Killed my Engine

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look forward to seeing you again Alan. Good luck with that-it sure doesn't sound right!.

George

Last edited by a moderator:
Good JuJu your way brother, and thanks for the play by play...must be painful as hell to encapsulate all this karmic malfeasance. By the way, your cat looks awesome !

Good wrenching with no wretching !

Blessings,

Bobby

Even my Norton on its worst day couldn’t come close the vibrations I’ve got now. Take one of those vibrating beds, plug it into 480 volt, three phase AC power, pour in $100 in change and my paint mixer FJR will still out buzz it.
I know this is probably a really stupid question, but are you sure the counterbalancers are timed right?

While I geared up, my wife made sure that the owner knew that OUR bike would be back and it WOULD BE FIXED, and fixed in a timely fashion. My wife terrorized him by telling him that he wouldn’t be dealing with me any more because I’m soft, the next time his phone rings it will be her and his life is going to suck until her ride runs well again.
Give her a hug for me, willya? :p

I truly wish you the best of luck. But if it really vibrates worse than a Norton, it ain't over yet. Hopefully something simple is causing the vibration.....

Well, the slow motion Soap Opera grinds on.

When I picked up my FJR in Feb. the first thing I said to the dealer is that the exhaust note is way wrong and the amount of vibration was ridiculously bad. The dealer told me to ride it and get some miles on it and if it is still bad he will make things right -- "As good as or better than new". Knowing that I would be back I rode off.

I put on a lot of miles on since I picked up my bike. The vibrations did get significantly better but even so, it was still ridiculously bad. During that period of riding it buzzed, rattled and shook out screws, nuts, bolts and other pieces of hardware. It buzzed the handlebars to the point that it fractured the metal mount for my AVCC pad. When it was idling on the side stand my feet could feel the ground shake 5 feet away. Last week it was back to the dealer. Much to my surprise the dealer immediately agreed that there was a problem, no arguing, and no dispute. He made an appointment for me to bring it in and had Jake do a preliminary check-out before I left.

Yesterday morning (6/24) I dropped off my FJR for repair. Jake wasn't in yet but the mechanic that took my bike in told me that Jake had spoken with Yamaha several times during the elapsed week and Jake had even ordered some parts. I made it clear that I was expecting a root cause solution, not some rubber shims under the handlebars and call it a day.

Yesterday afternoon the manager told me that the engine is on the floor :eek:mg2: :cray: He says that they very quickly ruled out engine mounting as the source of vibrations and a short while later had confirmed that the balancers were 'spot on'. That eliminated all the simple to fix external problems, time to go in.

This morning they are going to go back through the entire engine and measure/test everything. Yamaha has told the dealer to replace all the rods and crank bearings no matter what else they find. Seeing the potential for my summer riding season going away I asked the dealer for a wild guess as to when they could get gaskets and parts to affect the repair. In a major shock to me he says that they have all the parts and gaskets on hand, no matter what they need to replace.

I can't express how disappointed I was when I picked up my bike in February. I really feared that the dealer would refuse or balk at making good on his warranty. While it *really* cranked my handle that my bike wasn't fixed correctly in the first place I am relieved to see the dealer step up and accept the responsibility to 'make it right'. So, today I'm waiting for the phone to ring...

Nice to read stuff like this-not all dealers are "stealers", a known fact, but one that needs reinforcement now and then.

Ionbeam, you're tale of woe is one of the reasons I'm replacing my cam chain tensioner at K. Once in a while I think I hear cam chain noise, I immediately think of you. So for a measly $85 bucks that new pup is being installed.

Good luck, and fingers crossed that the root cause is found. It has to be an out of balance reciprocating part with a large mass.

Ionbeam,

I was hoping to hear a different story and feel your pain. Mine is is the shop as well and with the tech's having to call Japan Engineers on what the problems could be, #4 fouling.

To solve my FJR-less grief, I now have a FZ1. It helps with my patience and grief.

May you get a Happy Result soon!

In the perfect world, Yamaha should give you a brand spanking new motor after putting you through all this to get you back on the road as soon as possible. I do not have the patience that you possess.

ionbeam- If this is the Jake (as in "Jaques") that I'm thinking of, your bike is in VERY good hands. I can assure you they won't dick you around on this. If they say they have the parts, take it for what it's worth. I spend alot of time (and money) down there and alot of those guys are almost family to me....that said, I can crack some skulls if you'd like...LOL

Next time you're coming to town, hit me up!

ionbeam- If this is the Jake (as in "Jaques") that I'm thinking of, your bike is in VERY good hands. I can assure you they won't dick you around on this. If they say they have the parts, take it for what it's worth. I spend alot of time (and money) down there and alot of those guys are almost family to me....that said, I can crack some skulls if you'd like...LOL
Next time you're coming to town, hit me up!
From much earlier in the process, it was revealed that Ion had selected [edit] a certain Yamaha dealer in Southern NH to be named later [/edit] to do the repairs. Is that where your Jaques works? IF so, that is good news for Ion and for the rest of us that may occasionally need a hired wrench in Southern NH.

I've actually been trying not to 'out' the dealer that is doing the work until it is complete and the final judgment is made. I have known from the beginning that there is a chance that this whole thing could require some legal leverage to bring it to a satisfactory close and didn't want to have the dealer named and publicly maligned. I want to be free to report any shit work or slimy business practices without worry about slander or libel charges in court from the dealer’s attorney. I will supply all the dealer details when done.

While the first 'repair' has issues, overall the dealership gets pretty high marks. [optimistic] In the end I anticipate writing a good review and deliver a high recommendation. [/optimistic]

Note that I didn't make mention of the Salvage companies that I was working with until that phase of the project was over. At that point I named names, judged, reviewed and left contact information.

Hopefully I will have some good news later today.

From much earlier in the process, it was revealed that Ion had selected [edit] a certain Yamaha dealer in Southern NH to be named later [/edit] to do the repairs. Is that where your Jaques works? IF so, that is good news for Ion and for the rest of us that may occasionally need a hired wrench in Southern NH.
Yeah...I think we're all on the same page here. Alan took his bike to the right only place, IMO.

Also, I'd like to offer my wrench to the "occasionally hired wrench" part for the Southern NH community.

Finally, the service manager there likes loves huuuuuge bear-hugs.....he'll give you a discount if you mention my name during the hugging...."from bergs with love"... ;) ......no really.... :lol:

sweet. We all gotta get together.

Of course, I've never paid anyone to fix any of my bikes ever. And I'm talking ~30 years of various bikes owned. But you never know... And I bet you like beer, huh? Lots a beer?

My Feej is the first bike I ever had with an extended warranty...

sweet. We all gotta get together.
Yep.

I say, when ionbeam gets his bike back, we plan a celebratory ride through some select town roads in the area. I have a pretty good route I ride that I find fairly entertaining.

Of course, I've never paid anyone to fix any of my bikes ever. And I'm talking ~30 years of various bikes owned. But you never know... And I bet you like beer, huh? Lots a beer?
I hear ya. That's why I have eleventy-thousand tools. I always tell people "my bike has seen the dealership once....the day I bought it".

And yes, I like my beer.......it has essential vitamins! :D