knowing what i know about gear Now, I would get this instead:

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrsochs

Reaction score
Now that its 90degrees everywhere I'm riding, I really wish I had some of that cool gear I see folks wearing. Pun intended. I have touring gear and since I'm crossing states, I am wearing it all...and swerving to avoid heat strokes. Kilimanjaro jacket has a liquid bladder, helmet flips, windshiled adjusts but daaaang its hot!!!!!! GEN II Luckily, my right zipper just broke-the pocket that holds my bike key when I'm walking around the gas station...cant lose that key therefore, I have a reason to go get gear!

This is a query...what gear do you prefer for the summer. Bake brace and a tank top or do you run your full gear? Thanks all.

I'm still experimenting myself. I do ATGATT, but try to tailor the gear to the situation.

The pants never change, the configuration of them does. I have some tourmaster pants that start as full up insulated, wat5erproof and Nylon outside with Mesh inside which holds the CE Armor. The Insulation zips out first, then the waterproof liner, then the Nylon outer leaving the mesh and the armor. So far they have worked fine.

I have a Tourmaster jacket as well, not as pleased with that, just waiting to melt the sleeve on a hot muffler or something. the biggest gripe I have with the coat is that in heavy rain it lets water in at the bottom of thew zipper and around my neck. Nothing worse than riding with cold wet balls.

I recently purchased a First Gear, day glo green, Mesh Jacket. I've only worn it a few times, it worked well keeping me kool, haven't tested the "waterproof" inner liner yet. Need to make an adapter so it will zip to the tourmaster pants. There should be an ISO standard zipper for MC Gear.

Gloves - I have a pair of First Gear Summer Gloves and a pair of First Gear Winter "WATERPROOF" NOT! Gloves, thank god for handwarmers, wet gloves can keep your hands warm with the heaters on high.

Motoport (aka Cycleport) kevlar mesh. Expensive, but worth it, and the ultimate in adaptability to different climates on a tour. See:

www.motoport.com

Last edited by a moderator:
It's true I've learned a lot about gear I like since I retired and started racking up serious miles (and adopted the ATGATT philosophy). But what I've really learned more than anything else is what NOT to buy. Wish I could turn in all the jackets, gloves, helmets, boots, luggage, and freaking anti fog crap I've bought that were a total bust. I'd be happy to take about 15 cents on the dollar. Maybe I could pick up that new red FJR after all.

Motoport (aka Cycleport) kevlar mesh. Expensive, but worth it, and the ultimate in adaptability to different climates on a tour. See:
www.motoport.com
I have the kevlar mesh. Great stuff. If I had it to do again I would go with the stretch kevlar instead. Better at keeping you cool in all sorts of conditions (e.g. the dry deserts)

So far, when touring I've used my stich with all vents opened and compression gear underneath. I will sweat, but it's manageable and I drink lots of water to hydrate, from a camelbak. I add electrolytes to the camelbak and drink about 1/2 gallon per hour. This isn't too bad when I'm in the desert at 105F. Once or twice I have added a cooling vest which seems to help.

I've only ridden in the humid south once when it was really hot, and did the same thing. But this year I have some perforated leathers I'm going to experiment with.

Another +1 for the Motoport. I've got the Kevlar mesh as well. But when it wears out (in 400 years!) I think I'll be replacing it with whatever the hot ticket is from Klim. That shit's the bomb with no liners to fuss with.

Another +1 for the Motoport. I've got the Kevlar mesh as well. But when it wears out (in 400 years!) I think I'll be replacing it with whatever the hot ticket is from Klim. That shit's the bomb with no liners to fuss with.
Steve, I'll take the Kevlar Mesh stuff off your hands...so you can get that Klim gear

I love my Motoport Pants and Scorpion XDR Master Mesh Jacket.

I have the Tourmaster Venture Air Pants which I loved until the day before yesterday when the front zipper broke! Thankfully I don't go commando underneath, so I am still wearing them. Going to try and get it replaced with a heavier duty zipper. Hate that cheap plastic shit.

Keep in mind that there is a trade off of comfort and protection when going to mesh gear, so buying the best quality mesh gear that fits you well is important.

It's true I've learned a lot about gear I like since I retired and started racking up serious miles (and adopted the ATGATT philosophy). But what I've really learned more than anything else is what NOT to buy. Wish I could turn in all the jackets, gloves, helmets, boots, luggage, and freaking anti fog crap I've bought that were a total bust. I'd be happy to take about 15 cents on the dollar. Maybe I could pick up that new red FJR after all.
But you love your Frogg Toggs, right ? :thumbsup:

I have two different mesh jackets that I don't wear! It doesn't feel like the armor would stay where it should in a crash, nor would the mesh do much in a slide!

Instead, I wear a "Scorpion" perforated leather jacket. It's very well made,and I payed like $450 for it. If stopped at a light, I break a sweat, but as soon as I move the perforation is like an air conditioner. (With the liner in it's warm as heck!)

Maybe it's just me, but I find it cooler than the mesh by far, and I know I have leather and armor in a crash!

BMW riding boots, Icon leather gloves, Scorpion riding pants for long trips, jeans local, full face helmet.

+1 on leather.

Aerostitch Transit suit. Yeah it is a heavy investment, but I've worn it it temps from the 30's to 110 (LD comfort for undies), and it really is waterproof. No rain gear requited.

I am still looking for the perfect coat and haven't found it yet. What I'd like is a mesh coat with the armor in place and a waterproof overcoat that fits comfortably over. The idea of adding liners is just stupid. If you buy the coat big enough to put two liners in it then it's too big without liners. Aaarrrrggghhh. Coming close with the Olympia mesh, but picked the wrong jacket.

And I know the AGATT guys may find this blasphemous, but I don't want to wear heavy bulky gear. I'm heavy and bulky enough already.

Tourmaster Overpants are a little warm when it is over 100F even with the thigh vents open. Tourmaster Transition II with the liner and with all the vents open is good up to about 100F, after that I open up the neck strap and lower the zipper a bit until I am moving again. About 110F it gets uncomfortable but is bearable. I've resorted to running water down the neck using a filling station water hose on a couple of days in the 100F range. Bought a Competition Accessories mesh jacket I last fall and have yet to wear but it looks like it will flow a lot of air over a cooling vest.

Cycleport Kevlar mesh jacket/pants anytime I exceed city speeds. For the work commute (worn over scrubs) First gear mesh and Draggin jeans. Really want a 'Stich but hard to justify with the Cycleport in the closet

I'm ATGATT with the Klim Badlands Pro pants and jacket. I have a couple of small quibbles (you need to do some tweaking to keep all the armour in place, etc.) but overall, great stuff. I've worn it - and survived, although not necessarily comfortably - in temperatures up to slightly above body temp (at which point you start thinking about putting on more layers, not taking them off...). I love wearing the same stuff every time out and not having to fart around with rain suits and liners, etc.

Motoport (aka Cycleport) kevlar mesh. Expensive, but worth it, and the ultimate in adaptability to different climates on a tour. See:www.motoport.com
+1

Since Motoport is only about 40 miles from here, I rode in to have Wayne measure me for pants. At the price of this (and other "custom" gear), I figured it was a good excuse to ride.

Like a personally farkled LD motorcycle, good gear should be as comfortable as the skin (and the rest of the body) that it protects.

Happy hunting!

I just got off the bike today after a 5700 tour from Orlando to California and through the Grand Canyon, etc.

Went with First Gear Mesh-Tex jacket in Hi-VIs, Shoei in brilliant yellow (tinted shield), and Joe Rocket SIlver Mesh pants. I stayed fairly cool, except in Needles at 108°F...