Louisville to Arkansas

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jagermeister

Reaction score
I had a conference in Little Rock last week, and the schedule couldn't have been better: morning meetings, free afternoons, no formal-wear. No way I was caging that trip! On the way out, I scheduled a couple of client meetings in W. KY, and carved up the roads around the Twin Lakes: Map

DSC00005-1.jpg

DSC00007-3.jpg

DSC00009-1.jpg

After spending the night in Murray, I blazed through the booooooring Farmland, on the way to N. Arkansas, and had fun on Rt. 5, south to L.R: Map

A couple of hard rainstorms further proved the Dunlop RoadSmart's value; carving up mountain sweepers in the rain can actually be fun!

I planned my second day in Akansas based on SFO ride reports & local suggestions, choosing Rt. 10 to Petit Jean State Park, then Rt. 7: Map

DSC00010-1.jpg

DSC00013-1.jpg

DSC00016-1.jpg

DSC00015-2.jpg

DSC00019.jpg

DSC00023-1.jpg

DSC00024-2.jpg

DSC00025.jpg

Although I haven't ridden the miles or experienced the roads many here have, Rt. 7 is officially my favorite. Fast sweepers, switchbacks, major elevation changes...NW Arkansas is simply the best riding I've ever experienced.

On my final stretch of Rt. 7, I learned how far a finger tightened Oil Drain Plug will hold: 2k. In my haste last weekend, I must have forgotten to torque the drain plug. :glare:

My oil light came on, I coasted into a gas station, and saw a pool of oil forming on the ground below:

DSC00028.jpg

DSC00029-2.jpg

DSC00035.jpg

Holy Shit! Where's my drain plug? Where am I? What the hell do I do now?

I borrowed a phone book, and was relieved to find a Yamaha Dealership in Harrison, just 7 miles north. Ken, the Service Manager, found that the plug had just been delivered (lucky for me, since they didn't have it the day before), and set me up with 4 fresh quarts of YamaLube.

Really, I was EXTREMELY fortunate that the plug fell out where it did. The previous 100 miles of Rt 7 were gorgeous, rugged wilderness, with very little civilization, and certainly no Yamaha dealerships with in-stock drain plugs.

Look closely, and you can see the spot where the oil trail begins, about 1/4 mile from the gas station:

DSC00034-3.jpg

Ken and the guys at Yamaha of Harrison are great; he gave me great service, and a ride back to my imobile machine. Look them up if you're nearby.

Here's Ken, with my filthy, but freshly-lubed, FJR:

DSC00032.jpg

I rode back to L.R on Rt. 65, attended the next day's meeting, then slabbed most of the 600 miles back to Louisville, Friday afternoon. In summary, 2000+ miles, gorgeous scenery, incredible roads, and my undamaged mistress in the Garage. When can I do it again? :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
wow! that is some luck that you were that close to Harrison! glad everything worked out ok

wow! that is some luck that you were that close to Harrison! glad everything worked out ok
Thanks! Yamaha of Harrison seriously saved my ass; they actually took delivery of the plug 5 minutes AFTER my initial call to them. On the first call, Ken told me it wasn't in stock, but they'd check the shippment just coming in!

You should have heard the phone call I made to Keithaba. I was actually prepared to have him overnight the drain plug from Louisville (closing right then, @ 5pm eastern) to me, and sleep at the gas station to await its arrival.

Ahhhh...fun on the road!

Last edited by a moderator:
You velly, velly lucky, GI !! Glad it turned out to be all good memories :yahoo: and only one close call. :dribble: