loud noise

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staintune007

Reaction score
THeirs a loud noise when i hit a bump in my upper sterring head .i change the fork oil ,like i normally do every 9000 miles .But know theirs is a loud noise .Thank guys

I had this happen once.

I....Uh, I mean somebody removed the upper clamp so I could adjust the steering head bearings.

When I they replaced the triple clamp, they didn't torque the main nut down.

It was clunking pretty bad over bumps.

Try this to tell if the steering head bearings are loose.

• Put the bike on the centerstand and either use a piece of wood & floor jack or have someone push down on the rear of the bike to take all the weight off the front wheel.
  • Grab the front forks and try to move the forks back & forth.
  • If any movement is detected the steering head bearings are loose and need to be adjusted.

If the bearings are loose this would provide a good opportunity to pull the steering head apart to clean & relube the bearings. You will probably want a service manual handy when you attempt this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this happen once.

I....Uh, I mean somebody removed the upper clamp so I could adjust the steering head bearings.

When I they replaced the triple clamp, they didn't torque the main nut down.

It was clunking pretty bad over bumps.

+1 When I bought my '08, the main nut was loose and made quite a clank when the suspension hit a bump.

Try this to tell if the steering head bearings are loose.

• Put the bike on the centerstand and either use a piece of wood & floor jack or have someone push down on the rear of the bike to take all the weight off the front wheel.
  • Grab the front forks and try to move the forks back & forth.
  • If any movement is detected the steering head bearings are loose and need to be adjusted.

If the bearings are loose this would provide a good opportunity to pull the steering head apart to clean & relube the bearings. You will probably want a service manual handy when you attempt this.
If this doesn't work try re-torquing the engine mounting bolts. I had a similar noise, did a full inspection on the steering like listed above but to no avail. Finally found a couple of the engine bolts not quite tight. Re-torque all, no more clunk.