Killed my Engine

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hooray!!

And for ever more Alan's bike will no longer be known as the "Silver Bullet".

It's now to be called "The Silver Phoenix"... :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wowser Alan! That's almost unbelievable - but AWESOME news - and just in time to get some miles in during the holiday weekend. Congratulations!

VH

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTT

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Hope youu have a great weekend riding, you have definitley waited long enough!

Hi All,
I have read Ionbeam's posting regarding the death of his engine and the saga that you endured to get back riding. Do you believe that this was all attributable to a failed Can Chain Tensioner? Is a "TICKER" the same issue?
On the weekend I was tinkering with my bike and put the restrictors in my "Staintune" slip ons. On start up the bike was of course quieter as you would expect, but this allowed me to hear a faint but distinct rhythmical metal on metal tapping that I don't recall hearing before.
Could this be the C.C.T. or am I simply paranoid after reading some of the details on this FORUM? My bike has a relatively low 40,000 miles .

Best regards
Surly
umnik.gif

Surly,

A "ticker" and a bad CCT are most assuredly TWO separate issues.

A "ticker" can go thousands and thousands (tens of thousands) of miles with little affect on performance, other than increased oil consumption.

A bad CCT can cause instantaneous and expensive death to the motor in microseconds.

Both issues seem to be 2003/04/05 problems, and you are RIGHT AT the mileage for a bad CCT to rear its ugly head.

The "quick" diagnosis to determine the difference is to determine where the noise is coming from. Typically, a "ticker" results in the metallic clattering coming from the left-hand side of the motor, usually from cylinder #1 or #2. A bad CCT noise comes from the right-hand side of the motor, from behind the crankcase cover.

The only definitive way to determine if an FJR is a "ticker" is to pull the exhaust headers off and see if there is an accumulation of engine oil in the exhaust ports...this is a sure sign the valve guides are wearing and letting oil seep into the exhaust ports.

Ionbeam's motor took a dump, if I recall, around 40k miles. Mine went tits-up at 42k. So you are right in the ballpark, mileage-wise, for a possible CCT replacement.

Ideally, if the noise is coming from the cylinder-head area, particularly on the left-hand side of the motor, you MIGHT have a "ticker". If the noise is coming from the right-hand side of the motor, particularly from behind the crank cover, you MIGHT have a bad CCT.

The key is to determine which, and if it IS a bad CCT, get it replaced ASAP! Like I said, owning a "ticker" is disappointing, but not "end of the world". Having a CCT go bad and destroying your valve train IS the end of the world for your motor.

Good luck in your diagnosis.

'Howie

EDIT TO ADD:

Cost-wise, a "ticker" fix is MUCH more expensive than a bad CCT replacement, UNLESS the chain whips off the crank sprocket and the cams go outta time with the pistons...THEN all bets are off!

Hi Howie,

thanks for the quick and informative response. The noise that I heard was from the very end of the exhaust system. I am going to look further as you have advised and believe that replacement of the CCT is best option at present.

Best regards

Surly

Upright not Uptight

Hi Guys,

No I hadn't been drinkin or smokin, honest. I had just installed the restrictors and crancked it over, there was a faint but distinct rhythmical metal on metal tapping that I don't recall ever hearing before. I thought that the exhaust could have been acting like a megaphone. It was coming from both sides and not audible unless close to the exhaust tip. I took the restrictors out and tried to relax a bit, I might have had a smoke or two then to relax don't remember cause I started drinkin a bit.

The restrictors are out now and because of this I no longer hear the sound I have described. I do intend to reinstall them and try again but feel that the CCT would help ease my paranoia.

Best regards

Surly

Upright not Uptight

Hi All,
I have read Ionbeam's posting regarding the death of his engine and the saga that you endured to get back riding. Do you believe that this was all attributable to a failed Can Chain Tensioner? Is a "TICKER" the same issue?
On the weekend I was tinkering with my bike and put the restrictors in my "Staintune" slip ons. On start up the bike was of course quieter as you would expect, but this allowed me to hear a faint but distinct rhythmical metal on metal tapping that I don't recall hearing before.
Could this be the C.C.T. or am I simply paranoid after reading some of the details on this FORUM? My bike has a relatively low 40,000 miles .

Best regards
Surly
umnik.gif
the ONLY noise symptom to be concerned with is the sound of "marbles in a can" at idle when cold till warmup

virtually all with an exception or two of the atomic engines that destroyed itself were failed cam chain tensioners...and all those were the Gen 1 part. there is a sigh of relief that a new and determined improved part with a longer throw CCT replaces the old, crappy one.

all those metal parts make clicks, swooshes, zings, etc which are all normal

Hi Patriot,

I am used to things that sound like "marbles in a can" in this head of mine.

Thanks for your advice.

I may sleep easier tonight.

sleepysmileyanim.gif

Best regards

Surly