Looky what I just bought (Pic's Inside)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacofdfireman

Reaction score
Well I am the proud new owner of a new to me 08 FJR 1300AE. I bought a new 07 AE 5 years ago and decided I was an incredible ADVRider so sold it and bought a BMW GSA. Well here I am years later buying another FJR after realizing I am not the bad ass ADVRider that I thought I was. I had decided I wanted another ST bike and had it narrowed down to another FJR, a BMW R1200 RT or a Connie C14. Rode them all and decided the FJR was gonna be what showed up in my garage again. Last one I owned I didn't do much as far as aftermarket stuff. This one will get the royal treatment. First off being 6'4 250lbs I need to mod it up to fit me. Handlebar risers are already on thanks to MCL. Next I need to find out who makes the best footpeg lowering kit. If anyone has one they wanna sell PM me. Bike came with a Sargent seat that I will try for awhile and if it doesn't work I will sell it and have a Russell Day Long built. Can't wait to start racking up the mileage on this bike. Should be good times for sure...

Here are a few pics...

FJR2_zpsc909a4bf.jpg

FJR4_zps93c8a0ce.jpg

Lookin good out there in UT! I love FJR in black and yes this bike does get under your skin. Congrats on your ride and welcome and let the farkling begin. PM.

you should call GP and order yourself a rear shock for starters.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking at putting a Givi E55 on the back and trying to decide what to use for a tank bag. I like a nice size tank bag to fit all my electrical stuff in. Camera's, Cell Phone etc. Anyone have any suggestions. My last one wan a magnetic bag but I don't remember who made it. I did like it though...

The bike already has GP Front Suspension with a Ohlins YA-036 shock. Problem is the previous owner says the bike was set up for a guy 200lbs with gear. I weigh 250 without gear.. lol.. So not sure what I am gonna have to do to make it work. This is what he told me in an email about what he has into the suspension.. If any of you suspension guru's have any idea what this means and what I am going to need to do to make it work for me please speak up and let me know...

According to the paperwork from GP the front is 36X250X1.0 KG 9.80 N/mm Fork spring. On the rear I could not find anything but it is a YA-036 shock and I told them my weight with all the gear was 200lbs.

I was going to say "+1" but if it already has an upgraded shock you just need a new spring and possibly have it serviced while the spring is being installed. You'll want new springs in the forks as well.

I'm looking at putting a Givi E55 on the back and trying to decide what to use for a tank bag. I like a nice size tank bag to fit all my electrical stuff in. Camera's, Cell Phone etc. Anyone have any suggestions. My last one wan a magnetic bag but I don't remember who made it. I did like it though...
This one https://www.revzilla.com/product/rapid-transit-recon-19-magnetic-tank-bag?utm_source=product&kwd=&gclid=CNXm8MP_jrkCFcOh4Aod9w4AUg fits well especially if you're adding an MCL triple

I have, and love, my Bags Connection City EVO tank bag. It is big enough to carry everything that you want to but not so big that it fouls on the handlebar switch gear. I also like the quick detach tank ring feature for fuel ups. No they are not cheap, but if you have any $$ left over, think abouit installing the electrified tank ring feature so you do not even have to plug in a power cord. I don't have that feature, and just make do with a single power cord for all the 'tronics contained within.

I was going to say "+1" but if it already has an upgraded shock you just need a new spring and possibly have it serviced while the spring is being installed. You'll want new springs in the forks as well.
I've already PM'ed with the OP.

Front springs are 1.0 kg/mm. They will surely be fine for a solo rider. That is what I'm running (I'm 220 lbs on a light day) and I only get 32mm sag with minimum preload cranked in. Ideal street sag is 35 to 45mm.

I'd do some sag measurements, damping adjustments, and ride the bike before I dropped a bunch more chingo getting the suspension refreshed. Who knows how many miles are on it now? It might be just fine, or better!
wink.png

BTW - It's an AE, so it's Gray, not black.

Congrats to the OP...

...who certainly has a good thick skin.

I assume you've figured out how to move the windshield up and down by now. ;)

j/k...congrats on the bike.

Congrats on your new ride!! You live in some great, nearly year round, riding country!! I know, as I lived in St. George for 23 years.

Have fun!!

Congrats to the OP......who certainly has a good thick skin.

I assume you've figured out how to move the windshield up and down by now.
wink.png

j/k...congrats on the bike.
Hey what do you know I found the magic windshield button. And it actually does raise and lower.. Wow these bikes are better than I remember..

Also I really like the Recon 19 but I would actually like a larger bag.. Any ideas on what a good larger tank bag is? Preferably magnetic. I definitely don't' want to spend $230 on a bags connection even though they look like a nice bag.. And I like they way they hookup. I liked the magnetic for fueling also cause I would just lift it and let it hang to the side while fueling. Easy peasy...

not until you go around a corner.....

you will find that you are dragging your pegs all the time.

R

I got a Kappa tank bag, made by givi. The tank lock mechanism is cool, keeps the bag off the tank. Add a powerlet port and your set.

Speak to me. I have lowered the pegs on pretty much every bike I have ever owned. What is different with the FJR? Is there some inherent issues with lowering the pegs on the FJR?
If you're feeling cramped, you can either lower the pegs or increase the seat height. If your seat isn't on the high setting (assuming your's is adjustable), put it on the high position and see what happens. If it's not enough, a custom seat can be made with a higher position. Still not enough? Peg lowers.

I put a set of MCL lowers on mine tonight. Will hit a few twisties tomorrow. I'm no knee dragger anyway so we'll see what happens. Over time, if they turn out to be a pain in the ass, I'll remove them. But I think they're going to work out just fine for me because in the end I'll sacrifice a bit of lean angle for comfort.

Bottom line is... don't discount the peg lowers straight away. Try them, if you think it's the right thing to do. If riders are getting rid of them, buy or borrow a set from someone.