Lane Sharing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did someone mention Washington having this on the docket?  Who do I need to pay off?  :D
Coublowjobgh!

Seriously, has the AMA been involved on this issue in your state?
I'd give blowjobs to 51% of the state legislature if they'd pass a law allowing lane splitting. :puke:

Nope. We're the only ones. However, I recall that Texas and Washington were looking into it as your link confirms.
It got in front of the Oregon legislature's transportation committee once. OSP even agreed to it, given something like traffic < 5mph, bikes stay under 15mph, but it didn't make it any further.

If / when it does become legal, I'm not going to try it for the first few months...

Boy do I miss lane sharing here in Chicagoland in the middle of this hot summer! I consider it an absolute priveledge in CA and is the only reason why I would ride a bike in heavy traffic. I agree that the cagers out there in CA get used to it and most will move over if they see you coming. I've had CHP tell me to keep it under 35 when sharing on a slow moving I80 (he warned 4 of us on the PA) and I've followed CHP on the right shoulder on completely stopped 2 laner, so it's completely discretionary as to when it's appropriate in CA.

Yesterday, on the way into work, traffic was at a near standstill so I headed to the shoulder. After a ways, someone in a truck decided they didn't like being shown that it was a poor choice they'd made so moved to block the shoulder.

I dipped back toward the lane and they moved to block any chance I had to move into the space they vacated, so I just as quickly went back to the shoulder where I started. They, in their full-size, extended-bed, raised pickup were left looking like a lineman who'd been faked out by a running back as I passed them.

All at about 10 mph.

I've seen people move to block before but this joker had determination.

Aside from the issue with cagers who can't see us to begin with, I would like the lane sharing idea-especially when traffic is backed up and takes an hour to get 100 ft :huh:

Back East here I think the cagers wouldn't know how to take lane splitters. People have a tendency to not let anyone have a better path through traffic than they do and can sometimes be quite agressive/offensive about it.

(Finally not a Fast Navy Goober anymore !!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually got spit on once riding up the shoulder to get to an off ramp during a construction caused jam.

Another time going to an auto race people yelled and threw stuff at a group of us passing on the right shoulder to get to a motorcycle only entrance. Like they thought we were going to get there and take their seats or something. I guess they were just pissed at having to wait in line with the rest of the cars.

My son and I and a couple of buddies rode our street bikes up to the National Outdoor Motocross race at Washougal, Washington this past weekend. The traffic exiting the track after the races is usually a slow mess because there is only one two lane road in and out, but it was particularly bad Sunday afternoon because there had been an accident on the main two lane road into Washougal as well as a 12 vehicle pileup on I-14 headed towards Portland. so it was a super bad mess. Traffic was being detoured to an alternate two lane road. My son and I and our buddies waited for 45 minutes to let traffic clear out but when it became apparent it was going to take hours to clear the parking lots, we decided to lane split out of the track parking area and down the centerline of the two lane exit road. I was kind of surprised to hear several "F*** You"'s

yelled at us by people in vehicles as we passed, altho all of them were yahoos in pickup trucks, probably drunk. I didn't expect that from people who were motorcycle fans, especially since we did not at all hinder their movement out of the racetrack. Probably just angry that they had been sitting in line with little movement for over an hour.

As an aside, when we got out to the two lane public road, there was a Washington Highway Patrol vehicle parked, watching the departing traffic. I wasn't sure what he might do if we started lane splitting down the centerline but when I stopped and looked at him, he motioned with his hand to continue lane splitting, which we did. Pretty cool.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California :agent:

I have heard a few people talk about some of their rules of engagement when lane splitting. Here are mine all in one place:

1) Traffic must not be travelling over 15-20 mph when I begin splitting

2) I never exceed the traffic's speed by more than 10-15

3) I watch cagers very closely and have become very good and anticipating their moves based on body language

4) I hang back if I know the driver has no clue that I am there. I wait for them to see me (FJR brights on) and if they do not, I honk before proceeding...this is only when traffic is moving...I don't do this if traffic is stationary.

5) Bike lanes are for bikes and medians are for debris, cops, ambulances, and the idiot cagers who pull left to see how lon the traffic jam is

6) some cagers take offense to your ability to go faster than them and will try to squeeze you, or make the space too small. Be patient, wait for the car next to them to make room for you one way or another and wave thanks to the nice guy.

7) Stopped traffic...watch out for vehicle turning left through stopped traffic. 10-15 mph rule allows for quick stops. I have been surprised by them and pedestrians walking through stopped traffic...go slow and be careful especially on surface streets.

8) Look for bikes behind you that are more aggressive...pull over for them and let them by. They tend to open space for you, and being crowded is the last thing you want.

Why are Honda CBRs always carrying the jerks that tend to crowd? Not all CBR riders do it, but I have seen at least 5 CBR riders crowd me, not thank me for getting out of their way and various other rude things...BASTARDS

;)

Did someone mention Washington having this on the docket?  Who do I need to pay off?  :D
Coublowjobgh!

Seriously, has the AMA been involved on this issue in your state?
AMA supports "safe lane splitting" however doesn't lobby, or fund legislation for it. In other words, they are impotent, but sound good.

I have never meet a class c driver that knew that lane splitting was legal in california, they thought only the chp could do it, hence the pissed off wheel drivers.

Why are Honda CBRs always carrying the jerks that tend to crowd? Not all CBR riders do it, but I have seen at least 5 CBR riders crowd me, not thank me for getting out of their way and various other rude things...BASTARDS ;)
Because they are usually young and impatient. :huh: