LED Tailights in standard size?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khunajawdge

Toto El Mundo!
Reaction score
I'd like to drop some wattage.

I am looking for a source of LED equivalents of the standard single/dual filament 1176 or 1177 bulbs.

I found a few online but was wondering if anybody has a recommendation for a source?

How about diameter of the disc? There seems to be sizes available ranging from 1", 1.5", and 2"? Better/worse?

Also, is it better to buy the clear ones instead of the red ones, if they are going to be behind the tail light lens anyway?

Did the Datel on your bike hike a little, after you made the swap to the LED's? Mine says 14 (@ 4500) with the standard bulbs as running lights.

IMHO, it's not worth the trouble.

To get close to the same Lumens, you'd need a 1.5 watt LED bulb, most of which are relatively expensive, and won't fit. Saving 3.5 watts each each is not worth the PITA, unless you're absolutely starved for wattage.

On my last bike, a single-cylinder BMW, I changed out the tail light for a 3W Luxeon LED ("BA15 3-watt" on this page). I found it to be as effective as the stock incandescent 1157 and a LOT sturdier (a thumper will eat filament bulbs pretty quickly, especially if you go off-road).

Yeah, a decent LED is expensive, but in my opinion well worth it for the reliability.

I had no problem with fit on the F650, but you pulled the lens off to get to the socket - I haven't tried fitting one through the holes in the FJR's rear end. The business end was pretty comparable to the bulb diameter of the incandescent, but I don't know how tight the FJR's fit is.

If I come across some spare money, I'd replace all the standard incandescents in a heartbeat. The stock bulbs suck down 40+ watts total when the turn signals kick in, 60 if you've got the other brake light going, too. Idling, cold weather or if you're running a lot of electronics, that can make quite a difference.

Great article.

Yesterday I was pointed into the sun, rounding a corner which was in the shade of a mountain. The sun was directly in my eyes and vision was virtually nil looking into the shaded road. I saw a flashing red light in the midst of darkness. As I moved into the shade, sun was blocked and my vision returned (always a nice thing to have while riding) I saw a bicyclist with a small flashing red led on his helmet.

I was quite amazed at how that led burned through the brightness of the sun in my eyes.

There are a few modern cars with led tail lights that are actually a bit much. I've pulled in behind them at stoplights, while dark, and have to avert my eyes from the light. Almost like having brights in your face. It is very distracting and obnoxious.

On my last bike, a single-cylinder BMW, I changed out the tail light for a 3W Luxeon LED ("BA15 3-watt" on this page). I found it to be as effective as the stock incandescent 1157 and a LOT sturdier (a thumper will eat filament bulbs pretty quickly, especially if you go off-road).
Yeah, a decent LED is expensive, but in my opinion well worth it for the reliability.

I had no problem with fit on the F650, but you pulled the lens off to get to the socket - I haven't tried fitting one through the holes in the FJR's rear end. The business end was pretty comparable to the bulb diameter of the incandescent, but I don't know how tight the FJR's fit is.

If I come across some spare money, I'd replace all the standard incandescents in a heartbeat. The stock bulbs suck down 40+ watts total when the turn signals kick in, 60 if you've got the other brake light going, too. Idling, cold weather or if you're running a lot of electronics, that can make quite a difference.
Thank you Phil! That is the kind of user "experience" I appreciate & thanks for revealing your source!

My question "now" is;

When you replaced the stock 1157 in your thumper, was the bulb clear or red?

Andy, I have had similar experiences at night passing bicyclists who are using a flashing LED tail. They are BRIGHT!

Me Likes 'em!

It's Greek to me! :D

Thank you Phil! That is the kind of user "experience" I appreciate & thanks for revealing your source!

My question "now" is;

When you replaced the stock 1157 in your thumper, was the bulb clear or red?
Red. The red taillight lens is going to filter out all the non-red wavelengths anyway, so it makes more sense for the bulb itself to put out only the color that's actually going to make it through. No sense in producing the whole spectrum if 75% of it is going to be filtered out.

What I really liked about the LED was the "instant-on" - the immediate change to a fully-lit state is attention-grabbing, especially if you're tapping your brake a few times at the car coming up behind you at an intersection.

Superbrightleds.com used to have nice dimensional drawings of everything, but I can't seem to find them on the site now.

Placed an order for 6 - 1157 bulds today!
You might check that... on my '06, the tail lights are 1157, but the front turn signals are some T?? wedge-base annoying thing. Gen1 bikes may be different, but hopefully you checked first.

I am lightly irritated that Yamaha didn't put any information on what the replacement turn signal or headlight flavors were in the manual.

You might check that... on my '06, the tail lights are 1157, but the front turn signals are some T?? wedge-base annoying thing. Gen1 bikes may be different, but hopefully you checked first.
I am lightly irritated that Yamaha didn't put any information on what the replacement turn signal or headlight flavors were in the manual.
A couple of years ago, I changed the bulb holders in the turn signal positions in the rear tail, to dual filament 1157 holders. I gained a pair of "Amber" running lights in the rear which also act as standard turn signal blinker lights. This is one set of lights that is "NOT OEM" on my bike already. Now, I am planning to try a set of 1157 BA15 - 12 LED's in this position. I call these running/turn signal lights "Dual Purpose" lights. I am Not afraid of changing the side/front, running/turn signal bulb holders out as well. So, I figured I'd get 4 "Amber" - 1157 "Dual Purpose" bulbs for converting ALL of the turn signal/running incandecents into LEDS.

For the brake lights in the OEM housing, I ordered 2 - 1157 BA15 - 15 "Red" LED dual filament (equivalent to, but slightly bigger in size than OEM incandescent) bulbs, and if they don't fit through the holes of the the existing tail light housing, I'll just Dremel out a bigger set of holes until they fit.

Hey, it's an experiment and it only cost me $35 so far! Next month, I'll be hunting for a set of HID'S to change out the headlights!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey George--I ride a KLR now, as you may know, and may also know they're pretty short on electrical output. If you want to add much in the way of wattage, something's got to give. So the KLR forums, etc., are full of products like this one. It's just a complete switch-out for the standard 5 watt taillight bulb, but specifically fits the KLR. It's WAY brighter than the bulb, lasts forever, immune to vibration, and frees up at least an extra four watts. (Part of the cost relates to the built-in flashing feature when you apply the brakes--and of course they're much brighter then, too.) I already had a set of Hyper-Lites mounted that I cannibalized from my FJR, and if you've ridden behind me or anyone else with them, you know they're incredibly bright. MUCH brighter than the stock FJR taillight, both in "running" mode and when braking (and they also flash). I like having both. I want to be damn SURE they see me!

Another KLR rider posted a link to some detailed lighting he rigged using LEDs for both taillights and white running lights on the front. Here's the source for the LED clusters. I ordered a pair of their 48 LED clusters (then come in white, red, amber, and other colors too). The owner was really helpful and a good guy. I don't have them mounted yet, but I've tested them for brightness and they're super bright, and use less than TWO WATTS of power!

Hey George--I ride a KLR now, as you may know, and may also know they're pretty short on electrical output. If you want to add much in the way of wattage, something's got to give. So the KLR forums, etc., are full of products like this one.
Mike, thanks for sending this info. Me thinks I'll be looking for a KLR of my own before this year is up!

In looking at the website above, why does it say this (?);

"Note: this product is not DOT approved, for off road use only"

I didn't even think one needed a tail light, brake lights etc. for riding off road?

Semi-clueless in San Luis :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey George--I ride a KLR now, as you may know, and may also know they're pretty short on electrical output. If you want to add much in the way of wattage, something's got to give. So the KLR forums, etc., are full of products like this one.
Mike, thanks for sending this info. Me thinks I'll be looking for a KLR of my own before this year is up!

In looking at the website above, why does it say this (?);

"Note: this product is not DOT approved, for off road use only"

I didn't even think one needed a tail light, brake lights etc. for riding off road?

Semi-clueless in San Luis :unsure:
Should be read as "Not DOT approved (for street use). For off-road use only." This phrase exists on darn near every after-market lighting kit ever created, most after-market exhaust systems and is generally ignored by one and all.

IMHO, it's not worth the trouble.
To get close to the same Lumens, you'd need a 1.5 watt LED bulb, most of which are relatively expensive, and won't fit. Saving 3.5 watts each each is not worth the PITA, unless you're absolutely starved for wattage.
He needs to be looking at how bright the lamp is. That's measured in candella, or candlepower. Lumens is a measure of how much light is emited by the lamp, not how bright it is.

jim

I'd like to drop some wattage.
I am looking for a source of LED equivalents of the standard single/dual filament 1176 or 1177 bulbs.

I found a few online but was wondering if anybody has a recommendation for a source?

How about diameter of the disc? There seems to be sizes available ranging from 1", 1.5", and 2"? Better/worse?

Also, is it better to buy the clear ones instead of the red ones, if they are going to be behind the tail light lens anyway?

Did the Datel on your bike hike a little, after you made the swap to the LED's? Mine says 14 (@ 4500) with the standard bulbs as running lights.
The model number you listed doesn't match the spec for a Gen 1, according to the bin o' facts. I think they are 1156 and 1157

A good source many have used is Super Bright The link goes to their FAQ. You might encounter flasher problems or false bulb out warnings.

The site is good about indicating dimensions of the bulbs.

It is doubtful your Datel will indicate higher with LED bulbs. Where it will help is when there are additional loads from heated grips and/or clothing and every extra watt helps.

Honestly, I think your best return on investment would be the higher output replacement stator.

I used these in my '83 Goldwing and was happy overall. The multi led tail light bulbs (1157) and small marker lights worked fine. The 1156 running lights on the rear bar were 1/4" longer than stock and touched the red lense, but worked. It was important to note the size of the bulbs and measure the space in the light enclosure to gauge if they would fit.

and

If you're just wanting a drop-in replacement, I like the 5W bulbs from

this place:

superbrites led supplier

I put a couple of the 5W LEDs in a ST1100 and they worked pretty

well. Not as good as Clear Alternatives but it was the only option for

the ST.

superbright 5 watt led tail light bulbs

now, I'd be interested in getting the very superior mega led taillight bulbs replacement from clear alternatives manufactured in a group buy situation, like my Yahoo Vulcan 750 group did for our bikes. Very nice product. I can ask them how many they need to sell for this. I believe they were good to go for 25-50 committments from our group. I purchased one and it was very good and lowered the electrical load quite a bit - voltmeter didn't even change when engaging the brake after; changed .3 volts or more before for stock incandescent bulbs.

Vulcan 750 Tail-light replacement bulb with led circuit board I was involved in group buy

I'll contact them and see what they say and also create a thread to see what folks here think

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

I put in a set of red PILOT LED LI-1157 bulbs from Pep Boys and they are near-worthless.

li1157.jpg

They are so much worse than stock bulbs that I'm glad I have a separate set of running and brake lights on the back of my top case.

On my Bandit I went through this exercise and the only option I found where the LED's were brighter were if you went with a clear lense and then I bought some pretty heavy duty LED's. The end result was marginally brighter.

Like someone said, "not worth the trouble".