Main Fuse Alternate Source

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichDoyle

Reaction score
I thought it'd be a good idea to have a spare main fuse around for my '13. Checked around local shops. Seems nobody stocks these (or they don't stock enough), and they list for like 10 bucks. I happened to be a NAPA store looking for a fuse for a different matter and there sat a 50 Amp fuse that looked just right: $3.92. It's even red.

So I picked it up and checked it out. It turns out the outside dimensions are a fraction of a mm too large to fit into the FJR's socket. One can see (barely) the difference in dimension by examining the OEM against this one. A wee bit of dremel touch up and it'll go in and work just fine.

So if you be on the road, far from a Yamaha dealer who has one and this fuse blows, find ye a NAPA store, pick up yon fuse, rub it on the curb a bit and it'll fit right in there. Of course, if this one blows you've got a bigger problem. But at least once that's resolved you'll have this alternative.

Now it's possible that this NAPA fuse has a greater clearing time (takes longer to blow at a given overload) than the OEM fuse, and therefore might not give the same circuit protection, so you may want to replace it with the OEM when you get the chance.