Losing my M/C Racing Virginity - MotoGP or MotoAmerica

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hppants

Reaction score
Been a huge motorsports fan my whole life. I've seen many different 4-wheeled events live from all kinds of racing, but I've never seen a motorcycle race. Either the COTA or Barber would be easy 4-day weekends for me, take Friday and Monday off.

1. Would you recommend my first race be a Moto America race or a MotoGP race?

2. I've been to COTA twice now for car races. The series of turns that start at the end of the long backstretch seems to be where most of the passing takes place for cars. Is that also true for bikes? The MotoGP race general admission tickets seem to give fans a lot of choices - we can move around during the weekend and catch different angles of racing. I did that for the IMSA race and it was neat. Good idea or not?

3. If I go to Barber - which area should I sit at? Package to purchase?

I'm not real worried about saving a nickel - let's face it, all of it is expensive. My brother would fly from SeaTac and meet me. He's also a motorsports fan, but knows nothing about motorcycles - so that is also a consideration.

4. If I go to Barber, I can see that museum, which is on the bucket list for me.

What do you think?

A lot of the passing in MC racing happens in the turns. I have been a fan of the AMA Superbike series since the early 80's, since Mid-Ohio is only a 45 minute ride, my brother and I would go every year. I volunteered for 5 years with tire control at Mid-Ohio for the AMA (now Moto America, and no longer on the schedule) Series races. I was all set to work last years Moto America/Moto GP race weekend at Indy, but due to health issues could not make the race. So I still have not seen a Moto GP race. Either series would be great to see...pick one and plan on attending.

I think I'd pick Barber...just to see the museum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you, Pants. I can't comment on either of the tracks you're considering. My first race attendance was a World Superbike weekend, and I saw perhaps 15 AMA races after that. Just awesome. TV doesn't do motorcycle racing (or any other racing, from what I've heard) justice. Standing against the fence at Road America, at the point where they shut down for turn 5, is breathtaking. You hear the exhaust of the bikes coming at you, and when they get closer, you can actually hear the "WHOOOSH" of the air being pushed by the bikes. Indescribable. About 15 years ago, entering turn 5, the AMA radar was showing 188 or 189 mph for Mladin, Duhamel, Zemke and Yates. Yates was in fourth place, just 200 feet or so behind those top three. Right in front of my face, in the space of about a half a second, he slams the throttle shut on his Suzuki, and grabs the front brake hard. The back tire comes 9 or 10 inches off the pavement (remember, this is at 180+ mph), then very gradually, sets it back down just before he leans into turn 5. It looked so smooth , that if you saw it on TV, with their long-range cameras, you may have not noticed it, or the violence of the event. In person, unbelievable.

Sorry for the long prose. The point is that yes, you should go to the races, and yes, you will be amazed. See the races from many different corners, straights, and braking areas. And yes, I HAVE to make it to the bike museum at Barber. Oh, man, Pants, you're going to have fun. We expect a full report after the event.

I have not seen a live MC race, but I have been to the Barber museum. You will need most of a day to see the museum, so plan accordingly.

Just more proof that mediocre minds think alike...

I am really wanting to get over to Texas and see the MotoGP race this year. I really want to see Rossi race and he has to retire soon.

My HD and BMW riding friends/coworkers and I really want to see the museum at Barber. We have long planned a gentle run up the Natchez Trace and then a turn East to spend the day in that museum. Due to the fact that we cannot all be off at the same time, this trip has not happened. I was somewhat surprised that all of them refused to make the trip unless Pop rode with us. That speaks volumes for me. I cannot say that catching a race at the same time ever crossed my mind. I wanted it to be more peaceful while I soaked up all the museum had to offer. I did not want to be distracted or hurried by a race I should be attending.

I am thinking that with my lack of experience I would not be able to detect a huge difference between the performance of the MotoGP bikes and the (formerly) AMA Superbikes. I bet either of them would be exciting beyond measure.

I am also thinking that seeing a MotoGP race in either Italy or Spain would yield much more interesting scenery. In the stands of course.

Have never seen a MotoGP in person, I would like to do so at some point in time....But to me it would be a bit restricted coming from what I have been spoiled with here in Wisconsin. We have Road America here about 45 mins north of me - 4 mile track, and you can literally be anywhere on the track fence sitting to watch every turn, walk / ride your motorcycle/bicycle or even drive your car all around to get to a different vantage point.... If you haven't seen a race here - I highly recommend it, its a great venue, and they are continually upgrading every year to make it even better, opening up more areas to watch from, since the whole track is surround by woods, they installed zip lines, and are adding more and more huge LCD Screens all over the place. Plus there is some beautiful riding in the surrounding area. The history of racing in the small town of Elkhart Lake is great !!

Like Raccoon mentioned its absolutely mind blowing.....

On top of that, lucky for me, I was introduced to the guy that makes signs for me at my business at the track, he has exclusive rights to make all the signs for Road America, we are really good friends and he gives me all access passes to go pretty much anywhere I want, when I want.

Looking forward to spring, my FZ-09 is pretty much all set for track days up there this year.

Add Road America to the list of spectacles to visit.... I know its a long trip but worth the journey...

Ha - my Gen 3 made it all the way from up here through Nashville, Jack Daniels, Skip Barber Museum and on down to Destin FL and back....

Was a great trip, and the Museum was spectacular - wish we had more time to enjoy it..... So much to see, so little time.

I only used 4 of the gears this last trip.... so you'll be fine.....

If you have an opportunity to go see a MotoGP race, do it! I was in Barcelona a few years back for a work trip, the same weekend as the Catalunya race. I just wasn't able to make it work with my schedule, and have been kicking myself ever since!

Ha - my Gen 3 made it all the way from up here through Nashville, Jack Daniels, Skip Barber Museum and on down to Destin FL and back....Was a great trip, and the Museum was spectacular - wish we had more time to enjoy it..... So much to see, so little time.

I only used 4 of the gears this last trip.... so you'll be fine.....
As I think you know, 'pants, Pop and myself have covered considerable ground on our "limited" and pathetic 5 speed equipped bikes. That sounds like an awesome trip to take in all that. I am wanting to tour the Jack Daniel's Distillery as well. It all sounded great except that I could have left off the Destin FL part of the trip!

There is a huge difference between the two race bikes. Go to Moto GP first, those bikes are from another planet.
Bring your ear plugs.
I usually follow both series but the last couple of years have made that impossible.

I do not need earplugs. My wife shouting at me all these years has made me permanently deaf.

Just kidding. I have been working in chemical plants and refineries almost all of my adult life, hearing protection is a constant and everyday thing. I use electronic earmuffs when I shoot, I was actually wondering about wearing those at a MotoGP race. Of course, I do not want to mess up my hair with the muffs.

Effin hilarious, Redfish!
I try. I really try.

Just to throw another idea into your mix, Barber has a great vintage race weekend in October. Get to see the old stuff ripping around like the old days, I understand they even have a camping package that weekend where you stay right in the infield.

Go see a Supercross Race in a nice indoor stadium, drink a few beers and watch the whole thing unfold below you and on the giant TV screens. Get there early and check out the pits, take some pics with the Monster Energy girls. That's my kind of spectator sport.
smile.png

Thanks to all of you for your input. By all means, please keep it coming.

Swollen (and others) - I definitely get it. Seeing race cars in person is unbelievable. I have no doubt seeing race bikes in real life will be equally enjoyable.

Joe - I see that both the MotoAmerica and the MotoGP races at COTA are the same weekend. I could kill two birds with one stone. Each series has a 3-day ticket package. I suppose I have to buy both tickets to see all of the races? IOW - these two series are not related and I just buy one ticket?

My brother loves the COTA track - (come to think of it, what's not to love????) - we had an absolute hoot at the endurance races there two years ago.

OTOH - I'd really like to see the Barber Museum. Of course, as Biker Chuck points out, perhaps it would be better to see that on a vintage race event. Kind of place the museum pieces on the track.

Redfish - would you and your posse consider joining me this year for the race? We could ride out there together.

Ok, that's not all. I watched my first race at Barber and it's a fantastic facility and I'd highly recommend seeing the races there for sure. At the time it really was the closest, but it was a good place to see some racing. Racing here isn't what it used to be but it's hopefully coming back, and I'm excited about that.

That said, I really think you should come to Texas for MotoGP. After all, it's the big dance, and you never know when it's your last chance to see Rossi, which you should do at least once in your life. You know who's going to win (stupid Marquez, he loves this track) but the other races are fun and a mystery so worth watching. I usually get a GA pass and go sit wherever I want.

Also you should come to Texas for the most important reason of all. I happen to live here and will be at the races this year.
biggrin.png