• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRay

Reaction score
I've got a buddy looking to light up his 2013 FJR  at night without incurring the national debt. He totaled his Harley hitting a dog in the dark. If you have something you don't need let me know

Too bad it ain't Friday.   :bye:

a2935878-bf5f-45f1-b1c5-338e608a2ab2_1.67850b8d25504d8eac00414b969e808b.jpeg

2 types of needs for light. SEEING and BEING SEEN. To be seen is easier because you can use cheap options mounted randomly and it all helps. To SEE you need strong lights to reach as far as possible. That strong light needs to be focused to help it reach farther down the road. The farther you can see, the longer you have to react to what you see. Low-mounts lose most available light into the road surface sooner than high mounted lights do. Lastly, we have binocular vision to triangulate objects as we approach them. High-and-wide mounts aid that binocular triangulation as far as possible.

If you want filler to see the edges of the road in areas where the brush encroaches on the road and the distances are shorter, you can address that, again with strong pencil beams and cross-aim them so the left beam points to the shoulder and the right beam (US right-sided-driving) is aimed down the road. It makes the pencil beam more adaptable than wide-beamed close-work choices.

So strong pencil beams, mounted as high and as wide as possible if you're wanting to SEE.

Clearwater hybrids are a awesome option, but they are not inexpensive.  Getting older and riding at night sucks so I wanted the road ahead to look like the sun was still out. 🤓

I have a set of Vision X Optimus 10* spot lights. They were mounted on the mirrors and lit up the road super well. They aren't cheap, but not expensive either. They are about $180-200 for the pair. You can also get filters to spread the beam on one of them to get both distance and peripheral lighting. 

Here they are dimmed to 10% during the day:

dJEf-2l5Yzk3NwF-Lno-8JpyjlQO0jyV4d29j2BDK7hdXT8Eq_I-LwrY1eZXKe8Hzr8UIyvnHi1OxG2UgEHvRD0sILnzwBuN2JDwN1e8f1KnLnrZttu19J5UJaNlqQK3WiK7gNyzjkE=w2400

A perfect example of the contrasting mounts on the lower, colored "BE SEEN" lights versus the higher, white "SEE" lights.

Amazon has zillions of choices and very cheap. I bought a set of day runners for $24. I didn't think Hardley riders drove at night.

It's almost Friday, Dave