Maine east/west mc roads and towns

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAxeman

Reaction score
Anybody know Maine well enough to recommend a nice town near the Maine/New Hampshire border to stay in overnight? We will be coming up from southern CT around the 1st of July and want to stay someplace in Maine/NH area before heading to Bar Harbor and eventually Nova Scotia. Also looking for recommendations of good riding roads across Maine to Bar Harbor. All recommendations appreciated.

If you're slabbing it, I head for Brusnwick. Fair size town, full of services, stores and resturants. Easy 4 hour ride from Hartford. Then a few hours more up to Bar Harbor.

If you're doing the inland route, I'd hit Fryeburg (give my regards to Marty Engstrom!). Then, 302 to 26 to 2 to 17, lunch in Camden :wub: , then on to Bah Habah.

As you are in the height of the vacation season, I'd be booking rooms now. Can't recommend any hotel in particular, but Google can help.

Thanks TW...Fryeburg is exactly what I was just looking at. Mapquest draws a convoluted trail from NH to Bar Harbor solidifying the Maine belief that "you can't git theyah from heyah". Was at first intending to stay somewhere around Errol NH the first day but having a rider with me I don't want to subject her to a 350 or 400 mile second day ride so Fryeburg sounds like it might be the ticket.

Axe,

Also you may want to check out Bethel Maine. There is a fairly sweet ride from Errol along rt26 that goes through Grafton Notch on the way to Bethel.

A couple nice bed and breakfast type places in Bethel too.

Sudbury Inn, Bethel Inn and Country Club come to mind. There are several more.

Rt 2 east from Bethel is a nice east-west road heading toward the Maine coast.

Most of the roads up that way are great bike roads. I often head up that way to get some decent riding conditions.

Other areas worth checking out up that way: Rangely lake and surrounds; Moosehead Lake region.

Pretty country- just keep an eye out for moose- they could car less about approching trucks, let alone motorcycles.

FJReady

FJ, the Sudbury Inn looks like a nice place...also found a place called the Crocker Pond House in the area also which looks very nice and reasonably priced. Really would prefer to go at a different time (September) but have to base my vacation around my girlfriends time off so I guess I will be joining the throngs of other tourists swarming all over Maine like a bunch of insects.

The further north you go, the less tourists you'll encounter, 'cept for Bar Harbor and Camden. Truth be told, the best time to be in Maine is January or February. No one there and the places that are open cater to you hand and foot. Boy, I miss New England... :(

Hampton Beach in New Hampshire is fun if you want a bit action. On the ocean, it is a place to check out some nice bikinis and perhaps a live band in the evening. Blink and you will miss the NH oceanfront.

Let me know if your going to roll through Camden on your route. I have a summer place just South in Owls Head and would be interested in meeting for lunch if your interested and then I would take the ride up to Bar Harbour with you, then turn around. It's only about an hour North and can be a fun ride. Let me know??

Jeffrey

Lovely trip Axeman, however be forewarned that everyone else from the immediate neighboring states with also be heading up the Maine coast as well for the 4th of July.....Hard to beat the views from US route 1 along the coast so this is the obvious reccomendation and be sure to stop in Camden, my personal favorite quaint coastal village. Blow through Freeport, the shopping outlet center of the planet, although the L.L. Bean store is awesome and if you have a chance, idle through old town area of Portland, down next to the bay----very cool pubs and artsy fartsy shops, excellent area to find lunch if the timing is right for you. Oh yes, be very speed limit conscience in the small coastal towns, I think they fund their public works departments with speed traps....man I envy your little adventure, a fellow can take a left turn anywhere in New England and be lost/riding for days...here in Alaska you can literally count the paved roads on both hands. March 25 today and its snowing like a big dog........the little local Yamaha shop ordered one extra Feeger A and I've got first dibbs! supposed to be in on the 28th. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheney it sounds as if your due for your first IBA run to check out the roads in New England. Something that I have always wanted to do is a cross Canada run but unfortunately time doesn't allow it. Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure we will be taking The Cat ferry from NS to Portland and will probably stay in Portland overnight so I will look for places to stay in Old Town as you suggested.

Jeffrey, I'll probably be taking TWN and FJReady's advice and stay in either Bethel or Fryburg on the way up and will probably shoot over to Camden on the way to Bar Harbor. I'll let you know our itinerary once it gets a little closer. I know the timing sucks, I'm sure it would be much better in mid Sept. but I gotta go when time allows. If the blue bike doesn't show on time I may be riding VFR yellow solo instead....I hope not because I may not have a SO by the time I get back.

There is a place called the riverview resort in Bethel that is very biker friendly. The guy who runs it rides and has a sign next to the name of the place that says "Welcome Bikers". The rooms are 2 bedrooms, livingroom, dining room, bath for about $100.00. The Sudbury Inn has great steak tips, but go downstairs as it is more of a pub atmosphre. Also the Sunday River Brewery is about a 1/2 mile from the River view! :D