night was after riding from York, PA, through NYC to the area around Sag Harbor. The next night was after spending the day riding around Sag Harbor, Greenport, etc, and The Axeman took time away from his business to give us a nice riding tour around the Hamptons. It was a great time.

+1 to what all the others have said.

It was a very moving experience for me to have visited Sag Harbor and to see the memorials and final resting place of Jordan Haerter, a true American Hero in every sense. I plan on doing the trip again sometime soon, perhaps next spring, so that I can share it with my wife this time, and see the new plaque. Do not let the fact that this is "Long Island" deter you. This part if the Island is as quaint and picturesque as being Cape Cod (if you know what that is like).

Last edited by a moderator:
It's beautiful, Chris. Prayers to you and your family.
+1, Gunny! Very moving and beautiful. You and Your Family are always in the Prayers of The Stanley Boys. It is on our " Ride List" to visit Sag Harbor and see the memorials and final resting place of Jordan.

As Patriot Mike said earlier, if there's an organized ride next year just let us know. We would use our H.O.G. membership to rent a bike for this, flying into NYC. Seth's Family is in the Saratoga Springs area.

Latest posts