Laam Seat - Leather or Vinyl

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBinIndy

Reaction score
I am looking into getting a Laam seat for by Gen III. I am undecided on Leather vs. Vinyl. I would prefer Leather for its' breathability and less heat. Unfortunately, the bike is stored outside, in all months but winter, but covered all most all the time. Should this storage situation push me towards Vinyl. Interested in some opinions or experiences. Thanks.

On leather, I use a dressing/ water-proofer pretty regularly. After 7 years my leather cover shows normal wear and is still supple. A seat cover can help on trips, and a full bike cover should avoide sun and rain damage. Vinyl is not affected by moisture, and some designs have good ventilation. Tough question as there are pros and cons to each.

I wish I had this problem of what seat cover to put on a 2016ES

Last edited by a moderator:
Like ETJ ^^^^ I have the carbon fiber pattern vinyl. No worries with wet weather nor any extra care needed. Seat still looks like new after two FJRs and many thousands of miles.

I also have a LAAM on my Tenere with smooth sides and "asphalt" texture vinyl for the sitting surface. I don't slide around as much with it and if you like the look, it too is a nice seat.

Good luck!

--G

The Lamm seat I had had the "asphalt" vinyl. It was really nice. Not sure he still offers that, but if he does and I was getting another seat, that's what I would get.

I had leather-like vinyl on my last bike, and wanted to replicate that on the laam. In the meantime, I had a Yamaha comfort seat, which was an excellent seat. The comfort had the fabric commonly referred to as carbon fiber. In hindsight, the carbon fiber is the best combination of tacky and slippery. But I like my faux leather laam just fine. When I ordered laam, I actually was thinking about leather. Seth explained the downsides, and told menu could have a very similar look and feel without the vulnerability.

I always thought I'd prefer a leather seat until working at a Harley shop I saw just how many folks with leather seats that were never treated properly looked like crap in only a few years. Vinyl now looks so much like leather and without the need to apply any dressings or oils to maintain it. When I ordered my Laam seat and talked with Seth we went over some of these issues. I don't even wash my bike as often as I'd like, maintaining a leather seat is just time I could have been sitting on and riding.

YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
Leather is a great choice if you spend 5 minutes a week applying leather cream to it to keep it supple and protected. Vinyl is a good material also but it has its own downside of cracking and fading in UV exposure. What ever you decide to get it will take care on your part just like washing your bike on a regular basis, checking tire pressure, oil changes,etc.....

It it gets a lot of use or exposure, vinyl benefits from 303. Leather needs a couple of minutes of leather treatment periodically either way.

When I had my seat done last May (during a "ride-in" appointment) Seth discouraged leather because of the need for regular maintenance to preserve it and keep it good looking. He strongly recommended vinyl and the vinyl coverings he uses are top quality, rugged and very long lasting. I did the Carbon pattern Like El Toro and I really like it.

Dan

Go with vinyl. To protect it from UV and other weather related damage, use Meguiar's Supreme Shine protectant. This product contains Scotchgard and UV blockers. It will not leave the vinyl looking shiny. I use it on my Laam vinyl seat and on my car's vinyl and black plastic trim. Great product!!! If you do choose leather (???) Meguiar's has a good leather treatment product as well. I use it on all my leather car interior and leather shoes. Disclaimer, I am not affiliated with Meguiar's in any way.