Lustrous Black

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Liquid Silver was first poured on these shores over 5 years ago. As with many of the faithful gathered here, I was

an early convert to its spell. It was like nothing that had come before and it was so right in so many ways. It

provided the avenue for both power and peace, strength and solitude. I spent three years under the spell of Liquid

Silver, friction testing advanced synthetic rubber compounds up and down the asphalt by-ways of the eastern United

States. From the Dragon, to the Skyway, to Biketoberfest and beyond -- Liquid Silver never let me down. The spell

was challenged when Cereulean Silver came, and even later by Galaxy Blue, yet Liquid Silver continued to hold

sufficient sway. There was sure to be nothing that would stop the flow of the precious Liquid Silver - except

maybe life itself.

Well life did stop the flow - and the liquid started to puddle in the corner of the garage. A car for the teen-

ager, a new job, and some vintage bikes all conspired to slow and eventually stop the flow of Liquid Silver. Two

years ago - the end came as a new member of the faithful stepped up to ensure the flow would continue. Liquid

Silver would continue its journey, with this member of the faithfull watching from the sidelines.

The sidelines have always been and continued to be a great source of entertainment and knowledge. While I have

been silent for many years, I remember fondly the early community that Liquid Silver created. From pictures of

packing crates, to the first farkles, to the hurricane interrupted gatherings, the faithful gathered quickly. Gen

II came along and delivered an even better platform and the parade continued to march on. I continued to watch and

listen and was doing life just fine. Doing just fine for almost two years that is - until that one day when it

showed up. It came along like a well ordered plan, just like many had in the past. But this time it was

different. This time it was Black!

One dictionary entry describes Raven as Lustrous Black. Our marketing friends in Cypress decided to name the cloak

of the current steed Raven. Raven, a Lustrous Black. The spell was back and the quest was on.

The one true source of Lustrous Black was obviously the Yamaha Motor Company Limited of Iwata Japan. The quest

could have pursued the source, except for that small problem of being 7084 miles away. (Let's see -- $4 gas, lots

of water, different language, import duties -- Well, Raven may be a Lustrous Black, but Iwata is still one third

the distance around the globe -- probably best to focus the quest just a bit downstream from the source.) The

quest could also pursue an alternate source, as long as the alternate source showed proper respect to the origin of

the Lustrous Black. The quest explored multiple options, but was heavily influenced by clues from the sidelines.

A two letter code kept appearing. Could the spell be quenched via this simple code - only exploration of the code

would tell.

US Hwy 31 stretches some 1200 miles from Spanish Fort, Alabama to Mackinaw City Michigan. Just 300 miles from its

southern terminus lies a small 134 year old community. Luckily, this community is also only 230 miles from my own.

This community has become centric to this quest - just as it has for scores of others. The community is Cullman

Alabama - and here is the view from the Interstate at 9am CT this morning:

cullmansignjd3.jpg

As many have no doubt already figured out the ending to this story - I will accelerate the tale. If you are in the

eastern half of these United States - I would submit there is one source that must not be ignored - the two letter

code for the quest is of course - D and H.

dhww6.jpg

For those who have never been - it is an experience that is hard to describe. The modest surroundings, 35 year

history and real life people that make D&H what it is do not portray themselves easily via pictures or words. As

my 10yr old Son said to Renaa after hanging out in the dealerhip most of the morning - "You guys know everybody

that comes in here!" Needless to say - I must add my own good experience to the many who have come before me. The

alternate source is true and because of that -- my quest for Lustrous Black ended today.

truckfjrsl8.jpg

fjrtrailermi1.jpg

fjrrearhx4.jpg

After my two year hiatus from FJR ownership - it is good to be back.

Did I mention I'm partial to Black?

:clapping: Welcome to the FJR Forum....(THAT didn't exist 5 years ago)...

And to being re-assimilated into the collective of FJR ownership. :clapping:

That was a great write-up. You had me at:

Liquid Silver was first poured on these shores over 5 years ago.

Most excellent prose, and a great read. Welcome back.

But...........

A F*$#@ing trailer?!?!?! :p

Me thinks your son would have preferred to ride home on the back of that steed.

Excellent write up.

Your pic is the first one I have seen of D&H although I have done business with them before. I am quite surprised at how small it looks. And yet they are well known.

Its all about customer service

Congrats! Very nice.

Where did you get your trailer? I'd like to pick one of those up one day soon.

SR-71

Very nice!
By the way, what brand of trailer is that?

The trailer is made by Kendon Industries:

Kendon Dual Trailer

It can haul two big bikes - or with the extra wheel chock - one in the middle. I have a half dozen classic bikes that I often haul to shows - and this trailer is just great for that.

As far as getting the FJR off the trailer - Last night after gettting home - I took the bike out and floggd it for about 20miles and got the first oil change done. Then this morning, I was able to sneek away for a few hours and made a quick 150 mile round trip run up to Mercier's Orchards in Blue Ridge GA for a box of fresh fried apple pies. It was a very quick acclimation process back to the FJR.

Wow - it is just great to be back.

awsome write up and congrats to getting back on the road. The first ride must have felt like being reborn

I too have heard the siren call of silver and black. I just couldn't bear to part with my old silver friend so it waits in the garage for my son to return. Nice write up. Welcome back. Post some pictures from a real ride and we will forgive the trailer. I hope at least you put a cover on the black beauty before she suffered the indignity of riding in a trailer like a common bike. :glare: