Long Ride Comfort

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did 4+ hrs in the saddle a couple weeks ago, (My first "long" ride of the season) and had little discomfort. Near the end I was starting to get monkey butt.
heheh.. somebody needs to educate him on exactly what MonkeyButt is. It is not simply a sore ass - although it certianly is!
Yeah why don't you put up some graphics, demonstrate it to him...

[SIZE=8pt]I'll go get my barf bag[/SIZE]

:dribble:

270 miles in 6 hrs seems like a good tune up to see where you stand....err...sit. Every ass (and other body parts) are different and many Feejers change the seat, the windshield and add risers. Solutions vary wildly. On my '04, I couldn't master the Master Yoda. A cross country trip on the stock seat made me imagine what prison life may be like. The butt burn became progressive so each ride after about the 3rd day was worse.

My solutions: Chopped the stock seat and inserted aircraft foam. Clicky this

Covered with sheepskin from Sheepy Hollow. Clicky that Ass now happy. Added Rifle touring windshield. Added Lenkadapter risers. Arms, back and neck now happy. (For reference, I'm 5-10.) Position more upright now, seat more neutral.

Note: the cost and ugliness of my seat solution would be a good down payment on a custom seat. Also Sheepy Hollow stopped making fitted seat covers by model so not sure how the generic ones will fit. Your mileage WILL vary. Enjoy the process!

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone is different, of course, but I will STRONGLY suggest that you don't wear shorts/pants designed for bicycle riding. Either stick with your underarmor panties or the LD comfort stuff. I really think the LD comfort tights are the way to go. I don't like the shorts because then the back of the knee pads and some of the velcro in there that lets you remove the pads rubs against my bare knee and leg and it irritates me to no end. The tights resolve that. The problem with bicycle stuff is that there are seams in all the wrong places for someone sitting on a motorcycle seat. And the LD comfort stuff (and perhaps the underarmor) pulls the moisture away from your body alleviating the leading cause of monkey butt.

you can try a set of Chris Sakala's beads (beadrider.com). I like them better than airhawks and sheepskins, but again, everyone is different. But the real answer if you want to be comfortable on long days in the saddle is a custom seat. And in my opinion, Russell is the way to go. If you walk around the parking lot of an Iron Butt event, what do you see? Russell seats and LD Comfort. Why? Because it's what works. This is not to say that there are no other solutions, but this is what many many many endurance riders do!

Bar risers might help too. And I think someone mentioned back support 'belts'. I've seen folks wear a few different types of back support. I am very fortunate to not have that problem. I think I've seen them in some of the motorcycle catalogs, but don't recall which ones.

You need to be comfortable or you won't like the bike!

good luck! Gettysburg is a very nice place to spend an afternoon. There's a lot of ghost stories involving soldiers out of the campgrounds up there!

HK - I think that rubbing issue largely depends on your pants. I'm using the Airglide2 from Olympia and I have no problem with velcro at all.

I often wear gym shorts underneath when I am on the way to.... yes... the gym! No problemo.

The gel shorts I have have a large chamois with a wide butt area - so seams are not an issue. Everywhere you would contact the seat is covered by the gel chamois.

Anyhow, YMMV!

Am I just pushing it too much too early this spring and need to get in shape or what ? Maybe arching my back too much ?
Give your ass a chance to toughen up. I usually have a bit of burn setting in after about 300 miles in the spring. By Sept. its about double that. Practice the Master Yoda. Get yourself some seamless underwear.
My experience is that my ass don't toughen up. It just gets worse after the burn starts. If it burns after 3 hours straight in the saddle on the first day of riding season, it will still burn after 3 hours in the saddle on the last day of riding.

Yeah why don't you put up some graphics, demonstrate it to him...
Not me. Never had it. I think it was Bounce who had an interesting story about MonkeyButt.

God help all who enter here if they post pics.

Everyone is different, of course, but I will STRONGLY suggest that you don't wear shorts/pants designed for bicycle riding. Either stick with your underarmor panties or the LD comfort stuff. I really think the LD comfort tights are the way to go. I don't like the shorts because then the back of the knee pads and some of the velcro in there that lets you remove the pads rubs against my bare knee and leg and it irritates me to no end. The tights resolve that. The problem with bicycle stuff is that there are seams in all the wrong places for someone sitting on a motorcycle seat. And the LD comfort stuff (and perhaps the underarmor) pulls the moisture away from your body alleviating the leading cause of monkey butt.
you can try a set of Chris Sakala's beads (beadrider.com). I like them better than airhawks and sheepskins, but again, everyone is different. But the real answer if you want to be comfortable on long days in the saddle is a custom seat. And in my opinion, Russell is the way to go. If you walk around the parking lot of an Iron Butt event, what do you see? Russell seats and LD Comfort. Why? Because it's what works. This is not to say that there are no other solutions, but this is what many many many endurance riders do!

Bar risers might help too. And I think someone mentioned back support 'belts'. I've seen folks wear a few different types of back support. I am very fortunate to not have that problem. I think I've seen them in some of the motorcycle catalogs, but don't recall which ones.

You need to be comfortable or you won't like the bike!

good luck! Gettysburg is a very nice place to spend an afternoon. There's a lot of ghost stories involving soldiers out of the campgrounds up there!
I do have a seat bead that I bought for my 1999 Venture. I may take that next time and might even try riding with and without it between breaks. Really my rear was doing ok . I think the back pain was from over arching my back but will not know until I can get back out again.

Thanks again for thr tip

Scoop

I think the best thing for long distance comfort, especially consecutive days of riding is a good seat. I hated the stocker. It made me antsy after 200 miles. My Rick Meyers seat after about 1000 mile break in/ aquantance was (still is) butt nirvana.
I also learned on my cross country trip that those pricey LD comfort shorts are well worth the money.
+1 on all this: hating the stock seat, butt saved by Rick Mayer, and LD Comfort undies (though like Ms. Kitty, I prefer the tights to the shorts).

But that's butt stuff and you said a few posts later that it was really your back.

For me, riding back pain is pretty strongly correlated with how much time I spend working my abs. Those who have met me would likely say, "He works his abs?!?" Seriously, I'm not going to be asked to pose for muscle magazines, but even light abs work keeps the stress off the lower back.

You might also try the Back-A-Line thing that Patriot posted. I used to wear a Bohn back protector that provided the same kind of support and the difference was notable.

I think the best thing for long distance comfort, especially consecutive days of riding is a good seat. I hated the stocker. It made me antsy after 200 miles. My Rick Meyers seat after about 1000 mile break in/ aquantance was (still is) butt nirvana.
I also learned on my cross country trip that those pricey LD comfort shorts are well worth the money.
+1 on all this: hating the stock seat, butt saved by Rick Mayer, and LD Comfort undies (though like Ms. Kitty, I prefer the tights to the shorts).

But that's butt stuff and you said a few posts later that it was really your back.

For me, riding back pain is pretty strongly correlated with how much time I spend working my abs. Those who have met me would likely say, "He works his abs?!?" Seriously, I'm not going to be asked to pose for muscle magazines, but even light abs work keeps the stress off the lower back.

You might also try the Back-A-Line thing that Patriot posted. I used to wear a Bohn back protector that provided the same kind of support and the difference was notable.

Airhawk. Best ever.

Two things"

Squeezer is correct on the ab stuff, I forgot about that part. And like him, you wouldn't think I do much to look at me, but yoga and other stuff makes a HUGE difference because your abs support your back.

And the seat could be contributing in a way you don't realize. But maybe you should try a lil ab stuff. Even if you did 25 crunches each morning. And try the back support 'belt' see what that does for you.

This whole game is trial and error. Things that work for me, might not for you. And what works for you, might not for me. But crunches are free and I can't imagine those back support thingies cost a terrible lot of money. Try it and go for a ride longer than the point you started to feel uncomfortable and see if it worked!

good luck! The fun part is you get to go for lots of long rides as part of your experiment :D

Never liked the Back-a-Line belt, but I've been using an Ergodyne ProFlex support belt for years. It is elastic (unlike the Back-a-Line) and has a shaped foam pad the sits against your spine. The wide, elastic also supports your belly, too, just in case you need it. Like after eating a large bucket of fried clams with a chocolate shake for lunch, or so I'm told. It's mesh so it's not too hot to wear in summer. Like ear plugs it is part of regular gear.

For quick, if temporary, butt relief, stand up on the pegs for a minute or two. "Posting" gives the old glutes a chance to breathe and helps with cranky knees, too. Expect odd looks from motorists. :dntknw:

pete

I just want to add. The best farkle money I ever spent was on a Russell Day Long seat. Add Helibars and there is no reason to whine about long distance comfort on an FJR.

you can try a set of Chris Sakala's beads (beadrider.com). I like them better than airhawks and sheepskins, but again, everyone is different.
No budget for a custom seat yet; I got my beads in the mail from Bead Rider today. Love the feel; however, it's like sitting on a greased rail...my Stich suit slides like crazy on it. Did you do any roughing up to the beads or anything? Took the beads off about 1/4 thru the ride as it simply felt like I had less control.

Far more than an afternoon -- I've done two three-day trips, plus another half day. So much happened over those three days in 1863, and many of the guides are phenomenal. Or, even better, do homework before going.

If you haven't gone there, watch the movie "Gettysburg" before you go -- while it's fictionalized (and a version of The Killer Angels) and wasn't shot on sight for the most part, it does a great job introducing and gives you some real characters to relate to.

If you need some book titles, let me know.

you can try a set of Chris Sakala's beads (beadrider.com). I like them better than airhawks and sheepskins, but again, everyone is different.
No budget for a custom seat yet; I got my beads in the mail from Bead Rider today. Love the feel; however, it's like sitting on a greased rail...my Stich suit slides like crazy on it. Did you do any roughing up to the beads or anything? Took the beads off about 1/4 thru the ride as it simply felt like I had less control.
I have heard other people say that... I've never had that problem though... Not sure what other's have done. I can envision the problem, but for whatever reason, it doesn't happen to me! Did you get the ceramic beads? Or the old skool ones? See if Chris's website has a way to submit a question, make sure you say which kind of beads you got.

If that doesn't work, shoot me a PM in case I don't check here again and I'll go kick his ass. Er, I mean, I'll ask him what the solution is for this problem and let you know. He lives nearby and I don't mind asking for you.

Just my thoughts sense we're the same height. What has worked for me at first was the rifle screen mine is 4x3 It stoppes the wind very well but I've noticed the back presure can be increased or decreased in relationship to the screens position and its the firrst windshield I've ever owned that gets bugs on the back side . The next major inprovement was motorcycle larrys top yoke the added position of the grips being out 10 degrees foward plus the height increase is perfect for me,stopped my wrist and fingers from going tingling. I ran with the sheep skin for two years and still use it on hot days but the bike shorts of nylon are nice too. I ride with the seat all thw way down and never got a sore butt at least I didnt think I did then a got the corbin seat, I got it becouse you keep the stock seat and my brother put one on his gl1800, and both of his sv650's they are nice, plus I'am now fully flat footed at a stop. I love this bike it is a great ride. Just got done putting a rosta cruise on it ( don't need another ticket) and the wife gave me a v46 trunk that I'am real happy with anyway you have to set it up to fit you so what work for some doesn't work for others. This form was a god send for info for me when I first got the bike but I'am not very computer active so all I ever did was read and never wented to post my thoughts or results of the farkels added to miss blue.

I have heard other people say that... I've never had that problem though... Not sure what other's have done. I can envision the problem, but for whatever reason, it doesn't happen to me! Did you get the ceramic beads? Or the old skool ones? See if Chris's website has a way to submit a question, make sure you say which kind of beads you got.

If that doesn't work, shoot me a PM in case I don't check here again and I'll go kick his ass. Er, I mean, I'll ask him what the solution is for this problem and let you know. He lives nearby and I don't mind asking for you.
I got the wooden ones. I knew they'd be slippery, but I had no idea they'd be THAT slippery, lol. I'm sure they're fine with jeans and stuff, but I go ATGATT. I'm going to try and get used to them I suppose.

I got the wooden ones. I knew they'd be slippery, but I had no idea they'd be THAT slippery, lol. I'm sure they're fine with jeans and stuff, but I go ATGATT. I'm going to try and get used to them I suppose.
Have yet to try my wooden beads but will this weekend as it's going to warm up nicely (78). Never though about slippen around but will try them with my First Gear Overpants on and see. Thanks for your thoughts on this.

I am pumped on this trip to Gettysburg and then south on the Parkway. Going solo so I only have me to please timing wise :)

Scooper

I've used the beaded seat cover on many 'long' rides (500-800 mi days) and thought they were a great cooling effect. I agree they feel taller and slipperier so I remove them for short rides and on twisties.

The beads are slippery when new, but as they get rolled against each other many times, the shiny coating wears off and they get a dull finish that is not slippery at all. They need to be exposed to rain, sun and many many fun miles.