Looking To Buy A 2002 R6

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrchooser

Reaction score
I've got the hots for a certain 2002 YZF-R6 I ran into accidently at the dealers. Bike is beautiful, has aftermaket Yoshimura can, polished rims, Power Commander etc. looks better than new.

Dealer asked the outrageous ( to me, as an 05 isn't far off that) price of $7598, I told him to stuff it. They then asked what it would take for them to send me on my way with it. Since I was there for my grandson I told them I'd get back to them.

I've been wanting one of these for quite some time to complement the FJR but always thought it would be a new Raven Black one.

I can't get this beauty off my mind though. If I could pick it up for $5-6 K should I ?

If so, what should I watch out for, anyone familar with any problems specific to this bike/model year etc ?

From Cycletrader (no affiliation, etc)- in Bedford, IN

https://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/1/7/80733917.htm

2002 YAMAHA R6, 2002 Yamaha YZF 600 R6..Blue and White in color!! Micron high mount pipe! Mirored windscreen!! Good Tires!! VERY SHARP CLEAN BIKE!! Runs and rides GREAT! No Damage what so ever!! None Nicer!! Priced to sell at $4,695..obo..title in hand! Email or call 812-583-3400 for more pics and info..

There are a number of other 2001-2003 R-6's from $3700-5700 listed on Cycletrader, so that price sounds high.

Thanks BigAl,

I checked Cycletrader and Kelly BlueBook for both trade in and resale prices by dealers and 3700 was avg. trade in value allowed and 5 or so their resale price.Private owners are usually somewhere in between.

I figure 5k tops if the dealer really wants to sell this one to me and provides any kind of warranty, 30-90 days etc. otherwise something a bit less than 5.

It seems to have been babied from the appearance standpoint, red and white with polished rims, heavily farkled, extremely clean.

I knew they were blowing smoke at $7598 and it pissed me off that they even tried. They don't know me since it was my first trip to their dealership so I can't take it too personal but now see how they are...

Mostly I'm wondering if I should avoid the 2002's for any particular reason, go either newer or older, etc. I want this for work commute, around town fun etc. Doubt I'll see a track day with it other than once or twice while I own it anyway.

Anyone have any advice, warnings,comments? I figured I'd get plenty if I was to come on here later mentioning a trans issue or something, everyone saying yeah 02's are known for this or that.

I'd like that kind of info up front if possible ! Anyone recommend a source I could access that has this kind of info ? I've seen similar articles in the back of Sport Bike and Motorcyclist but have nothing in my current collection for the 2002 R6.

And the 99 to 03's a trans problem with 2nd gear at around 9-20k miles. Guess I'll pass and Yamaha not stepping up for the fix..sigh.

That tranny problem also occured with some of the R-1s from the same years. Mine ate the tranny at 19k. But I also believe that power wheelies run at highway speeds were my problem. Local shop told me that when you wheelie the R-1 the oil falls to the back of the tranny and the gears run dry. Seems the newer tranny has some baffles to prevent that.

Also be wary shopping used like that. Especially the 600's. Usually they have been ridden very hard by someone younger. Of course it is rare to find a little old lady selling a sportbike. :p

Keep looking! And good luck to you in your search!

Also be wary shopping used like that. Especially the 600's. Usually they have been ridden very hard by someone younger. Of course it is rare to find a little old lady selling a sportbike.
That would be my fear. Most of these get wailed on beyond belief, then dumped for the next one. The owner of this one may not have wanted to deal with the new owner when a rod made a new breather opening for the purchaser. These are probably one of the hairiest purchases for a buyer. Enough money to put a dent in that wallet so that any repairs could be a killer, and an unknown history make it a no brainer for me. New, or old/cheap enough that it would be affordable to go through it is the only way I would/could do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good points all, thanks for your inputs and BigAl especially for link that clinched it for me.

My problem is I expect everyone to treat machinery that way I treat mine. Usually I can tell by the condition of hard to access areas, attention to the details often over looked by the young 'uns. In this case I fear the trans will time out soon no matter how decent the owner was to it.

Problem with the 99-03's tranny was the 2 or 3 dog gearsets not having the strength to stand up to of the rest of the bikes potential and intended use. 04's forward have the 5 dog gearsets without any issues even on the higher mileage hard run bikes so far.

Guess now I wait a bit for the 04-05's to become a little more used and see if I can't get Rad's price point formula to work a little more in my favor.

I would go with a 2003. By ALL accounts, the best fuel injection mapping of any sportbike. Plus if you want a new bike, Yamaha is bringing out the R6S for 2006 which is a 2003 R6 and will eventually replace the YZF600R.

G