LD Record?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
On July 10, 2018, Matt Wise has a set a new record, riding his 2015 BMW R1200GSA a total of 45,425.5 (GPS) miles in 45 days!

While the ride is pending verification, IBA officials were aware of Matt's goals and was tracking it as it unflolded, so there should be no issues with verification.

Matt started planning this ride in March of 2016 at the IBA Pizza Party when we announced that Dave Zien had ridden his Harley-Davidson 31,000 miles in 31 days during our rider recognition segment at the party.

Matt's trip would be anchored around retracing Ron Ayres' 48 state route. He would fill in the other days by hitting the four corners of the US, doing the Lap of Florida and the Ride Around Texas as well as some local riding loops and day trips from his home. Matt even managed to take a quick time out and have dinner with the group of riders doing the cross-country George A. Wyman Memorial ride in Laramie Wyoming.

Matt's SPOTWALLA track is located at:

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=18f865b00c11a2cbc8&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

Some interesting statistics from the ride:

45 days (1074.5 hours start to finish)

45,425.5 miles

1,195 gallons of gas

23 hotel stays

4 rear tires

2 front tires

2 sets of brakes

3 oil changes

6 unpaid days off from work

Matt went on to say:

"It was the ride of a lifetime and over way to soon. Some days were better than others, but every day was better than being in the office."

I'm puzzled by the two sets of brakes. 62,000 miles on my FJR and there is still lots of pad left front and rear. Riding as he must of, not a lot Of stops, lots of slab, can't see how he used that much brake?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm puzzled by the two sets of brakes. 62,000 miles on my FJR and there is still lots of pad left front and rear. Riding as he must of, not a lot Of stops, lots of slab, can't see how he used that much brake?
Yeah, that seems well beyond the norm....oh,it's a BMW? He should have been on a FJR.
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The GSA has a rep for going thru rear brake pads quicker than expected. I had a bike on my lift this summer with 17,000 miles on it that had paper thin rear pads. Mine has 23,000 miles on it and the pads appear about half worn.

Im on several GS/GSA forums and have not heard about a failed final drive in years.