Just Ordered my CB +2+2...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agrats84

Reaction score
After reading countless threads and losing hours of sleep (seriously), I finally broke down and ordered the CB +2+2 Flip. I chose the CB with the flip because I would rather see a slight curve at the top instead of added inches for the same results. No matter what I read, no one seemed to be completely happy with just one screen and most likely have a few sitting in their garage. If this is the case, I might have a CB for sale and a CalSci on the bike by next summer. However, I would have to imagine that anything bigger than stock must add some level of improvement. I will post pics and a review as soon as I add a few miles with it.

I have a question though- I will be trailering a few bikes to Maine in about a month and was wondering if I could just leave the shield off the bike to keep it from getting all dirty from road grime?

6'1"

32" inseam

Stock seat in tall position

Stock handlebars

Arai Signet/e Helmet

Last edited by a moderator:
Agrats... you're funny. Leave the shield off? Well, for sure. It is your bike. If you'd like it off, then keep it off.

A word about the height... I have a +4 Height +2 width Cee Baily w/ flip. I am 5'8" w/ a 32" inseam & I need to raise the shield a little to get a still pocket of air. I imagine for a guy w/ a long torso like yours will need a taller shield than a +2 to achieve that still pocket.

Heidi

Dude, lighten up :D

Losing sleep over a new CB windshield? :huh: Removing the shield so it doesn't get dirty while being trailered?? :eek:

First, you should be excited as hell about the new shield. :yahoo: It'll be SO much better than stock. Will it be "perfect"? No. None of them are, but some are close (IMHO).

My suggestion is lose the trailer and ride the bike. Ride it, enjoy it and quit sweating the small stuff

+2H may mot be enough for you.

I'm 5'11" and have a +2H 0W flip and still get buffetting with the shield fully up. It's an improvement on stuock, but a little dissappointing none the less.

Maybe your +2W will make the difference over mine.

You just ordered... it probably wouldn't be too late if you wanted to change your order. Just a thought... 'cause I'm pretty sure that you'll be disappointed w/ the +2h

agrats84: At your height (and inseam has nothing to do with windshield measurements - unless of course you ride standing up..? ;) ), I would definitely opt for the +4" X +4". I'm 6'1.5" and that's the size of the Cee Bailey's windshield I use based on their recommended measuring guidelines and two "clarifying" telephone discussions with them last year.

According to the gentleman I spoke with at Cee Bailey's (whose name escapes me), ideally the top of their reverse contour (a.k.a. flip) windshield should fall somewhere between your collar bone and Adam's apple when lowered, and between your mouth and the tip of your nose (with eyes level and looking ahead) when fully raised. They went on to tell me that the main purpose of the reverse contour (which directs the airstream up and over the rider) is to allow for a slightly lower windshield profile thus allowing the rider to look over the top of the windshield by at least 2" - 4" with minimized buffeting. If find this to be a relatively true statement.

Hope this helps!

agrats84: At your height (and inseam has nothing to do with windshield measurements - unless of course you ride standing up..? ;) ), I would definitely opt for the +4" X +4". I'm 6'1.5" and that's the size of the Cee Bailey's windshield I use based on their recommended measuring guidelines and two "clarifying" telephone discussions with them last year.
According to the gentleman I spoke with at Cee Bailey's (whose name escapes me), ideally the top of their reverse contour (a.k.a. flip) windshield should fall somewhere between your collar bone and Adam's apple when lowered, and between your mouth and the tip of your nose (with eyes level and looking ahead) when fully raised. They went on to tell me that the main purpose of the reverse contour (which directs the airstream up and over the rider) is to allow for a slightly lower windshield profile thus allowing the rider to look over the top of the windshield by at least 2" - 4" with minimized buffeting. If find this to be a relatively true statement.

Hope this helps!
Gunny!

After expensive experiments, I bought a Schuberth S1 on close-out. Back to the stock screen, full down. My other shields are up for sale.

I have a question though- I will be trailering a few bikes to Maine in about a month and was wondering if I could just leave the shield off the bike to keep it from getting all dirty from road grime?

What I do when I trailer, is to hire someone to sit in the trailer with the bike and keep the windshield clean during the whole trip....

You have more courage than I. I couldn’t pull the trigger on ordering a shield yet, almost submitted the order a dozen times with cee bailey and rifle but backed out before payment. Let us know how it works out.

Just my .02 worth....

The CB +2+2 w/ flip is small enough to keep the natural lines of the bike in check as it blocks the majority of the wind without incurring too much buffeting. However, if you are wanting to isolate yourself in a pocket of silence then you should attach one of larger plastic walls (but hey these are bikes not cars). I like my CB +2+2 w/ flip, its an improvement over the stock screen. In a nut shell, it allows me enough protection to enjoy the bike without it being too obtrusive.

On a side note... if you are worried about road grime, just pop holes in the packaging plastic and attach the windscreen while its still in the bag!! This way whenever the bag gets dirty you can just tear it off and put a new one on! Better yet, just wrap it in Sahran Wrap!!

I'm 6' and I got a +3 and find it to be about right. I could have probably just gone with the +4 + 2 model and been fine.

Just my 2 cents.

Dave

On a side note... if you are worried about road grime, just pop holes in the packaging plastic and attach the windscreen while its still in the bag!! This way whenever the bag gets dirty you can just tear it off and put a new one on! Better yet, just wrap it in Sahran Wrap!!
You guyz make me chuckle.

I went big with the +6 +6 CB flip. I was able to install it but have not ridden with it yet due to business travel. I'm 6' tall and have a longish torso. My thought was to start big and work my way down rather than start small and keep second guessing myself. The flip and the tail trunk look good together; fairly natural offsets. I will let you know how it feels on the road once I get back home.

I put a +4+4 CB on shortly after I got Frank-an 05. It's never been off. I have a homemade spacer setup that allows for more tiltback up or down, and I have my fugly Baker Wings-the combo works perfect, airflow without noise, good shielding in inclement weather. Wouldn't change it for all the THC in TDubs body.

I went big with the +6 +6 CB flip. I was able to install it but have not ridden with it yet due to business travel. I'm 6' tall and have a longish torso. My thought was to start big and work my way down rather than start small and keep second guessing myself. The flip and the tail trunk look good together; fairly natural offsets. I will let you know how it feels on the road once I get back home.
As promised ... I put in three hours today with the +6 +6 CB flip. About 80% of the time was twisites and 20% highways. In the full up position, I look through the windscreen with almost no buffeting and minimal wind noise. All I can hear is the motor humming along. The windscreen was rock solid without the slightest rattle even with quick bursts up to 100 mph. It won't slow you down as I was able to outrun a perplexed GSXR rider in the twisties albeit with several showers of sparks. (A full suspension upgrade is in the works.)

I detected some back pressure but nothing bothersome. The one true downside is all that wind protection makes for a warmer ride. I guess I was about 5-10% warmer behind the windscreen in the full up position. However, I was able to ride with my visor fully open so that countered the effect somewhat.

All in all, I'm very happy with it.

Hi Agrats

Radman makes a good point about the spacers - I have a rifle +6 for winter riding - but I keep my stocker on for Summer, but with spacers. They make a pretty significant difference..... especially with the screen raised 75% or more.

If you'd like, I can take a look at my spacer setup and check dimensions for you if you should ever want to try this out.

enjoy your new shield

Here is another .02. I'm about 5' 11 and ordered the CB +2 stock width. I left the stock width because the original shield was wide enough. With the shield down, I still get some air around my helmet, but without the buffeting and wind roar. I like some air at warmer temps. Fully up, I am almost looking though the shield with no buffeting and a very still pocket. I originally tried the Yamaha touring shield (just bigger, not more effective), and the CB +4 H +2W(not enough air lowered, looks too big for me). I will have these two shields up for sale soon since the CB I have now will work in all conditions for me. I just thought of this...I also have a Corbin seat, so that may actually lower ME by an inch or so.

What's to worry about. It's not like you bought a new bike....

I'm 6' 1" and raise the shield a little for a quiet pocket. It is a combination of shield and lid.

I do like the plastic wrap idea!!!! (plus Tape)

What I do when I trailer, is to hire someone to sit in the trailer with the bike and keep the windshield clean during the whole trip....
Being an X-Harley guy, it doesn't surprise me you'd be an expert on trailering bikes!

:fuck:

Just kidding ;)

No really :fuck:

Just kidding! :)

No but seriously :fuck: