Laminar Lip on 06 FJR with OEM Tall Screen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caryb

Reaction score
Like many of you here I have been trying to achieve wind protection nirvana on my 06 FJR. I have tried the stock windscreen, CalSci Tall, OEM tall and Cee Bailey +6 +2 with a flip. None of those windscreens really worked for me. The best was the OEM tall but it had a real problem with buffeting around the bottom of the helmet. This was incredibly annoying on any thing but really short rides.

In a last ditch effort to get this corrected, I thought I would try a Laminar Lip. I posted a wanted note on this forum and a couple of our fellow board members very generously hooked me up with a slightly used Laminar Lip. On it went, and I just returned from my first ride. About 100 miles of mixed highways and a little interstate. Still not nirvana but it did move the airflow up and over the helmet eliminating the buffeting at the bottom of the helmet. A side benefit is that the adjustability of the windscreen is now useful. I will have to ride it a bit more but a good improvement overall.

Someone will ask so here are the vitals... Rider is 6'3" with 33" Inseam. Russell saddle in the tall position. Here are some pics:

Laminar Lip Pictures

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some more data points. I just went for my first ride today with my CalSci Large (+3.5). I'm 6'1" with a 35" inseam. About half way up I get clear wind on the helmet and total protection on torso and arms. In the full up position if I sit normally there is a very slight buffeting on the top of the helmet but it is quite manageable and tolerable. If I slouch down an inch or so it is totally quiet - "in the bubble". In the full up position I can see over the top of the screen. When I crouch a bit to get "in the bubble" I look through the screen.

I'm torn about whether I should have ordered the x-large (+4.5). If I had that one, I would be in the bubble all the time in full up position. However I think I would also be looking through the screen, or worse yet, through the line formed by the top of the screen. Since I don't like to look through the screen, I'm thinking I made the right choice. I can look over the top in most conditions, but if it's desperate rain I can crouch a bit to get total protection. I'm going with that theory for a while. Maybe when the big rains come I'll wind up with the +4.5 but for now I think the trade-offs make sense.

I just remembered why I responded to this post in the first place. I bought a Laminar Lip for my Triumph Tiger and it didn't do squat (other than leave holes in the windshield that are now covered with electrical tape.).

I did not notice excessive shake from the windshield with the addition of the Laminar Lip. I did not encounter much cross wind today. That may have some impact. All in all, it seemed pretty stable.

CaryB