Looks like the '06+ VStream is finally available

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a call today from National Cycle.

Says windshields are made and will be shipped tomorrow.

(I think I've become a windshield junkie.)

Bill

I just got this e-mail, looks like two more weeks! ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to drop a quick note to all of you who were interested in the National Cycle VStream windshield for the 2006-07 FJR1300. These shields will be in stock and on our shelves tomorrow. You may order one by calling us at 877-WSCREEN or order online at the link below.

https://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/n...ch_model=ym-076

Thank you,

John Powers

Product Line Manager - National Cycle

[email protected]

708-343-0400 ext. 115

Last edited by a moderator:
I got sick of waiting and finally ordered the Calsci last week. An extra tall as I am 6'5". Does anyone currently ride an 06 with an extra tall shield? What are your thoughts? I need to call Mike and cancel the Vstream as I have been on the list since last summer!
I'm 6'1" but have a long torso. I got the CalSci XL on my 07 and it works pretty good about 3/4 of the way up. It is calm enough to wear a baseball cap bill forward and not have it blow off. Not bad, but still more turbulance than I was expecting.

I have two complaints about the shield. First is the finish. The edge is pretty rough and the lines of the shield are not real smooth. There was a little difficulty getting the holes to line up and getting the shield mounted properly. I called Mark and he said he had done some repairs on the laser and the shields should be better now.(alot of good that does me)

The second complaint I have is the noise caused by the vent. There is a high pitched whistle coming from the vent when the shield is more than half way up. Along with the whistle, there is general wind noise and a pretty good blast of air that hits about mid-torso. I put some tape over the vent and it makes things much better. I read somewhere that you can request the shield without the vent. I have e-mailed Mark to ask if it is possible to do an exchange for a ventless shield, but haven't heard back.

I submitted the order for mine a couple of weeks ago and just received an update last week that they would receive their shipment on March 21st and it should be shipped shortly thereafter.

I submitted the order for mine a couple of weeks ago and just received an update last week that they would receive their shipment on March 21st and it should be shipped shortly thereafter.

I got a call today saying it was being shipped tomorrow and should have it by the middle of next week. Guess I'll just keep holding my breath a bit longer!!! Will give an update as soon as I can get it mounted and on the road for testing.

Bogey

I have the CaliSci windshield and I agree with all the comments that FIT-N-FINISH should could be a lot better for $200 (my shield looks "chipped" in several placed along the edges but it isn't - it has been this way since I received it).

One advantage though that I REALLY like with the CalSci windshield though is that I can clean it with ammonia based glass cleaners (really removes the bugs which we have a lot of down here in Texas)!

Best Regards,

Shane

They called me yesterday and left me a message that it would be shipping today. Looking foward to installing it when I get back to CO in early April

The VStream is the one I originially wanted to get, but I bought the CalSci tall late last year when I couldn't wait any longer (I needed better protection for the Winter). At least they had the decency to wait to bring the new VStream out until way after I got mine. Had they gotten theirs out a week after I got the CalSci I would've been PO'd.
I emailed Mike at UMotors and asked if the 2006/7 VStream was finally available and he replied

"The V-stream $126.00 They are on their way here"

I also asked about the newly available (US at least) Yamaha touring windshield and Mike said

"Yamaha windshield $84.72 and is available"

I decided to order the Yamaha touring shield (yes, I am cheap!) and should have it next Friday.

I will post my opinion after I install it and put on a few miles behind it

The VStream is the one I originially wanted to get, but I bought the CalSci tall late last year when I couldn't wait any longer (I needed better protection for the Winter). At least they had the decency to wait to bring the new VStream out until way after I got mine. Had they gotten theirs out a week after I got the CalSci I would've been PO'd.
I emailed Mike at UMotors and asked if the 2006/7 VStream was finally available and he replied

"The V-stream $126.00 They are on their way here"

I also asked about the newly available (US at least) Yamaha touring windshield and Mike said

"Yamaha windshield $84.72 and is available"

I decided to order the Yamaha touring shield (yes, I am cheap!) and should have it next Friday.

I will post my opinion after I install it and put on a few miles behind it
Like many others I tried to order the V-Stream for my '06 last summer because I liked the looks on an '05.... curious now about the Yamaha touring shield. Looking forward to peeps impressions and TIA to those that take the time posting their impressions. Not sure which I will order, but I don't want a "barn-door" look and it appears from pictures either the V-Stream or Yammie large look better than the Cal-Sci (IMHO).

Arrived today 1 of the first run (stamped March 21, 2007).

Original Windshield

Lowered: wind hits below my collar bone

Raised: height is @ my chinbar on my helmet and turbulent wind hits the top of my helmet (great for air in top vent of my HJC Sy-max)

VStream for 06

Windshield is 19 7/8" inches from the center top of outer cover to top of windshield

Lowered: height is @ my chinbar on my helmet and turbulent wind hits the top of my helmet (great for air in top vent of my HJC Sy-max)

Raised: NO WIND/TURBULENCE - can hear the engine and my intercom system - like I was parked!!!!!

With it raised, it is almost eary to only hear those 2 things going 90 mph down the highway with traffic - so I rode the rest of the time with it 1/2 way up.

NOTES:

Only noticed the top of the windshield twisting in the wind when it was lowered and I was @ high speed. (Found out when changing that the bike shop shorted me 2 nylon screws of 7, so that might be the cause).

Holes that catch the top cover line up OK on left side, but right side missed and can pull top away from windshield (but did not notice it move while riding).

Tall size took a while to get used to, but perfectly matches the FJR look (wife agreed).

Good craftsmanship on the edge of windshield

VStream logo in lower middle of windshield is "cool" according to my wife.

EXCELLENT WINDSHIELD!!!!!

I have pictures of it 1) on my bike 2) with original on top of VStream to see difference and 3) of VStream logo - but don't know how to post. Please help.

I'm reading this with interest now that it looks like the darn thing is finally available. Would love to see some recent pics from someone if possible...thanks in advance.

Original Windshield

Raised: height is @ my chinbar on my helmet and turbulent wind hits the top of my helmet (great for air in top vent of my HJC Sy-max)

VStream for 06

Windshield is 19 7/8" inches from the center top of outer cover to top of windshield

Lowered: height is @ my chinbar on my helmet and turbulent wind hits the top of my helmet (great for air in top vent of my HJC Sy-max)

Raised: NO WIND/TURBULENCE - can hear the engine and my intercom system - like I was parked!!!!!

With it raised, it is almost eary to only hear those 2 things going 90 mph down the highway with traffic - so I rode the rest of the time with it 1/2 way up.

NOTES:

Only noticed the top of the windshield twisting in the wind when it was lowered and I was @ high speed. (Found out when changing that the bike shop shorted me 2 nylon screws of 7, so that might be the cause).

Holes that catch the top cover line up OK on left side, but right side missed and can pull top away from windshield (but did not notice it move while riding).

Tall size took a while to get used to, but perfectly matches the FJR look (wife agreed).

I have pictures of it 1) on my bike 2) with original on top of VStream to see difference and 3) of VStream logo - but don't know how to post. Please help.
what was it like third up-half up-three quarters up-your impression of the stock windshield is the same as mine as far as air flow

Original Windshield

VStream for 06

NOTES:

what was it like third up-half up-three quarters up-your impression of the stock windshield is the same as mine as far as air flow
also do you look through the screen at any height

Just placed an order from Mike at University Motors. Good service, great price :)

Additional Notes:

I look through the windshield @ full height b/c it is almost straight up.

19 7/8" is height from center of V to top of windshield.

I will ride again with positions 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 up and give feedback. The second day on highway to and from work I rode with it about 3/4 up or down. Down is like stock windshield all the way up (in terms of where the air hits) but more is put to the side so there is less turbulence than stock.

I've got pix (THX DISHER). https://picasaweb.google.com/dwpurser/VStreamForFJR06

Additional Notes:
I look through the windshield @ full height b/c it is almost straight up.

19 7/8" is height from center of V to top of windshield.

I will ride again with positions 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 up and give feedback. The second day on highway to and from work I rode with it about 3/4 up or down. Down is like stock windshield all the way up (in terms of where the air hits) but more is put to the side so there is less turbulence than stock.

Will post pix but don't have HTTP place to post. If you do, email me @ [email protected] and I will send to you to post.

I got mine yesterday and have it mounted but it won't be until Friday before I can actually do a full test ride. Overall, it doesn't look like a barn door attached to the bike - fairly good styling. When screen is full up you do look through it. I'm 5' 10" and 32" inseam. Fortunately, I did have all 7 srews for my windshield!!

Will give another point of view by this weekend. Until then, ride safe!

Bogey