Late spring tune up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bungie

FrostBack #2 - IBA # 44620
Reaction score
So last year I rode nearly 50Km (about 30000 miles) - it was a great summer!

I had done a plugs/air filter tune up the previous spring. I dropped my bike off at my preferred dealer for storage and to have some work done over the winter. When I picked the bike up this spring one of the intakes some the valve check needed shimming, but the mechanic said the air filter and plugs looked good, results of the compression and leak down test were near perfect (I had my tick fixed the previous spring, I just wanted to verify the health of the engine).

I got to thinking that 50Km I should replace the plugs and filter just because they should be due, despite how they look. I had bought a used Morgan Carb-tune over the winter and thought it'd be a good time to familiar with that at the same time.

Plugs and filter went in and I hooked up the Carb-tune. Well that wasn't good, 1 through 4 formed a nifty slope. I commenced to adjusting them. Turns out most the air screws were only out about 1/4 turn. So I reset them all then backed them out 1 full turn as my starting point. A few minutes later after tweaking the idle speed and the air screws I had them all lined up nice and even. Somebody had given me an undertank heat fix kit at NAFO last year. A few minutes dinking with that and I buttoned up the top end.

I changed the oil and filter and the lube in the pumpkin.

After dinner I hopped on the bike and went for a scoot.

Oh my :D

Despite the plugs looking perfect and the air filter looking pretty good, those few changes and the TB Sync made a really noticable difference in the way the bike runs. The sweet spot that I had between 3500-4000 rpm is now a sweet spot between 3000-5000. Over 5000 the vibes come on strong though. So much so that seat tingles. Odd. Maybe I'll try re-torquing the engine mounts and the throttle plate adjustment.

Now, I'm gonna shovel in some breakfast and get out for the day. You gotta love it when they change the forecast overnight!

The 1/2 turn on the air screw was choking the motor.

This spring prior to my TBS 2 of the 4 TB were set at 1/2 turn out. I set them all 1 1/4 turns out then did the TBS , only minor adjusting to get things set. Huge improvement in performance just like you. :clapping:

Cap the PAIR system, re-do the TBS and it will be the last TBS you need to do until/unless a valve clearance requires adjustment.

Cap the PAIR system, re-do the TBS and it will be the last TBS you need to do until/unless a valve clearance requires adjustment.
But then what would scrape my knuckles to shit and back if I remove the pair and all it's attendant hoses and clips.

Little update. Nice day yesterday and I went for a ride up to Manitoulin Island. Normally I get about 325-350km on a tank with one bar remaining before reserve. After the tune up/sync I'm at 370Km and I still have 2 bars remaining. Gotta like that.

Oh ya, update part deux.

That vibration over 5000. Found it, checked the tire inflation before my ride up to Manitoulin. I had noticed the back was starting to show signs of cupping. Turns out, 15lbs of air. Doh. Inflated it back up to 41 and after a good inspection for nails etc hit the highway. Vibration greatly diminished, I'll keep an eye on it and hopefully it'll correct itself.

Have you checked your tire pressure today?