Light weight dual sport ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riona

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a light weight bike ~ 350cc dual sport maybe ? ~ to stash in at my friend's cabin on Orcas Island in the San Juan group. The cabin is down a dirt track half way up a mountain, so a little off road capability is nice. The island is only 10 miles across so no need for anything big or powerful. Light and cheap and low maintenance is what I'm looking for, with the ability to get up the dirt road.

Suggestions ? Any leads for suitable bikes in or around Seattle ?

If you don't need the performance of the Wr250R, then take a look at the Honda CRF250L. It is a nice 250 at a very good price.

If you are going to leave the bike at the cabin and not ride it regularly, a fuel injected engine is a good idea. They are a lot more tolerant to aging fuel than an engine with a carburetor.

WR250R is overkill for what your going to do with it. Great bike though.

Either KLX250S or a CRF250L.

Sounds like an oversized minibike/scooter to me. Yamaha TW200, Inseam friendly, light(ish), cheap, simple, capable and street legal.

2015-tw200-01.jpg

If the CRF250L is overkill, Yamaha also sells the XT 250 which is very affordable ($5,200 retail), EFI, reliable as a rock.

Lots to choose from, you should be able to get exactly what you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to consider something a little different, this has been getting some awesome reviews, esp. for the price:
https://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/chinese-built-250cc-adventure-bike-coming-to-the-us/
That right there is VERY interesting!
I contacted them a while back...they told me if I wanted one, they would ship from california for $345.00, still pretty inexpensive at under $4K

Thanks guys ! Seat height is definately going to be an issue. I'm quite tall at 5' 7" but Stephanie is only 5' 2" ... She rides a lowered 2013 Triumph Bonneville (and I can barely tip-toe my FJR). 34 inch is way too much. 30 ? lower than 30 ?

Dirt bike is overkill -- we need something that will get up an unpaved road, not something that will go cross country ... Sport bikes with lots of breakable plastic and no ground clearance are out, but we don;t need the suspension travel on the tall dual sport.

What's the modern equivalent of a scrambler ?

That cute TW200 looks fun , as does that chinese adventure bike - more like those please !

Riona

How about Carver's FJR?
smile.png
Rumor has it is well seasoned on dirt roads.

On a more serious note the Honda is a good choice.

Honda had a 230 that might have a bit lower seat than the new 250.

Here's one I found near you. You might take a friend with you and check it out.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/4975678768.html

Kawasaki used to sell a 250 called a Super Sherpa. It had a pretty low seat too. Might be more difficult to find one tho.

Happy hunting!

:)

I wouldn't touch that chinese bike. The build things to look like the real deal but in reality chinese built stuff is junk.

How about a Wee strom? It'll handle a bit of dirt ok and much better on the street or even 2 up.

OR I'd look real hard at the TW200

I wouldn't touch that chinese bike. The build things to look like the real deal but in reality chinese built stuff is junk.
How about a Wee strom? It'll handle a bit of dirt ok and much better on the street or even 2 up.

OR I'd look real hard at the TW200
The bike concerned is new in the US, but actually has quite a long pedigree in the Far East and Europe. It is built in a modern factory and should prove quite capable.

nearly every piece of modern equipment we use is "Chinese junk", and we need to start evaluating things by their quality and value, not their origin.

At $3500 for all that equipment, it's well worth a second, and third look.