Leaky fork seal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had my leaky one fixed but had to pay for the other to be done. Since it was down, I had the other done and synthetic fluid replacement.

Just got the seal mates today and did the job. BTW, did you know that the shop manual says that if you remove the fork protector, you have to replace it with a new one!!?? :glare: Realized that I DID need two to do two forks. It is a really thin material and the force needed to spin the seal mate around the fork can twist it up pretty easy. Job was pretty straight forward, and it went just like in the video. Punped the forks up about 3 times and wasn't getting that oil line. We will see how long it lasts, but I am pretty confident I should be OK. You can cut the twisted up end off that used one, and trace the shape on the other end of the used one. I don't thinnk the exact shape is that critical, so now I have 3 seal maates. Thanks for leading me to this solution.

I just ordered 2. Going to try it on my Vmax. Hope it works.

GP
;)
I just discovered BOTH seals began to leak significantly within a matter of less than 50 miles of each other. I am out of attending NAFO if cannot figure a fix. I am going to try the sealmate approach using the 35 mm camera film cut to the same shape. No one locally has a set of seals so far.

Just a early update on my leaky seal. Have put about 300 mi on since I used the sealmates and the left seal that I did is still dry as a bone! One county road with a 30 mph limit thst I travel almost daily is very rough, so the forks get a lot of "exercise" on a daily basis. I don't know if 35mm film would be quite thick enough, but if you can get it in there and use the same motion without destroying the film, it would prolly be just as effective.

If you have a good dealer and more importantly Service Manager, then you might be successful. My local dealer wouldn't step up...

YMMV

--G
Mine did not think it would be covered so did not want to ask. I told them that they know me, know how careful I ride and how well I take care of the bike (er, pay them to take care of the bike). They then contacted Yamaha and it was covered under YES at about 12K/3 years.

If you have a good dealer and more importantly Service Manager, then you might be successful. My local dealer wouldn't step up...

YMMV

--G
Mine did not think it would be covered so did not want to ask. I told them that they know me, know how careful I ride and how well I take care of the bike (er, pay them to take care of the bike). They then contacted Yamaha and it was covered under YES at about 12K/3 years.
You only put on 12K miles in the first three years? FJR ABUSE!!!! ;)

+1. Been leaking for quite a while. Didn't notice it until my repairman quoted a quick 200.00 fork seal replacement. Order the sealmate and I don't see oil after my first few rides. So I'm loving it. I'll replace them next riding season ifi need to. Best 7.00 ever.

Btw, hardest part is flipping up the dust covers. Nobody really mentions how hard it is, just get a screw driver and know that the fork is tapered and groved. Look closely at the video circulating and you'll see it. You have to get the dust covers out of that grove.

I just had my right seal replaced under YES , but had the dealer go ahead and do the other as well as the bushings. Total cost was $115.00 Mine is an 08 with 40k miles. Bet your ass I'm gonna get a couple of seal mates to keep on hand for the future.

Must be a epidemic , mine started leaking and as the fluid has never been changed , I'll bite the bullet and do it right on both sides....I knew there was a reason most bikes had gaitors until they convinced us that cheaper is better..

Both of mine leak. I use the fork seal and they will be good for a few months then start leaking again.
Do you mean you used the Seal Mate, they were good for a few months, and the seals started leaking again?

If that is what you mean, then that is very similar to my experience. The seal mate technique would temporarily fix the problem, but after awhile the seal would start leaking again. Finally I just "bit the bullet", and serviced both tubes, replacing both seals (and dust covers), the bushings, and the fork oil (with Motul Synthetic Light 5w). 6 k miles later and still no leaks, plus the fork service greatly improved the handling, "tightening up" the suspension.

The problem with the seal mate "fix", in my experience, was that the seal would start leaking again, usually just before a planned long trip. I'd repeat the process, and hope the leak wouldn't start again. Sometimes it did work and sometimes it started leaking again. Kinda drove me nuts.

However, it is certainly worth a try, and can definitely work well for some folks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't quite figure out why the forks don't go dry with repeated use of seal mate type devices....Possibly this is why they quit leaking.........

Both of mine leak. I use the fork seal and they will be good for a few months then start leaking again.
Do you mean you used the Seal Mate, they were good for a few months, and the seals started leaking again?

Yes, thats what I meant. How many miles?Mine only has 16500 and Ive used the seal mate probably 4 times.

Yes, thats what I meant. How many miles?Mine only has 16500 and Ive used the seal mate probably 4 times.
My left seal started leaking at about 19k miles, I "limped along" with the seal mate "fix" for about 5k miles, then did the fork service described above.

I've had the same experience I used the seal mate technique a couple of times. Sooner or later you are going to have to rebuild the shocks. For me this was a great time in invest in an upgrade. So a rebuild and Race Tech at the same time.