Looking for input on a Balaclava

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyway

Reaction score
I've never used one in the past, but something tells me that this winter is going to be colder than normal. :cold:

I enjoy riding year round, except days when black ice is a threat in the shadows of corners.

All day comfort is my priority and obviously the product has to aid in keeping in some warmth. :ninja:

I've never used one in the past, but something tells me that this winter is going to be colder than normal. :cold:
I enjoy riding year round, except days when black ice is a threat in the shadows of corners.

All day comfort is my priority and obviously the product has to aid in keeping in some warmth. :ninja:
Here ya go: Balaclava-R-Us

For you there in California, the CoolMax Balaclava is probably your best bet.... if you're going to do some serious cold weather for extended periods, consider the SCHAMPA - Fleece Balaclava

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with you on year-round riding. I've used a coolmax skull cap once or twice and found it made my helmet too tight. My old flight skull cap was likewise too bulky. I'd suggest looking for a silk balaclava - and in fact I will!

EDIT - that didn't take long did it!? ...and nice facemask!!!!!!!

I have one that I got from Aerostich but very seldom use it unless it is bitterly cold. The full face seems to keep my head warm enough and I do get some heat coming up into the helmet off the heated jacket. Its kind of like ear plugs....something I always carry with me and seldom use...

Using a little cross training here.....I use a balaclava while snowmobiling all the time. Finding one that offers some protection, wicking, comfort and sufficient length to tuck into a jacket without pulling out each time you turn your head can be a problem. Makes most people think balaclava's just don't work well....

This one works excellently on the sled in some very cold weather.

https://www.ski-doo.com/en-US/Snowmobiles/R...;currentIndex=0

I don't think you will find that the thick, fleece style balaclava's will work for you unless you upsize your helmet and such. You are mainly looking for the balaclava to add a tiny bit of thickness and insulation and mainly provide a somewhat windproof layer to seal up the gaps between your jacket and the helmet without trapping too much moisture from breathing and sweating. The one pictured works well for me. I have quite a few others that don't work.....LOL.

Here is another one that works well. Bit more wind protection with the GoreTex layer but not quite as stretchy and compliant. I carry this one for very cold weather for added wind protection if needed.

https://www.klimusa.com/products.php

Look in the products column on the left and scroll to balaclava.

A lot of us that ride snowmobiles use them in the winter and love them. I don't think you can go wrong.

Tom

Check out aerostich.....they seem to be the only place you can still by a real silk balaclava.....

I've got one that I love!

I use it mainly to keep the cold wind blast off my neck/chin area. Doesn't really add much warmth. Downside is it makes my windsheild fog like crazy!

Its kind of like ear plugs....something I always carry with me and seldom use...
[SIZE=12pt]What? Speak up![/SIZE]

As for baclava, I like `em made with fresh toasted almonds and wildflower honey...

I agree with the posts already made, especially Jestal's remark that you may need to upsize your helmet if you use a thick balaclava. The one point I would add that I haven't seen mentioned is look for small/thin seams. I have one balaclava with large seams and I don't use it anymore because the seams give me hotspots once the helmet is on.

The Aerostitch silk model does look nice (I haven't tried one yet).

I use one for cold wheather rides and night riding. It works great. Only thing to get used to is not breaathing heavy at stoplights and fogging up the face shield. I've never had it blow out of my jacket collar. There is some restriction when you turn your head to check for traffic. The one I have has a thicker portion of material in the neck region, in order to block out the wind. I like that feature.

recon1.jpg

I have a few of these for at work and play. Very handy. Recon Wrap

They are thin, you won't have to upsize your helmet, and they come in different colors.

If you are going into really cold, then as previously stated, fleece or what have you and upsized helmet.

You can Google "Recon Wrap" for various sites to buy, or if you have an American GI friend, you can get one cheaper.

Skyway:

Take a look at this link: https://www.buffusa.com/

These are very thin and work well inside of my full face helmet. There are no seams to create pressure points. I think I read about them originally in Motorcyclist magazine. They help me ride comfortably down into the mid teens during the winter.

Dave

I never liked having to breathe through a cloth of any sort. And I am uncomfortable with a turtle neck or other style that is tight on my neck.

For cold weather riding a wear a heavy hoodie sweatshirt under my Kili jacket. I put the hood up before putting the jacket on, then slip if off before putting on my helmet. The hood bunches up on the back of my neck and keeps the cold out from between the jacket and helmet.

I use this here in the Utah cold.

Turtle Fur

Thick fleece on the neck thin in the helmet.

I love it, pretty rich though. Jerusalum has some of the best, long ride, wear something warm.

tn_baclava1.jpg

This one is pretty popular up north...

hat-af-wolf-all3-01.jpg

Seriously... I have the one with the thin material for the skull area and fleece below.