Looking at a 98 GSX-R 750

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kolonial72

Reaction score
Hi, I'm asking for opinions on this bike:

98 GSX-R

I've never ridden one, but I'ma throw a leg over it on Wednesday. I've read a bit about some early problems with fuel injection on these bikes. I didn't find much info on problems, which makes me think it wasn't a big deal. I read a few reviews written between 01 and 07 on the 98 GSX-R 750, and they all seemed very favorable. Of course you can't believe everything you read on the interweb, so I figured I'd ask you forum folks.

Also, I'm thinkin $4k might be too much unless this thing is pretty much pristine, which the guy already says it is not. Thoughts/comments/questions?

Too much $ IMO. What are you looking for? Street bike? Track bike? Do you want a 750 or you just liked this one?

98 GSX-R

I've never ridden one, but I'ma throw a leg over it on Wednesday. I've read a bit about some early problems with fuel injection on these bikes. I didn't find much info on problems, which makes me think it wasn't a big deal. I read a few reviews written between 01 and 07 on the 98 GSX-R 750, and they all seemed very favorable. Of course you can't believe everything you read on the interweb, so I figured I'd ask you forum folks.

Also, I'm thinkin $4k might be too much unless this thing is pretty much pristine, which the guy already says it is not. Thoughts/comments/questions?

98 GSX-R

Too much $. I've seen newer GSXR750's for sale at dealers for right around that price...

Is there something particular you're looking for in the bike? I mean, is your heard set on a GSXR750, or GSXR in general?

I believe that the fuel injection issues weren't necessarily a 'problem' as in broken stuff, more that the early fuel injection wasn't as smooth and 'user friendly' as the carbs had been. Particularly the on-off throttle transitions can be more abrupt. It took the manufacturers a few years to get the computer bits all sorted out to produce a bike as 'friendly' as, say, the FJR...

Thanks for the words so far, fellas. I found suggested prices from KBB and NADA. The KBB prices are typically higher than NADA and represent as it states a starting point for negotiations with a dealer. The NADA average retail value sounds more like it because the bike is nice but not perfect. Maybe if this gentleman wants to talk about the price a bit I will pursue it.

Any other smart guys wanna chime in?

Thanks for the words so far, fellas. I found suggested prices from KBB ...Maybe if this gentleman wants to talk about the price a bit I will pursue it.

Any other smart guys wanna chime in?
Well, the bike looks nice in the picture. I don't see a problem with the price. Is 'price' your only concern?

I'm kind'a with 'Randy' on this -- why do you want this bike? Are you going to race it?

These bikes, GSXRs in general, are great, extremely fast, motorcycles. They are, after all, 'race replicas' -- and GSXRs won alot of races. This particular edition has a torque peak around 10K rpm and will want to go (at least) 100 mph ALL THE TIME.

Are you ready for that?

Admittedly, I'm a certifiable 'olde-phart' -- but I once owned a Kawi Ninja 750 (a model that Kawi wanted to really be a race-rep); well, I had to sell it to keep my drivers lic./maintain my sanity/be accepted in the community/etc,etc.

Be forewarned... :blink: :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO I'm with the others, $4k for that kind of bike that's 11 years old with 37k on the clock is too much.

But you already know that. :)

Dan,

My suggestion would be to stick with the FJR. Once you have more experience riding it, you will be able to keep up when riding with us. :yahoo:

Sorry mate, couldn't resist...

Dan,
My suggestion would be to stick with the FJR. Once you have more experience riding it, you will be able to keep up when riding with us. :yahoo:

Sorry mate, couldn't resist...
Oh, that was low. As I recall, you were the one causing me to tail-brake through turns with your slick "look-at-me-I'm-riding-an-AE-so-you-can't-see-me-downshift" routine. Don't you Irish types have some green beer to drink??

:evilsmiley02:

How are ya doing,

I have a 2000 Y model GSXR 750. Its really a K 'Zero' . . . . . its the first of the new shape Gixxers. It is FI model and i've had it tekka tuned.

I really like the machine. It is totally different to my FJR, the FJR is a great bike. I've toured Europe on it and am going again this summer . . . . . the FJR is easier to go quick on due to all that Torque.

My problem with the FJR was the poor ground clearance, on a good twisty road the pegs are constantly grinding out and the bike can be hard to turn in quickly due to its size/ weight/ geometry.

The Gixxer on the other hand loves the tight twisty roads and is razor sharp. Ground clearance is never an issue and it gives so much confidence.

I love both bikes . . . . . they are totally different but both brilliant.

Cant offer any advice on the price, am not aware of any FI problems . . . . . one in good condition will be a great bike.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the "whale tail" GSX-Rs. The 750s had the best suspension and best engine of all the sport bikes at the time. Also, IMO this era was the last of the good looking sport bikes, the YZF-750 (good luck finding a nice one of those for $4k) and ZX-7R (good luck finding a nice one at all) were all just drop-dead gorgeous. It looks nice and I wouldn't fault you for paying that much if you're really wanting it, but I think you would be able to get it for less. If you're just wanting a sport bike, you can do better (newer, anyway) for $4k. If you're wanting a track bike, go to the WERA forum and get something that's already been track prepped for half the money. :) Keep in mind, though, that if the bike has good/new wear items (wheel bearings, fork bushings, head bearings, etc) this is one of the best handling bikes ever, and I think it'd stand up to any stock suspended modern bike from the big 4.

On the off chance that anyone still cares about this post - and yes, I realize I'm making the assumption that someone really gave a $4!& in the first place - I've decided against the gixxer for now. But man they are pretty.... Maybe when I'm old enough for a 'wing!

<snip>- I've decided against the gixxer for now. But man they are pretty.... Maybe when I'm old enough for a 'wing!
I support your decision. I don't know your age -- but, a modern sport-bike can tell you more about the essence of motorcycling than a 'wing' (IMO).

Modern sport-bikes are the distillation of about 100 years of motorcycle engineering and (some) are almost beyond the abilities of mere mortals. If you've sensed the desire, I encourage you to follow-up -- but, carefully/gradually. A Ninja 500 is a really good and easily accessible sport-bike -- and, if ridden in the way for which it (all/most sport-bikes) was designed (at or near full throttle and lots of revs) it can be very satisfying on that remote 'racer-road'.

Modern sport-bikes (any of 'em) are the "ne plus ultra" of motorcyling -- not to be missed (IMO).

Personally, I'm a big fan of the "whale tail" GSX-Rs. The 750s had the best suspension and best engine of all the sport bikes at the time. Also, IMO this era was the last of the good looking sport bikes, the YZF-750 (good luck finding a nice one of those for $4k) and ZX-7R (good luck finding a nice one at all) were all just drop-dead gorgeous. It looks nice and I wouldn't fault you for paying that much if you're really wanting it, but I think you would be able to get it for less. If you're just wanting a sport bike, you can do better (newer, anyway) for $4k. If you're wanting a track bike, go to the WERA forum and get something that's already been track prepped for half the money. :) Keep in mind, though, that if the bike has good/new wear items (wheel bearings, fork bushings, head bearings, etc) this is one of the best handling bikes ever, and I think it'd stand up to any stock suspended modern bike from the big 4.
Fairly off topic, there are a pair of ZX-7R's at the local dealer...One silver, one yellow. Both looked to be in good shape, one for sure had an aftermarket Muzzy pipe, didn't look too close at the pipe on the other one...