Lowering the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silver penguin.

Damn!

I'm a day late & a dollar short with my advice again.

Glad you're reaching the ground.

dobias :glare:

Silver penguin.
Damn!

I'm a day late & a dollar short with my advice again.

Glad you're reaching the ground.

The thought was appreciated nonetheless.

I've fallen in love with my bike all over again. It still as sweet as it ever was, at speed and around the twisties but now I can control it at slow speeds, with confidence. We went out for coffee this morning and I didn't want to come home. We had yard work to do, but come on? only ninety miles round trip? We could have found another Starbucks at least..... say 200 miles from home?????

:D

Jill

Came across this company, which their lowering links(dogbones) were referenced earlier in this thread:
https://www.koubalink.com/FJR1300.html

They have lowering components for many motorcycles, the FJR being one of them.

That's the one I've got and the links have worked really well, with no noticeable effect on handling so far. The only problem I've seen is that the lean angle on the side stand is not so great.

Jill

Silver Penguin: I came accross this company while looking for suspension parts,shocks, springs etc. They have parts to lower the fjr you may want to check them out

" traxxion dynamics the are in the USA "

this may work for you good luck

weekend rider

Silver Penguin,

The sidestand "stop" needs to be ground or files about 1/8" to allow the sidestand to swing farther forward. This will not only allow the bike to lwean more to the left but it makes the sidestand more stable IMHO.

Some feedback I sent to Norm at koubalink.

The links went on easily and look great. The fit and finish are excellent. Seat height is now superb and I found a little difference in handling without lowering the front forks but a non issue considering the overall satisfaction I now feel with the bike. I'm 5'6" and this has made the world of difference to my comfort zone when stopped and I have also found the change in posture has resulted in not being pressed into the tank when riding. Rode for 5 hours yesterday and I can truly say I am pleased. Side stand works fine and I am still able to put it on the centre stand with little effort.

Some feedback I sent to Norm at koubalink.
The links went on easily and look great. The fit and finish are excellent. Seat height is now superb and I found a little difference in handling without lowering the front forks but a non issue considering the overall satisfaction I now feel with the bike. I'm 5'6" and this has made the world of difference to my comfort zone when stopped and I have also found the change in posture has resulted in not being pressed into the tank when riding. Rode for 5 hours yesterday and I can truly say I am pleased. Side stand works fine and I am still able to put it on the centre stand with little effort.

Good for you.... I went a bit overboard.... got the Koubalinks... worked great... then I shaved the seat...got the height and width right, but.... more on that later...

Got a 1" shorter set of wilbers front springs and rear shock... got that on, my mech also slid the forks down some fraction of an inch (dont' remember exactally)...

Got the dang thing so low we had to take the center stand off..it was scraping...

Still handles great... at least as far as my old lady riding habits go.... but it is a BIG bike!

Also got the sidestand bent so it's level, and the bike leans nicely when parked... especially in hot asphalt! <G> But I'm still carefull at low speeds parking and stuff....

The FJR handles and rides so easy that I think I rode halfway acrosss the country using only one hand...

I also drilled foru 1 1/4 inch holes across the bottom of the stock windshield... seems to let the air flow better.

Oh yeah... you dont' shave the stock seat and take off cross country without a test ride first :dribble: ... I have a lowered/forward Corbin seat, but havn't put it on yet because it's very hard to get on with the Givi luggare rack..Gloing to chop off a half inch on the back end of the seat and see how that fits. Also maybe two sets of risers...<BG>

Us ladies arms arent' as long as guys arms, either.... oh yeah... I'm 5'6"..

Hey it took me three seats and three sets of handlebars before I got my Harley comfortable... so no biggie with the FJR.... although the bars a a bit harder to configure.... We'll get er done, tho! <G>

Mary

I've ridden my 03 for over 9K miles now at the stock height, with 2" soles on my boots and come to a conclusion. From 5mph up to WAAAAYYYY too fast, this bike is perfect for me. But, from 0-5mph the bike is too big.
The point was highlighted during a trip last weekend. We rode through varied conditions and road surfaces. Every time that I felt uncomfortable, it was when I wanted a solid footing on the ground and couldn't get one.

Has anyone lowered their bike? and how does it affect the handling?

Jill
er, um......

TT-R50-1.JPG

I understand your dilemma-I have a 31" inseam, yet find myself occasionally fearful of a lay down when pushing the bike backwards etc and hitting sand or some other slippery footing. Can't imagine what it would be like with less. Try the different dogbone, raised forks mod-every little bit will help, should be good for at least an easy inch, which should help. With TDubs seat mod gaining maybe another inch or so, should make a big improvement.
So, how ARE things in the lollipop guild?