Left Side Heat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brazos parker

What??
Reaction score
I have a 3 month old 05 ABS and have experienced the left side heat first hand. Personally, I don't find it too bad in Joe Rocket Ballistic 4.0 pants, worse in Draggin' Jeans, even worse in mesh riding pants but am willing to tolerate it just to ride this great bike.

This weekend I took a 2 day trip w/ 8 other bikes (assorted brands). One guy was riding a Honda Gold Wing w/ all the farkles. I noticed his windshield vent and got to thinking abt a post I read on this site(or the other one) abt installing the Glod Wing windshield vent on an FJR. I never have seen the pics of this mod but got to thinking that if one was installed on the FJR upside down to direct some air down to the front of the tank, it might increase the air flow under the tank and help duct the heat away, eliminating the need to add insulation to the engine, which, IMHO, is not such a hot idea (no pun intended).

I think this mod would look like shitola on the FJR but wanted to get the thoughts of the techies on this site...actually, the thoughts of anyone would be appreciated.

Good idea? Bad idea? Opinions, please.

Another vote for Cromeit left side heat fix. I did it a couple weeks ago, now I may have do the right side fix. I didn't realize there was a right side heat problem until the left side was cured. Of course it's not nearly as bad. I think a good set of highway pegs would help tremendously.

I do think some air vented down in the tank area would be very beneficial, but I'm not sure how to do that.

I removed the 2 black rubber inserts below the tank, sitting on the bike look down and you'll see em, and it made alot of difference for me. I do still feel hot air at my waist but it moves and the tank is no longer a braille gas gauge via Los Cajones ! :D

BB

An improvement to the right side heat fix that worked for me is to remove the last 6 inches of Yamaha foam rubber at the bottom of the fairing and replace it with the larger foam used in Cormeit's fix. If your bike is fairly new, that foam may look good now, but in the near future, it'll be worthless.

My '01 Wing came sans screen vent. I put one in. Huge and I mean HUGE difference in air flow. I can only think that much like the chopped screens, that the vent in the Feej's screen would make a difference. I'm blank on the companies name right now, CalSci or sumpt'n, just came out with a chopped and vented (a couple of hole cut in at the bottom) screen,

the stock windscreen contributes a lot to the amount of heat felt. It's just too narrow and short and it creates a suction of the engine heat.

That said, I have a Cee Bailey +2+2 with flip and it is MUCH better with no "push" on the back at speed and raised.

I also took out the two black rubber inserts on either side of the tank, straight down of the gas cap on either side, and that makes a difference as it lets the heat vent and keeps the tank cooler.

I removed the black rubber widgets from under the tank and BAKED my thighs. :bigeyes: On two 200 mile rides, through my chaps. My core temperature must have been 130*. In the mountains, west of Denver, temps in the 80's.

I have a thermometer probe taped under my tank at the rear mounting bolt. Removing the inserts lowered my temp 5*. From 115* to 110*; three bars on the fuel gauge. 1/4" alum foil bubble wrap insulation under the tank.

FNG B)

Normally only a slight heat discomfort when riding in tempertures above 100 degrees. I removed the black rubber pieces from between the tank and the frame to see if would help when the temperture is above 100 degrees. Found this fix caused the heat on my legs to really increased. I had to really spread my legs to keep them way from the hot air flowing from the holes created by the removal of the black rubber pieces. I put the black rubber pieces back in place and again the heat is only a slight discomfort. This heat fix did not work for me.

OK. I guess my real question was this...If I installed a Gold Wing windshield vent on the FJR and aimed it down the front of the tank, do you guys think the air coming off the engine would make the air on the legs hotter because there's more of it or, would mixing w/ the ambient air make the air on your legs cooler? Or, would the effect be insignificant, in which case, this is just a dumb idea? Just looking for a couple of opinions on another possible heat fix.

I'm planning to get a new windshield (+4+2) this fall and install it for winter riding. I may have to try this vent thingy w/ the stock shield to see how it works...even though I think it would look like sheet on this bike.

Can someone expand on what the Cromeit fix is for left side heat? My 2005 is very warm in the area of the left shin. Thanks

Latest posts