KrZy8 Stumble off Idle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DC: I'll be getting after it tomorrow. Today was 'check the retirement dollars status' day.

Gonna trim the spending, for sure.
Hudson: So this is probably the wrong time to say I might be putting the KTM up for sale?
That's just mean Hudson!

~G
There's always 'the other budget!' :whistle:

JSNS and
fuck.gif

Hugs n' Kisses

And I ain't done shit yet on KrZy8.

Getting Naomi ready for fall big rides....

punk.gif

KrZy8 finally on lift. Started messing w CO settings. All at 70. Ran up to 100 and much better. Ran to max of 126 no real change. Ran to min of -128 and she wouldn't even start. Gonna leave it 110 for now.

Corroded spark wire plug at #4 connector. Blue-Green discoloration. Wire marginally in contact. Cut back 1/8" to good wire, cleaned connector cap, re-installed. TB sync and for now, at least on the lift, KrZy8 sounds great!

published by dcarver on Wed, 07/24/2019 - 16:19

Forums:
KrZy8

Recently performed valve adjust on KrZy8.

Ran great for awhile but then a significant stumble off idle, hard starting, mpg decrease from ~40 to ~30.

Time for a compression test.

Pulled plugs 1,2,3. Spark Plug tool wouldn't reach all the way down to plug 4. Getting snagged on something? WTFO?

First thought somehow, SOMEHOW, I screwed getting the cover aligned properly. But HOW could that possible happen?

Running a finger on the inside... oh crap. Valve cover gasket poochage going on. But it hasn't been leaking. So break out the long skinny fishing knife my Pops gave and trim the gasket. All good now! Plug comes out, compression test sat!

Time to button her up and go for a ride!

Here's the corroded connector...

....and the pooched valve cover gasket.

Results of compression test. Butterflies wide open, fresh battery on charger.

Hal Risser was here!

Results of today's ride. Broke away from the pack, tail between rear legs, limped home. Even bought a quart of Chevron oil (6 bucks!) JIC.

Shouldn't complain, KrZy8 got me home. Right boot and sock covered in oil, summer vented boots.

New gaskets and o-rings ordered to replace inventory.

Just hate having pull that cover off again. PITA.

Unlike BMW K6 though, 25 bucks vs. 100 bucks for the gasket!

I think that bike will breathe a sigh of relief when it is finally put out to pasture. Where was the oil leak?

Good catch on the plug wire. I wish Yamaha left just a bit more slack in those wires. Very little room for trimming - hard enough just to get them put back without stressing the wire-to-boot connection.

Compression still looks good. I never checked the compression on my '07. Still ran OK at 185,000 miles and I figured I didn't really want to know if compression was getting bad. At that mileage, an engine swap would be the only reasonable option.

Last edited by a moderator: