Kickstand Mishap

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stiltz

Reaction score
:angry: Anyone else out there have any kickstand failures??? My 06 fell over into a wall, so at least it did not go flat onto fairing or casing. But it was definitely upright when i left it in the garage..

Last edited by a moderator:
:angry: Anyone else out there have any kickstand failures??? My 06 fell over into a wall, so at least it did not go flat onto fairing or casing. But it was definitely upright when i left it in the garage..
There have been a thread or two about this topic. I've never had the FJR tip over off the stand, but there are those who argue that it's not a very well designed stand. I'm always careful to give the stand an extra nudge before putting the bike's weight on it.

Are you sure it was upright when you left it in the garage? :D

Bob

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

There have been a thread or two about this topic. I've never had the FJR tip over off the stand, but there are those who argue that it's not a very well designed stand. I'm always careful to give the stand an extra nudge before putting the bike's weight on it.

Are you sure it was upright when you left it in the garage? :D

Bob

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

She stays on the Center Stand now. I am thinking that the kickstand was not all the way forward. (not grooved in yet)..

That's affirm Houston. The kickstand appears to be functional. Fredo just had an operator error here.

Yep, have read a ton of "Kick Stand Failures" on this board and other boards also. So far none (that I've read about) have bent or broken causeing the crash. Just a little hint here but if you just gotta put it in neutral, then do it when you start it. Leaving it in gear when parking it keeps the "Garage Gremlins" from pushing it off the side stand when you are not looking. Also starting it in neutral & putting it in gear instantly & riding off right away keeps it from makeing that big clunking sound after you warm it up & then shift into gear. Later,,, De :rolleyes:

Stiltz,

File 1/8 inch off of the sidestand stop. That'll take it past center & make it much less likely to fold by accident.

dobias :glare:

Or, just lean it against the tree in front of your house like I do.....

While the side stand is not defective or broken, the design has led to a large number of operator failures. A robust design would ensure that the side stand was always correctly deployed and prevent all tip-overs. This is definitely not the design of the FJR's side stand. Search on TOGs (Tip Over Guards) and sliders to read the gory history of owner errors and how to minimize the damage should you be unskillful enough not to get the side stand down correctly ;) Stiltz, over the years you have had a lot of company with tip-overs. If there is any consolation, you escaped with the least damage possible while gaining 'experience'.

+1 File 1/8 inch off of the sidestand stop.

+1 Leave it in gear when parked.

+1 TOGs or Sliders.

it was definitely upright when i left it in the garage..
Hey, ion...you didn't "+1" my leaning tree technique? What gives?
I assumed he didn't have any trees in his garage. I could be wrong....

+ 1 To the tree. It doubles as a good tie point for a security cable too. A good multi-tasker, eh?

That's good thinking...I never thought of that. Then again....I live in a nice neighborhood.

Interesting. I had not read about these problems before. But it was obvious to me immediately that the side stand on the FJR does not have a very good design to be sure it is fully "down". It makes me very nervous because I keep the bike on the stand right next to my Corvette.

I almost had an oops at work, my kickstand must not have been all the way down and popped back up. I noticed in time to push it back up (barely) to be able to put the kickstand down again. Seemed strange to me, never had any bike in the past do that to me.

Aim

it was definitely upright when i left it in the garage..
Hey, ion...you didn't "+1" my leaning tree technique? What gives?
I assumed he didn't have any trees in his garage. I could be wrong....

+ 1 To the tree. It doubles as a good tie point for a security cable too. A good multi-tasker, eh?

No, no, no. You'll get bird poop all over the seat. Duh! Plus, the last thing I want is some squirrel makin' a home in my glovebox. :D

What you don't know is that the feejer is bait for squirrels. Love them little suckers grilled. Two squirrels make one heck of a satisfying meal.

As for the birds..........

Just like anything else you do in life, ya gotta use your head once ina while otherwise... shit happens. <_<

I don't belive the stand is any better or worse than most other bikes I think inattention plays a big role in this problem, er maybe alcohol. I know it's not a newbie thing

:jester:

[understatement] I have owned more than 1 motorcycle [/understatement] and this is the only one that I have owned that had a side stand that I consistently have inattention with and the need to use my head. Like having to relearn to push the turn signal cancel button, I have had to learn to pay attention to the side stand every time I use it. Guess we need to investigate the swish/swipe/kick technique and boot size to find out why some people are more successful than others :rolleyes: :lol:

Quess? Is that some new french word about sex that I don't know about? Is it a position? .....do tell.....sounds cool.

Just like anything else you do in life, ya gotta use your head once ina while otherwise... shit happens. <_< I don't belive the stand is any better or worse than most other bikes I think inattention plays a big role in this problem, er maybe alcohol. I know it's not a newbie thing

:jester:
Having owned a K1200LT (notorious for falling off the side stand), it's just ingrained in me to roll the bike forward in gear until it stops before putting the side stand down.

FWIW, I've always wondered why other OEMs can't put locking side stands on bikes like HD does. Such a simple and easy to implement idea: weight on - stand won't move, weight off - stand can retract.

Latest posts