KZ1300 'Flog the shit outta of it' ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Yesterday rode the mighty KZ1300 150 Miles around the north county.

The 41 year old bike ran great! Did not overheat. Yes it was cool outside, about 60°F but in similar weather previously the bike did overheat so I am cautiously optimistic that all is now good.

The hottest it got was the upper end of the normal temperature operating zone even when pulling hard on uphills.

Decided to ride it like I stole it. Many trips to redline then decel to keep them rings free.

Happy to say she runs clean and pulls hard from 2000 RPM all the way to red line.

Later today I’ll put it on the lift and see how everything looks.

I even got lit up by a CHP just east of Morro Bay. He was headed the opposite direction I’m stuck in a line of cars. He saw me, hit the lights, then wagged his finger at me.

At first I was a little miffed as I was only 10 over the speed limit. About a mile later, I realized he was actually doing me a favor as there was another CHP waiting for speeders going in my direction, eastbound. So the first CHP was actually a good guy.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/496649087?app_id=122963

Gas mileage?

Burn any oil? 

If it turns out it can't take the summer heat, maybe you should make it a three seasons bike - October through May.  Looks like you had a great day.  Don't flog it too hard or Ray will never speak to you again - especially if you break it and bring it back to him to fix.

(With all the overheating stuff, I ASSume that the thermostat was replaced somewhere along the line and the temperature gauge was checked for accuracy.)

I've made sure that bike is not allowed in the state of Oregon.😁

This engine uses a proprietary thermostat and we have 2 NOS units. Both work properly.

I believe Don's latest round  of testing shows the guage to be correct. 

I told him to stop messing with it. If it ain't broke don't fix it. 👌

Yep! Checking fuel delivery now.... not much head pressure due to tank petcock and carb inlet only about 1/2" difference.. TeeHee I said head and petcock in one sentence 🤣