LED brake lights, ABS, and visi-tec flasher

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

two-rocks

Reaction score
Loving the new to me '06! but.... wanted to make sure the brain dead drivers saw the tail lights better (already added LED headlights)...

I added LED brake bulbs (without a resister) - didn't work as the lights just went to full brightness and didn't recognize the brake pedal. Works fine with one regular bulb and one LED. Added resistors and the LED's work fine, BUT I didn't like the heat generated.

Next day, I get my Visi-tec flasher (Awesome!) and turns out I no longer needed the resistors. Brakes do as they are told.

Except.....

The gravel road test of the front ABS said otherwise. It was planned, about 30 mph. Front locked.

So the long way to my question - goes the ABS need to see the resistance of the filament bulbs to "know" it's time to go to work? (i.e. when the brakes are applied?).

Just checked the ABS pump with the jumper and the front and rear pump as they should.

Thanks. (tried searching, but ...)

The ABS does need the resistance to function properly. I have an AdMore light kit in my Givi top box, and I use the AdMore plug and play harness to integrate into the brake light system. The advantage to this is that there is are breakout wires to attach another light. I used this wire set to attach a resistor and I zip-tied that resistor to the frame (so the frame can act as a heat sink, if needed). This allowed my LED brake lights to work perfectly. I also added LED turn signals and replaced the flasher to get those working properly.

The ABS does need the resistance to function properly. I have an AdMore light kit in my Givi top box, and I use the AdMore plug and play harness to integrate into the brake light system. The advantage to this is that there is are breakout wires to attach another light. I used this wire set to attach a resistor and I zip-tied that resistor to the frame (so the frame can act as a heat sink, if needed). This allowed my LED brake lights to work perfectly. I also added LED turn signals and replaced the flasher to get those working properly.
Thank you! I'll add the resistor. I think the problem before was that I used two resistors - one on the stop signal wire and one on the brake wire. The stop is constantly energized and the resistor gets very hot. I'll just add the brake resistor and secure it to the frame.

NOTE: I'll add the resistor before the visi-tec flasher - so the ABS sees a constant resistance as the brake is applied.

The turn signals are next....

Last edited by a moderator: